xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harrison858

Increasing Lottery Spam E-mails The SPAM of lottery emails...

Is anyone (specifically from Yahoo or Gmail) getting lottery e-mail junk/spam?I've been getting a ton of those, and I've already marked about 30 as spam. The e-mail claims that they are from a lottery company, like "UK Lottery" or "International Lottery." It claims that you have been selected from millions of others and you won the lottery...They ask for your name, your address, your phone number, your account number for your bank, and sometimes your SSN.I mean, Who are these people trying to fool?

Also known as the advance fee fraud (or the Nigerian 419 scam).

I get tonnes of them every day, but they mostly get delivered to my spambox. If you want to try something fun, reply asking for proof of your winning, see if you can get any fake legal documents :lol:

Yes. I am getting many scam mails like these. Atleast 1 weekly. Most of these are Lottery type scams. But recently I am getting new type of scams. They look like a personal mail from your friend. I am so and so with introduction and a nice story....and at the end of the mail, it asks for you help to claim the money he/she inherited but difficulty in claiming. And another type is, I am an employee for some bank at Uganda.....Some person who had deposited a lot of money in our bank was dead. So please help me to claim that money and so on....They are increasing daily...I read in some newspapers that many people responded to those mails and lost bing amount of their money. Really I didn't understand why do people blindly believe these mails. ^_^ It is very difficult to trace these senders...as the details they give you is fake, and also they are coming countries where cyber law is weak, or no cyberlaw at all.... The only thing we can do is educating innocent people about these scams. :lol:

I get these all the time from places that sell my spam email account to Nigerians. Just poke fun of them, pretend to scam them back (ex when they try to send you a money order say that you will send them one, and you want the difference in cash), but never tell them personal details! They most likely have a contact in your country! (US/UK mainly)

If you send me your Bank Account Nuber and the PIN for it, I guarantee that you will never need to worry about this Email scam again. Promise...:lol: j/k ^_^

On my G-mail account these e-mails don't get through into my inbox, but quite a few of them get into my inbox on my Yahoo! account—almost on a daily basis, too. I haven't really noticed an increase of them; they appear to be coming in the same amount as they have been.

I get tonnes of them every day, but they mostly get delivered to my spambox. If you want to try something fun, reply asking for proof of your winning, see if you can get any fake legal documents :lol:

Yeah, they'll love that—proof that there's a person on the other side of the e-mail address.

Who are these people trying to fool?

I read an article about phishing scams a while ago, saying that these scams where aimed at older computer users, who, having not grown up with computers or the internet,dont know about the risks, or don't know how easy it is to set up a website and emails to imitate a site, so believe that it is genuinely fro companies like paypal.

Although some scams seem too obvious, like one a received a while ago, saying that a paypal server had gone down, and they needed me to enter my credit card details to re-activate my account..... I don't even have a credit card!!

Similar to the one that wanted me to confirm my online banking account with Lloyd's TSB.... I don't have a Lloyd's TSB account, and I don't use online banking...

They should really try to use things which apply to more people if they want these things to work!