xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joeblogg

Who Likes Portable Hard Drives

who likes portable hard dirves?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

who likes or uses a portable hard drive? i think they are very useful for storing large amounts of information without slowing down your computer. obviously the more space you have taken up on your computer the slower it will go so having a portable hard drive is great. its also good for baking up your computer or storing all your illegal movies which you haven't put on dvd's yet and sold in china. :lol:

I use portable hard drives to hold all my music, movies; anything media related. It helps a lot when I'm moving bulk files from computer to computer. So, I'd say that I like them. :lol:

Portable hard drives are very handy, I told my step-mum to get one because her computer is old and hasn't go much room. She didn't think it was worth it until i set it up for her and told her to put all her new stuff on there, she loved me after that. No more problems. She even kept it when she got a new computer.The best feature about them I think is that you can move tonnes of files with ease instead 10 USBs and disks everywhere. They also don't slow down your pc which is a big plus! No one likes a slow computer. Great for storing games.

I like portable drives. I don't have it, but I used some of my frineds portable drives. Really they are very handy. Easy to backup, or transfer your large amount of data. Now, my frined and me sharing large amount of data in a single shot. No need for many dvds or pendrives...I really like it. I need to buy one... :lol:

I like portable drives. I don't have it, but I used some of my frineds portable drives. Really they are very handy. Easy to backup, or transfer your large amount of data. Now, my frined and me sharing large amount of data in a single shot. No need for many dvds or pendrives...I really like it. I need to buy one... :lol:

Sums my post up right there, Seeing a don't have the biggest hard drive space so I might get one or think about getting one?
Anyway how much does a good one cost?

If you don't have one then you must be living under a rock, I have one to keep all my Photoshop work nice and safe, my school work from all my classes, various e-books and pictures and some music. I had this one for a couple of years now, I think, and it is a measly 80GB's but it does what I need it to do and that is safe my important files and what not. As for price tag you can find a couple for less then 50 and up to about $500 if your going to get one of the 1 TB external hard drives and even then you would need to have a lot of stuff to make a serious dent in that drive. If your considering an external hard drive head over to newegg and take a look at what they have and see which one takes to your needs.

Thanks for the prices Saint_Michael definitely something my mum probably wouldn't mind getting me. I won't get a huge one but I'm sure I can find a good deal and a fairly big but not to big hard drive!

Toshiba got 200GB in INDIA

Toshiba has entered the portable hard drive (HD) market with the launch of its 200GB 2.5-inch USB 2.0 portable external hard drive.

Calling it the world's first 200 GB portable HD, the new drive, according to Toshiba, can deliver the highest capacity for any backup solution in the compact 2.5-inch hard drive class. It can store up to 57,000 digital photos; 52,000 MP3 music files; 88 DVD videos or 23 high-definition videos.

The portable HD comes bundled with NTI Shadow software, a click-free, switch-free, and button-free backup solution that enables users simply connect the drive, set backup parameters, and enjoy the peace of mind of knowing critical and cherished digital information is being protected.

The hard drives also incorporate a special patent-pending shock mount system to provide extra protection against normal wear and tear.

The ventilated sleek Black Aluminium housing stylishly complements other digital devices, and helps dissipate heat more efficiently than similar products on the market.

The hard drives are seco-conscious, RoHS compatible, and support both Windows and Mac OS. The accompanied 4-foot USB cable enables users easily plug in the hard drive to any laptop or desktop PC, while USB Hi-Speed Certification allows for use of the drive in any USB port configuration.

Toshiba's new USB 2.0 portable external hard drives are available on the company site in four capacities 200GB, 160GB, 120GB, and 100GB at MRPs of $229.99 (Rs 9,588); $179.99 (Rs 7,503); $149.99 (Rs 6,252); and $129.99 (Rs 5,418) respectively. (Price in bracket is approx market value in INDIA)

Notice from rvalkass:

Copied content must be wrapped in Quote tags. Warned.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I have one. its in pieces mind, its broken so i took it apart because i was bored. But i found it useful, but on this piece of cr** laptop its not that helpful (usb 1.0) but when i get my new laptop (sometime after xmas) I will probably invest in a more expensive and larger portable harddrive to store info on, or kill two birds with one stone and get an ipod clasic 120 or is it 160gb one, since im not into anything that requires bags of space or anything like that.

I like portable hard drives / external hard drives if they are 160GB+, small, and compatible with firewire because USB is kinda slow. FireWire can go up to about 400MBPS. I think.

I like portable hard drives and use them a lot... just be careful not to rely on them too much :lol: needless to say, but I noticed it's quite easy to get excited about the countless space and excellent portability and connectivity these devices offer and forget that, like all hard drives, they can fail! Possibly portable hard drives are even more susceptible to failure because of the way we handle them, environment changes and so on. It should also not be forgotten that we can actually lose them or have them stolen. Any important data, something we don't want to lose, has to be recorded in as many separate devices as common sense suggests, plus one more just in case ^_^Many times we overhear these things until something happens to our storage devices, then we realize those suggestions were right... I must say though sometimes for me it has be a good thing having a hard disk failure as I could get rid of stuff I didn't really need but couldn't delete for a similar sort of attachment to that we develop for items piled up in our storage rooms :D yeah, backup should be selective...

I like portable hard drives and use them a lot... just be careful not to rely on them too much :lol: needless to say, but I noticed it's quite easy to get excited about the countless space and excellent portability and connectivity these devices offer and forget that, like all hard drives, they can fail!
Possibly portable hard drives are even more susceptible to failure because of the way we handle them, environment changes and so on. It should also not be forgotten that we can actually lose them or have them stolen. Any important data, something we don't want to lose, has to be recorded in as many separate devices as common sense suggests, plus one more just in case ^_^

Many times we overhear these things until something happens to our storage devices, then we realize those suggestions were right... I must say though sometimes for me it has be a good thing having a hard disk failure as I could get rid of stuff I didn't really need but couldn't delete for a similar sort of attachment to that we develop for items piled up in our storage rooms :D yeah, backup should be selective...

You do make a good point, but I would think that would happen if you constantly use it and keep it running 24/7 then the rate of failure could increase. Of course, if you use it every couple of weeks or once a month then those portable hard drives will last a bit longer and that is of course, if you don't drop or spill anything on the portable hard drive then it will last for quite a long time.

I rely most of my backup on portable HDD. Have 2 500GB FW800 portable for Macs while 6 500GB for PC. 4 of them for data, raw video footage and 2 of them for scratch disk and media cache.If you willing to spent more, you can buy external HDD rack that allows you to hot swap your HDD and comes with an external USB port too which make things more organized :lol: