xisto Community
HyBriD54

Starcraft 2 - The Three Campaigns

Starcraft 2 has been confirmed to have been split up into three different stand-alone games. Each game will feature approximately 30 or so missions and will each have their own different style from the other two campaigns. The three campaigns are as follows: Terran: Wings of Liberty, Zerg: Heart of the Swarm and Protoss: Legacy of the Void.I hope Blizzard doesn't price each of the games TOO high... as I personally consider it a money-making scheme if they set it to $60+ for each game. The reason for selling the games as standalone campaigns are probably because Blizzard wants more development on the storyline and gameplay features. They'll be adding new content (on multiplayer) for each race so it's still a plus even if you aren't going to play through the campaigns (but why not? Starcraft storyline was awesome. So was Brood War).

Yes, I'm kind of confused how the multiplayer is going to work. For example if I buy the Terran Starcraft 2 game, does that mean that I can only play as Terran when playing online? And can I only play with others using the same game as me, or can I, for example play against someone who has the Zerg Starcraft 2? This is pretty confusing... At the moment I think it is a bad move on blizzard's part but I suppose we will see how it works out.

@galexcd.Well. If you buy the original Terran Campaign, multiplayer will be still fully functional. You will be able to play using all three races. It's a bit like the original Starcraft and Warcraft III; you won't be able to play against the others who have the expansions, but they will be able to log onto the original at will and play against you. Also, once you buy the expansion, new content will be added to BOTH single player and the multiplayer, much like how the devourer, corsair, medic, lurker, dark templar etc. were added in Brood War.I suppose the final result will be significantly better than if the game was released all in one go, but we'll see...

Well. If you buy the original Terran Campaign, multiplayer will be still fully functional. You will be able to play using all three races. It's a bit like the original Starcraft and Warcraft III; you won't be able to play against the others who have the expansions, but they will be able to log onto the original at will and play against you. Also, once you buy the expansion, new content will be added to BOTH single player and the multiplayer, much like how the devourer, corsair, medic, lurker, dark templar etc. were added in Brood War.

Yes, it would make a lot more sense if the games were expansion packs but all three games will be fully fledged games, not expansion packs, so you can see where my confusion comes in.

Although all three of those games come as full games, they are essentially however, still expansion packs because the latter two (Zerg: Heart of the Swarm and Protoss: Legacy of the Void) both require the original game, Terran: Wings of Liberty. As such I would consider them to be expansion packs, although they are VERY big expansion packs that can probably pass if they were sold as standalone games instead anyway.

"[The second and third games]will be like expansion packs, but we really want them to feel like standalone products," said Blizzard's Rob Pardo.

Just confirming... Also, if you wanted to know where I got that, I found that quote here: http://www.shacknews.com/article/55267/starcraft-2-now-a-trilogy .

Interesting, another source, (funny that I can't seem to find it now), said that they are definitely not expansion packs and none of the games require any of the others to work. I'm assuming my source was incorrect. Thank you for clearing up that confusion.

Hey hey. My information came from an unofficial source, so I could be the wrong one =P. I'll go check it up later to see if that's correct.Either way, it's still treated like three separate games...

I'm sure they'll leave the choice of playing as any of the 3 races online, as they'd most of the code for the computer AI in the campaign anyways, just making it available to you in multiplayer or custom gaming... No proof, just y own personal speculation.On another note, did anyone else see the spectacular announcement trailor of "Starcraft 2" by Blizzard at Blizzcon? If so did you norice the real life signifigance of the Marines quote at the need of it!?!"Hell, It's about time!"IMO, pure genius!