xisto Community
saitunes

Audio Metering On A Computer

Does anyone know of any (standalone) software that will show you the inputs of audio into your computer?This is because we have a recording studio and mix sometimes straight to DVD and 0 (look up Unity Gain) on the analogue mixing desk is not 0 on the Computer (which is understandable) There is metering for audio, but unfortunately you cannot keep this open while recording as it is the options for the hardware. Is there any program or utility that will show you the levels coming into your computer (I understand that it might not work with all hardware) Any links would be much appreciated. Thanks :lol:

Edited by saitunes (see edit history)

hey Saitunes, Are you playing the audio coming from some source through some player ?I am sorry but couldn't understand the scenario properly.. If you are doing a mixing on the PC .. I've seen some metering add-ons for Virtual DJ If you are mixing the audio, outside PC, Like on a real turn-table, then pls tell me how you are playing on the PC ? I'll suggest something further if I get the scenario properly :lol:I can suggest you Sony Sound Forge as a post - processor. It contains the thing you are looking forLastly, If you are playing an audio file on PC. There is a plugin for WinAmp that Does the Job.If you can give me some idea on the connection/setup details I might help ^_^You might also consider some programmer to write this up for you. I am sure you'll find a friend who can do good Coding. Java / VB would do ..

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

hey Saitunes,
Are you playing the audio coming from some source through some player ?

I am sorry but couldn't understand the scenario properly..

If you are doing a mixing on the PC .. I've seen some metering add-ons for Virtual DJ

If you are mixing the audio, outside PC, Like on a real turn-table, then pls tell me how you are playing on the PC ? I'll suggest something further if I get the scenario properly :lol:

I can suggest you Sony Sound Forge as a post - processor. It contains the thing you are looking for

Lastly, If you are playing an audio file on PC. There is a plugin for WinAmp that Does the Job.
If you can give me some idea on the connection/setup details I might help ^_^

You might also consider some programmer to write this up for you. I am sure you'll find a friend who can do good Coding. Java / VB would do ..

We're doing mixing on equipment not in the computer (mixing desk, and outboard processors etc) and sending a stereo mix INTO the computer to record to DVD, along with video from the camera. Mixing straight to DVD, not capturing and then burning, burning it in real time. E.G you perform live on the stage, and give or take 5-10 mins for the DVD to close the session, you can say 'here's your performance' (obviously you would want more than one copy but thats the idea. Walk off, here's your performance)

Hope that helps. It's a windows PC that this is mainly for.

Kind of old, but is this the sort of thing you're looking for?
http://laugeo.free.fr/ameter.html

That is exactly the sort of thing, but for windows mainly, that's what its needed for. a simmilar utility for mac would be nice, if anyone knows of it.

Thanks all
Edited by saitunes (see edit history)