xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jezstarr

Scots To Put The Pressure On Fiji Rugby League World Cup 2008

Scots to put the pressure on FijiBy Wayne Heming
November 04, 2008

SCOTLAND coach Steve McCormack has conceded his players face a massive challenge against a flamboyant Fiji in their World Cup showdown at Bluetongue Stadium.

But he scoffs at suggestions his Bravehearts will be blown off the paddock by the Cup entertainers who shocked France with their power, pace and skill after handing out a 42-6 hiding to the French.

France had opened their World Cup campaign with 36-18 win over the Scots making the form line heavily in Fiji's favour.

"It's a massive challenge," said McCormack who, like everyone else, was impressed by Fiji's big win over France.

"The manner in which they beat the French was a surprise to everybody and they've got a very fast back line."

McCormack has made eight player and positional changes to shake-up his players after their disappointing opening game.

Ben Fisher comes into hooker with Ian Henderson moving to lock while Oliver Winks has won a start in the front-row pushing Paul Jackson to the bench.

The other significant change is Wade Liddell's selection on the wing to take advantage of his dummy half running.

"Wade is very solid and very explosive out of dummy half and and as a fullback is quite safe under the high ball," said McCormack.

"We only played at 40 or 50 per cent of our capabilities against France.

"We were soft around the rucks and if you look at the two results it's a huge challenge.

"It may have been attitude but we showed some glimpses when we were in good field position."

McCormack said Scotland's objective would be to put some real pressure on Fiji and see how they handle it.

"We've not seen them play under pressure and that's what we want to do," he said.

Fiji are in a commanding position to top Pool Two ahead of the clash and only need to win or lose by less than 27 points to advance to a playoff with Pool 3 winners for a spot in the semi-finals.

Scotland face a near impossible task of topping the group as they need to win by 28 points or more to surpass the Fijians.

AAP

SOURCE: FOXSPORTS.COM.AU

Well I think after the Fijians beat France in the biggest upset of the cup, Scotland will be coming up against a very conifdent and motivated Fiji side. I actually want Scotland to win but I just don't think it will be very likely. Scotland has Michael Robertson playing for them which is why I half support them, he plays for Manly Sea Eagles who are my team.

Fiji looked very very good against France and showed it on the scoreboard. I think Fiji by 10 but I just hope Scotland puts up a fight for everyone.

Scots finally break Cup duck
By Todd Balym
November 05, 2008

SCOTLAND pulled off an incredible 18-16 late victory over highly-fancied Fiji at Bluetongue Stadium to claim their country's first ever rugby league World Cup win in five attempts.

Wakefield prop Oliver Wilkes barged over in the 76th minute to level scores before captain Danny Brough kept his perfect goalkicking record in tact with a left-footed conversion for victory.

But the Bravehearts had to withstand a frenetic final few minutes before securing a courageous win in front of a crowd of 9,720 fans.

Despite the narrow defeat Fiji still finish top of Pool 2 and will face Ireland in a playoff for the semi-finals at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast on Monday with the winner to face Australia.

Scotland jump to second in the pool and will play Tonga in Rockhampton on Saturday while France will play Samoa at CUA Stadium on Sunday after the islanders lost top place of Pool 3 with a heavy 34-16 defeat to Ireland.

Scotland led 12-4 at half time but that was quickly eroded as lock Jason Bukuya scored in the 43rd minute with the help of four defenders to pull the deficit back to just two points.

The Fijians looked to have secured the win when sustained dominance led to winger Semi Tadulala's second try of the night in the 73rd minute.

But while the Fijians started the game with a prayer it was Scotland who received the miracle as they won the ball from a short re-start and charged down field to score a try and secure their first win since entering the World Cup in 2000.

Scotland full-back Michael Robertson gave his side a surprise lead at the break when he touched down in the final minute of the first half after Brough's chip kick ricocheted off the uprights.

Winger Jon Steel scored Scotland's first try in the sixth minute after man of the match Ian Henderson ran down the blindside.

Fiji centre Sevanai Koroi was dragged down short of the line in the 22nd minute but set up his side's first try with a brilliant offload for Tadulala to score his first try of the night in the corner.

While there was plenty of ugly football in the contest, the worst of it came when Henderson and Bukuya traded haymakers in the 35th minute after an incident in the play-the-ball.

AAP

SOURCE: FOXSPORTS.COM.AU

Wow, it really surprised when I heard this actually. I though Fiji would come out on top as you can see on my previous post but Scotland stepped up and won their first world cup match ever. Great to see though!

The only negative thing for the Scottish coming from that game was that they will not proceed to the semi-finals but they may have a last game which they will want to prove a point with. Good on 'em!

forget about that lol. australia is going to win! the rugby league world cup is not as competitive as the rugby union world cup because australia and england are the only countries that have ever won the world cup. if only they could make it a bit more competitive.

forget about that lol. australia is going to win! the rugby league world cup is not as competitive as the rugby union world cup because australia and england are the only countries that have ever won the world cup. if only they could make it a bit more competitive.

Spot on joe!, that's why I got so fired up that nrl players who wanted to switch nation couldn't play. The reason for that was exactly what you said the world cup needs and that's competition. Also these were high quality players and sometimes one player can make a whole lot difference. Australia has it in the bag though.