xisto Community
Spyda

Ipb 3.0 Rules

So currently all IPB customers get a free glimpse of the new IPB 3.0. Since I am an IPB license holder, I was able to test drive the user view of 3.0. All I can say is WOW. The new skin is amazing, it's so web 2.0 that it's just awesome. On top of that, there are some cool index features that include Recently Added Topics, and the top posters of the day. In addition to that, the new PM system rocks. Now there are things called PM conversations where when you send anyone a PM, it automatically becomes a conversation in a thread like style. This makes it so simple to see everything this member has posted to you.There are also new user profiles. The number of views per profile is gone, but the user cp is so much better organized that it makes viewing peoples profiles much user friendly. I'm also liking the way the threads look, as well as all the ajax features that are involved.Overall IPB 3.0 RULES. It really beats Vbulletin right out of the water. I can't wait to it gets released so Xisto can updated to it :lol:

Is it an beta still? What is the expected Release Date?I hear they have completly re-vamped the bbcodes, too. Lots of new ones included which are currently only available as Custom BBcodes.

Is it an beta still? What is the expected Release Date?I hear they have completly re-vamped the bbcodes, too. Lots of new ones included which are currently only available as Custom BBcodes.

It's still a beta right now. They still haven't completely finished the ACP, so the frontend is the only thing that they are showing at this time. On November 5th, the general public will be able to beta test the frontend as well. Then next week they will update everybody on the release date of the betas.

Also, there are some really cool bbcodes like the youtube one :lol:

But Xisto is not even a 2.3.5 version at the moment. Wont Trap get a little...I don't know..broken shall we say because of the upgrade, and all of our modifications we have at the moment? Buffalo and OpaQue will need to reinstall the Credits System etc. :lol:-Sky

Exactly the reason the Xisto does not update as often as it could. Opaque and the Credit System version 3.0 will need some time to make the transition. I would not be surprised if the Xisto doesn't upgrade immediately. I would wait until the IPB 3 is out in the wild for sometime so that the first batch of bug squashes happen before the Xisto updates.

Exactly the reason the Xisto does not update as often as it could.

Opaque and the Credit System version 3.0 will need some time to make the transition.

I would not be surprised if the Xisto doesn't upgrade immediately. I would wait until the IPB 3 is out in the wild for sometime so that the first batch of bug squashes happen before the Xisto updates.

Agreed + rated.

I've already PM OpaQue saying if he and Buffalo needed any help with updates for IP.Board etc I am offering to help them. I think I and everyone would want the best for Trap, other then like other hosts they don't care about the website or their Customers, just the money they make out of it.

-Sky

But Xisto is not even a 2.3.5 version at the moment. Wont Trap get a little...I don't know..broken shall we say because of the upgrade, and all of our modifications we have at the moment? Buffalo and OpaQue will need to reinstall the Credits System etc. :lol:
-Sky

First off all, the latest version is 2.3.6 and the upgrading for 2.2 to 3.0 is just as easy as going from 2.3 to 3.0 Basically, the only thing that would happen differently is that the user's upgrader would first upgrade to 2.3 and then 3.0

I don't know if I'm correct, since I use SMF, not IPB, but would you lose some of the MODs through the transition?I know a few forums that couldn't update because of this.

Yes, you would lose all your mods and skins because IPB 3.0 is a totally different system. Not only is there a much a different plugin system, but the themeing system as well is also changed. It''s sort of like when mybb went to 1.4, and basically all mods and themes didn't work unless they were separately updated to work on mybb 1.4 :lol:

I doubt Xisto will be updated, theres no point, it would be to be a waste of time and a lot of effort for opaque, it may also mean forum downtime, and I'm sure Opaque doesn't pay for support.

I doubt Xisto will be updated, theres no point, it would be to be a waste of time and a lot of effort for opaque, it may also mean forum downtime, and I'm sure Opaque doesn't pay for support.

It wouldn't be pointless. 2.2 is unsecured as it is, and you do not want to be running insecure forum software on such a big site such as Xisto, trust me. On top of that, IPB 3.0 simple put is AMAZING. There are features that will really shape the way forums are made in the near future.

It wouldn't be pointless. 2.2 is unsecured as it is, and you do not want to be running insecure forum software on such a big site such as Xisto, trust me. On top of that, IPB 3.0 simple put is AMAZING. There are features that will really shape the way forums are made in the near future.

You seem really excited about this new upgrade. I'll have to take a look at it, maybe wait until a stable version is done, and I might just have to buy it. It is going to take a lot for me to leave a perfectly good smf forums that are free and then pay money to get IPB but you seem like you think it's worth it so I'll keep a eye on it.
About Xisto updating to IPB 3.0 I don't think we'll update for a long time after a stable verison is out because of all the work it takes to transfer the credits system version three over to another version of IPB.

I've already PM OpaQue saying if he and Buffalo needed any help with updates for IP.Board etc I am offering to help them. I think I and everyone would want the best for Trap, other then like other hosts they don't care about the website or their Customers, just the money they make out of it.

Even bearing good intentions, it cannot (or, rather, shouldn't) be allowed the kind of assitance you are offering for obvious reasons. Not only is it a security hazard, even if you could be fully trusted, you would require equal or near equal knowledge of the IPB boards, the inner and outer workings of the system implemented by Xisto, the credit system, etc, that OpaQue knows. Otherwise you'd be in a similar or equal spot that you are now. For that reason, instead of helping in updates, you should instead be helping us moderators catch violaters of the rules. You can do so by doing two things: mark a post as spam if you see it as spam and report the post. Not reporting the post and just merely rating a post as spam isn't as helpful to us as doing both. Therefore it is better to do both. As a member who's been here for a while, you should know what classifies a post as spam.

I am waiting for them to officially announce a stable version. Credit System 3.0 runs out of the box and hence upgrading is not a trouble any more. Its the old modules in action like latest topics, mod center etc. that we will miss.The urls will change and can create a havoc with our ranking. at the same time, the new version is completely seo optimized as claimed by IPB. lets hope for the best ;-)

I am waiting for them to officially announce a stable version. Credit System 3.0 runs out of the box and hence upgrading is not a trouble any more. Its the old modules in action like latest topics, mod center etc. that we will miss.<BR><BR>The urls will change and can create a havoc with our ranking. at the same time, the new version is completely seo optimized as claimed by IPB. lets hope for the best ;-)

Thats great! Does this mean as soon as the stable version is out that you'll update this site to IPB 3 or at least after the first few bugs in the first stable version are fixed? I was looking at the new stuff that will IPB 3 has over the older versions because this thread made me curious and it looks great. I can't wait until we start using it. I thought it might mess up the new myCent thing and I'm glad to hear that isn't a problem any more. Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)