xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joeblogg

Who Likes Portable Hard Drives

who likes portable hard dirves?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like them, they are very useful, particularly as I format my hard drive a lot, so they are useful for backing up information.I prefer hard drive caddies, as they alloy use of a normal hard drive, as a removable one.Firewire removable hard drives are really fast, so quite useful for storing videos and photos, or daily backups ect.

I have an 80 GB portable . I use it only to carry data around, Generally DVD backups. Though I would love to have a 500 GB but I dont want any power cables with it. Is there a 500 GB (or More) drive that DOES NOT use external power supply ??

so basically everyone loves portable hard drives. they cost like $150 but its worth it! if you store all your stuff there then your computer will run much faster. as with all technology they are getting smaller and can store more information. one day they will be really small (maybe the size of a USB) and will be able to store 500gb to 1000gb of information. and to put that into perspective the current USB's can store not much more than 12gb. so lets wait and see just how good these great pieces of technology can get.

Actually there are two types of portable hard drive , any hard drive which is connected through USB and which is external is considered as portable hard drive , the two types of portable hard drive are , one which uses a flash disk inside it and the other is one where a normal hard disk which we use in a computer ( which uses a rotating disk) is fixed inside a casing and the appropriate power supply and a USB connection is given to the casing which makes it a external hard drive, now comparing these two external harddrives , one that is the external harddrive which uses a flash memory is very slim and it has a beautiful look , whereas if you take a look at the other one it is bulky as a normal hard drive. The diffrence is that in the hard drive which uses a flash memory only an USB input is present and the other one has two inputs , one is USB another is a power supply , and if you see the cost the flash memory external hard drive is much costly than the one which uses a normal hard drive with a outer casing , I have used both and i like both.You see external that is protable hard drives has its own advantages, its like a Mega Pen Drive

I carry my data on a Kingston 4GB USB Drive and Seagate 120GB FreeGo External HDD.I've placed order for two 8GB Transcend USB Drives. and I'm also planning to get a 1TB External HDD :lol:

My portable solution is nowhere near as portable as I'd like it to be. I run a 500GB internal hard drive in a 3.5" enclosure that requires a power supply along with the USB device cable. It's awesome to keep all of my pictures, personal items, downloaded movies and program installation files, music, and everything in between... and I back all of this stuff up on an identical, "backup" drive at least once a month. It really is the way to go for people like me that download movies and such, not to mention actually be able to fit all that data without compromising valuable scratch disk space as well as page file potential on the local hard drive of a laptop.It's an ideal solution for desktops too, as you can make your backup and then leave the backup drive alone until the next time you need to backup. Hard drives have a lifespan, so the longer and more often you have them on, the more hours of life that are sucked out of the very hard drive that you store your files on and boot your computer with... so I would recommend at the very least to get an external hard drive to back up the important stuff, especially pictures of friends, family, the kids, etc. (Keep in mind that with pictures, the newer digital cameras with the increase in image quality will take up more room per picture... and I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to compress or shrink any personal photos to save up disk space.)I got my 500GB solution for around $160 USD... and the same solution now cost probably about $120 USD. (Darn progression of technology and declining prices... ^_^ ) You can get external solutions even cheaper, but you might as well future-proof yourself and look towards of 250+ GB, since even the terabyte isn't that unreachable to the average consumer.As far as 2.5" hard drives go, you pay for the form factor, so expect to fork over more of an arm and a leg to be able to fit a hard drive in your pocket.Note to laptop users: If your laptop is new enough to support ExpressCard 2.0 or has an eSATA port and your external hard drive has a SATA interface, use it in conjunction with your external hard drive(s). Your hard drive's data transfer rates will then not be bottlenecked as much with USB 2.0's maximum, which is highly theoretical with its overhead. SATA is the way to go. It is worth throwing the extra $30-50 towards the additional equipment if it means a few hours less of waiting time when backing up 500GB's worth of data. :lol:

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)