xisto Community
DeM0nFiRe

Dem0nfire's Irrlicht Testbed 2 V1.2.0

Hello everyone,

Some of you may already know that a few months ago I started DeM0nFiRe's Irrlicht Test Bed. It was my first venture into both 3D Programming and C++, using the Irrlicht Open Source, High Performance 3D Game Engine. I was able to come up with a simple demo of a First Person Shooter level where you could run, walk and jump. However, I could not get very far past that with the little knowledge of C++ I had, so I had to put it on the back burner for a while.

Now that I have finally had time to learn the parts of C++ I was missing, I am now ready to start working on 3D games again. This time around, however, there are a few major differences from my last time around. My first Irrlicht Test Bed is, for now, discontinued. I will now be working on "DeM0nFiRe's Irrlicht Test Bed 2"

Goals for DeM0nFiRe's Irrlicht Test Bed 2:

The primary goal for this project is, of course, learning. I am using this to learn 3D programming, and also to experience first hand the problems that arise from using a complex language like C++ over a more user-friendly language like Ruby. This aspect of the second test bed is identical to the first.

The most noticeable change for anyone who tried out my first test bed, is the fact that I have departed from the First Person viewpoint. The reason being, quite simply, that it is too easy. Irrlicht has a built in First Person Shooter camera, and I wanted to go through programming my own camera so I decided to go Third Person.

The biggest change is that this project has an end goal. When I released my first test bed, I stated that the project was just going to kind of evolve as I decided to add different features. Well, I've decided that a lack of end goal is bad for motivation, so this test bed will have an end goal. The end goal for this project is to eventually be a fully working code base for a 3rd Person Action RPG similar in style to the Zelda games for the Nintendo 64.

Current Release:

The current release version for DeM0nFiRe's Irrlicht Test Bed is v1.2.0

(Current release uses art that came with the Irrlicht Engine)

This release attempts to fix the known issues [003] with framerate independent movement and [004] with the latest Irrlicht version.

The features in the test bed this release are as follows:

3rd Person Camera:

--Rotation on 3 axes independent of the actor's rotation. Angles are controlled by mouse.

--Chase distance can be changed on the fly with the mouse wheel.

--Follows the Player Actor (No, Really?!?)

Player Actor:

--Walking (Actually, running. Only one speed right now)

--Turning (This is a little awkward right now, and it can take some getting used to)

--Jumping

Special feature by request of missingno:

--Double Jump (Please note that the code for double jump is buggy and tested only slightly)

Known Issues: (db == Discovered By)

[001]The camera does not 'accelerate' when it moves. It will move directly proportional to the amount you move the mouse. This can make it kind of hard to get used to the controls, but it is do-able. (db. DeM0nFiRe)

[002]There are some weird things that happen when you jump or run in certain spots on the map. This is a problem with the map's collision info, I am pretty sure. Some future release will have a better map, but for now we'll have to live with it. (db. DeM0nFiRe)

[003]The framerate dependent movement causes higher-end machines to have problems when moving sydney. (db. Sudi) *Fixed*

[004]Because the program is compiled with Irrlicht 1.4.1 as opposed to 1.4.2, the program runs at an incredibly low framerate for some. (db. Halifax) *Fixed*

Sorry, but I do no have any screenshots because I don't have the program I usually use for screenies installed right now. If anyone really needs them, let me know. I will definitely have screenshots in future releases.

The current release can be downloaded at: DeM0nFiRe's Irrlicht Test Bed 2 V1.2.0

Credits for people who have helped me with my code include:

aanderse

Linkin_T

sudi(jacky)

kaeles

VarmintTheRat

This is year old thread. You can PM thread starter if you want help with programming or game. I doubt, he is active here. So it is better to PM him so that he can get confirmation on email. Other than that i don't think there is anyway to contact him.

So you bumped,and why this topic is not closed? Or still we can reply on this thread? If yes,please send me reply that i am able to reply on bumped topic,if not please give me a warning...I want to follow rules and don't post in old topic but this topic still is not closed and sender is active.

So you bumped,and why this topic is not closed? Or still we can reply on this thread? If yes,please send me reply that i am able to reply on bumped topic,if not please give me a warning...I want to follow rules and don't post in old topic but this topic still is not closed and sender is active.

Demonfire is not active. or is he ? and this thread was not bumped by you but by member prchakal. So don't take unwanted warning from mod when you done nothing :). Anyway you're right at one point if thread starter is not active then thread should be closed. As there is hardly useful discussion going on.