xisto Community
HDuffRules

Running

I *was* a runner once upon a time.1 mile, 2 mile, 5 K, 10K... used to train 120 miles per week, but I am old and feeble now. :) j/kBad knees from Sports and Work injuries made me stop running. Never got back into the program following the Knee surgery a while ago.

I run mostly 5k, with the occasional 5 mile or 8k or 7.5 mile thrown in there. Currently train about 40 miles per week, although I should start increasing that again, I've been at this level for about a year, and I'm nowhere near ready for the half marathon i'm planning on running in a few months

Yes, it was an insane schedule at 120 miles per week, but that was during the winter and formed the conditioning base for the Spring/Summer seasons.Afterwards, (several years later), I learned of a program from Jeff Galloway that greatly reduced the mileage, yet added terrific results. I was past the competitive level by then, but it made running fun again. less miles with a long, slow run on Sundays, adding a mile or so every other week (if memory serves me correctly).Google Jeff Galloway to find out about his program. Worked a charm for me.

I run mostly 5k, with the occasional 5 mile or 8k or 7.5 mile thrown in there. Currently train about 40 miles per week, although I should start increasing that again, I've been at this level for about a year, and I'm nowhere near ready for the half marathon i'm planning on running in a few months

I run a lot of 5ks because that the length of a highschool cross country race. I do a lot of road races as well. I am in a racing series right now that has 5k to 10 mile races and I have a big enough lead that I only have to jog the last race to win the series which is five miles long and I probably will jog it because I hurt my ankle a month ago but desided to finish out the cross country season anyway and now I'm paying for that choice.
If you have been running 40 miles per week for a year it's definatly time to start increasing. Just make sure you don't jump into it to quick or you might find your self injuried in a few weeks/months. Increasing slowly is key.

Yes, it was an insane schedule at 120 miles per week, but that was during the winter and formed the conditioning base for the Spring/Summer seasons.Afterwards, (several years later), I learned of a program from Jeff Galloway that greatly reduced the mileage, yet added terrific results. I was past the competitive level by then, but it made running fun again. less miles with a long, slow run on Sundays, adding a mile or so every other week (if memory serves me correctly).
Google Jeff Galloway to find out about his program. Worked a charm for me.

I figured that it was during base that you achieved such a high miles per week total. I'm hoping to reach about 70 miles per week next summer and about 45 this winter. I don't think I'll have time to get much higher this winter because of my ankle injury and the fact that I like to build my miles per week slowly to decrease the chance of getting hurt. During the spring I won't get high milage because of track demading a lot of speed work.
I googled Jeff Galloway but most of the things were walk to run programs. I know what you're talking about though because he some times writes articals for Runner's World magazine which I get monthly.

Do you every think about starting up running again?

Do you every think about starting up running again?

Yes, but if I lay down long enough, the thought goes away... :lol:

Are you running with a partner or group of people? I used to gather once a week with a small collection of people for a "social" run. Really worked to motivate each other. Not a fast or competitive run, but slow enough to be able to chat a little while moving forward. If anyone had trouble talking, the group slowed down. Conversely, the pace picked up when on several occasions as a good flat stretch approached with a series of curves, etc. It was fun...

I could try that... I'm on a listserv where people post to the list whenever they're going on a run and invite people to go with them, but I dunno if I'd like that... Running is usually just my quiet time when I think about random stuff. I might try it next week though.. if it's not too cold outside by then.

Running!!! Must say that it is the best excercise to build stamina and endurance. But I feel too lazy to do that so have not made any attempts since long. During m school days, we being part of the sports team, were forced to run for 15 minutes daily . This part of the excercise I hated the most.

Any experienced runners among you who could give me some advice?At the gym, I have got a bet on with one of the gym assistants that I have to be able to run 1 mile (on the treadmil) in under seven minutes.That is expected of me in two months time (February 2nd, 2009).For five days now, i have been bullying myself,just doing my weight training faster than usual and then get on the treadmill.I must say i am nowhere near winning the bet yet, as it still takes me over thirteen minutes to do a mile.At the moment I do interval training, ie. I start off with 2 minutes walking at 4 mph, I then run for 2 minutes at 5 mph, etc.I have only switched to 5 mph two days ago, but i must say i feel like I am going to drop at times.I have calculated that, when you run constantly at 10 mph, then you would do the mile in 6 minutes.I am obviously far from that at the moment.I have tried to run for 3 minutes at 5 mph, but I can only do that once in a session so far.Is there anyone who has some advice on how to build up my stamina, and how to tackle this problem?Thanks in advance for any advice.