xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joeblogg

Forum Makers which one is the best?

Which forum maker is the best?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

W...T...F!?You don't have phpBB on that list!?Think about it...IPB costs like... US$140 for 1 license and like US$80 for future licenses? vBulletin costs like $170 for one license and US$90 for future licenses, something like that...SMF's licensing terms are TERRIBLE! You can't modify it without fear of getting sued by them!So... phpBB owns just because of that... It is Open Source AND its free... It has basically ALL of the features you would find in IPB and vBulletin and SMF, it also has some more!Its open source meaning you can modify its base code directly without fear of getting sued and you can even ask for support...phpBB is so simple and effective to use, its code is so clean and structured, I'm using phpBB as a base to build my own CMS and I'm even using phpBB's code to build a text-based game engine!You cannot get past phpBB in terms of simplicity, modification-ity, open source-ity, and price... Sure, I would recommend vBulletin or IPB for company boards because of security issues, but if you're very small or don't have the money, phpBB is ULTIMATE, and once you've tried phpBB3, you WILL KNOW WHY...So ditch other BBSs and use phpBB3! NOW!Which reminds me... The best BBS is actually JiveSoftware's forum thing... Almost ALL the big companies use it, including EA, NASA, Northrop etc...

W...T...F!?

You don't have phpBB on that list!?

i can't believe i forgot that! i don't own a forum or anything. i wanted to know which forum is the best for the viewers point of view. layout, just general ease. but for the makers of the forum i guess your right in saying phpbb is the best. but how could something that is free be better than ip board and vbulletin which you have to pay a lot of money for. there must be a catch.

i still stick by my decission for ipboard.

also vbulletin is very popular for the big players in forums. here are the 15 forums with the most members.

1. Gaia Online - phpbb

2.IMobile - discuz

3.Zenhex - vbulletin

4.Deviant art - custom

5.Bioware forums - custom

6.Game show network - vbulletin

7.Myspace forums - custom

8.IMDb forums - custom

9.Sound click - phpbb

10. Gamefaqs - custom

11. Cfan - vbulletin

12.BeepWorld - vbulletin

13. MLG Pro - vbulletin

14.MacFixIt - UBB

15.The Sims Resource - vbulletin

Only 2 of the top 15 forums use phpBB

6 of the top 15 forums use vbulletin

and none use IPBoard

so if phpbb is so good (i'm not questioning how good it is) then why do so many use custom and vbulletin when they can use phpBB which is free and saves a lot of money and hastle building a custom one or using vbulletin.