xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jezstarr

Warriors Welcome Back Stacey NRL Latest News

Warriors welcome back Stacey

By staff writers

November 07, 2008

NEW Zealand rugby league legend Stacey Jones will return to the NRL in 2009, having signed a one-year contract with the Warriors.

The much-decorated 32-year-old says an approach by Warriors coach Ivan Cleary and a taste of top-level football with the All Golds had rekindled his desire to again playing the NRL.

Its a huge decision but Im so excited about whats ahead, said Jones.

A veteran of 238 NRL games, Jones last played for Warriors in 2005 before moving to France and linking up with Les Catalans in the English Super League.

After two years with the French club, contractual issue meant Jones was forced to sit on the sidelines in 2008.

The truth is I had originally signed a new contract to play on with Les Catalans this year but it was a bit rushed" he said.

"By then wed had two great years in Perpignan and we were homesick and really keen to come back,

The club was good about it and let me go but on the condition I couldnt play for any other club in 2008.

His commitment to play in the New Zealand Rugby Leagues farewell match to long-time Kiwi team-mate Ruben Wiki on October 12 compelled Jones to take on a training programme.

After training to play for the All Golds in New Plymouth and playing in that game, I realised how much I had missed being out there, he said.

The inspirational half-back and leader is aware of the challenge that lies ahead in returning to peak fitness, but says the driving force behind his return is very clear.

My motivation is to try to help the club win a premiership.

"I like the look of the roster the Warriors have for next season.

"To me, its one of the most exciting all-round squads the club has had."

SOURCE: FOXSPORTS.COM.AU

I don't really remember him a lot playing but I play with him on my rugby league game. I've also seen videos of him or highlights shall I say and he is a really good player. Went over to France to play in the European Super League (ESL) for Les Catalans and then recently played for the All Golds. It would be great to see him back and at 32 he is doing reasonably well!