xisto Community
cragllo

Processor Problem 1/2 Speed...

When I load my pc it shows as 1100Mhz, when it used to be 2200Mhz,Its an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400FSBI thought it may be a multiplyer on the mobo, but I can't find any on there, the only one on there is the clear the CMOS? the bios settings I think. Anyway, I'll wait a little while for a response, but i g2g in a min.Thank you,Craig.

Ok,So it worked OK previously before. Did you overclock the CPU?Add any other new hardware recently?Any other symptoms besides CPU slowndown on startup?Might be a RAM card/ chip failure - ("DoCMemory" RAM tester is good).You could try re-setting your CMOS settings if you installed any new hardware that was incompatible with the systemboard. Otherwise unless a virus trashed your BIOS program it's a dead end. You won't know that unless you a complete system scan for bugs first & ID the specific critter that did it.Need more details-Get back to meRGPHNX

My AMD Athlon XP 3200+ is 2.2ghz, but runs the same (if not better) as a Intel Pentium 4 3.2GhzHere is a list for Athlon XP's (Not 64's), it shows what they run at.1500 - 1.33 GHz1600 - 1.40 GHz1700 - 1.47 GHz1800 - 1.53 GHz1900 - 1.60 GHz2000 - 1.67 GHz2100 - 1.73 GHz2200 - 1.80 GHz2400 - 1.93 GHz2500 - 1.833 GHz2600 - 2.133 GHz2700 - 2.17 GHz2800 - 2.083 GHz3000 - 2.167 GHz3200 - 2.20 GHz

Cragllo,From the info you posted it looks like you overclocked the CPU ?? Is that the case ?????? If so re-set to the default settings & do a hardware system diagnostic for true actual CPU speed to check out if the CPU is screwed. Also, the "Motheboard monitor" program is helpful to check temps etc. to see if heat buildup (from overclocking & other sources) has potentially toasted the front or rear BUS on the systemboard. You won't get an actual transfer rate readout on the BUS 's (from "Motherboard Monitor" program ) but if the temp is very high then its bad news :-( . You can go from there with a hardware "burn in" tester program to get a more accurate actual performance benchmark for other hardware problems associated with the slow CPU symptom.It's been my experience that tha manufacturers advertised CPU speed ratings are just estimates. Actual CPU speed performance for a particular CPU can vary as much as 5-10% on a "good" chip depending on the programs loaded & the system configuration. But you seem to be way outside that range. so there's defintely something else going on. Get back to me with more preformance symptoms AND/ OR configuration details and we can go from there.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

Cragllo,Ok, everything stock. Temp seems OK.Any other weird symptoms?? Give me something else to go on.RGPHNXPS- Posted an answer to the e-mail problem your experiencing on other post, but don't think its related to the CPU issue here. It shouldn't slow the CPU speed to the 1.1 GHz you reported

that same problem happened to me where my cpu was only 1/2 speed......you have to have the cpu jumpers set to the highest seting......that would be either 333 or 400.......if you give me the mobo model i can look it up

Cragllo,You can find your Mobo info using the "PCWizard" program, then going to the Mobo manfacturer's info site to get the jumper settings (& maybe a PIC or two?) for for the Front Side Bus (FSB). Your processor requires that the FSB be set at 400MHz or higher. Any FSB setting below 400MHz will cause EXACTLY the CPU 1/2 speed problem you are experiencing. You can set the FSB speed thru the Bios settings AND/OR the jumper on the Mobo. Sometimes both are needed. If the Bios doesn't allow you to set the FSB speed, maybe you also need the updated "Processor Driver" from AMD. Just went there & they have several for you to choose from. Hope this HelpsRGPHNXPS- the "multiplyer" on your CPU chip is not directly user configurable, as far as I know. It adjusts its speed automatically from the FSB speed info obtained thru the processor driver program, which obtains its info from the BIOS & Mobo hardware jumper settings.

You may need a BIOS upgrade, but what is the make and model of your motherboard?It should have speed settings through the BIOS, make sure those are all set to automatic and that the correct cpu is chosen.