xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Evolke

Macaroni Cheese Bake (recipe)

This is one of my favourite meals. It tastes great, where you cook it right, and its simple to make once you know what your doing. With my mum making the Cheese Sauce, and me preparing the Ingredients it takes about 10 minutes to prepare (Possibly 15 including cooking the pasta) and only 10-20 minutes to cook.

You'll Need:

1 Cup Elbow Pasta (however if you have a big dish you may want to cook more)

1 Onion

60g Butter

1-2 Teaspoons Plain Flour

300ml Milk

1 Cup Grated Cheese

Nutmeg and Pepper

1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs

1/4 Grated Cheese (Pasmasen is a must for extra flavour!)

3 Teaspoons Chopped Chives (This isn't a must but it adds flavours. You can use Herbs out of the Jar)

Preheat over to about 180 Degrees C

Begin cooking the pasta in a saucepan. To make it cook quicker boil water in the kettle and fil the saucepan with it then place on hot plate.

While pasta is cooking chop the onion in to very very small pieces. If you make the pieces too big the onion taste will overpower, and its not too nice having a huge chunk of onion in your mouth. I suggest using a Food Processor to blend it nicely.

Heat Butter over medium heat in heavy-based pan.

Once heated add the onion and stir until the onion is soft. While onion is cooking prepare the cheese sauce in a seperate saucepan.

Cheese Sauce: Melt ~60g Butter in the saucepan over low heat.

Take off the heat and add flour.

Stir to a paste like texture. Mix until there are no lumps.

Very slowly add the milk stirring continuously.

Turn up heat to medium and return pan to hot plate and continue stirring until it thickens. It can take up to 10 minutes.

Once its thick, remove from heat and sprinkle in Nutmeg and Pepper (for taste) add cheese and gently stir through.

Continue cooking onion until it turns golden then add it to the Cheese Sauce. Stir the two together.

When the pasta is tender drain it and add Cheese Sauce and Onion to the Saucepan with the pasta. Mix them through.

Spray an over-proof dish with Olive Oil and pour the Macoroni into it.

With a small bowl mix bread crumbs, chives and cheese. Alot of breadcrumbs mean it will be nice and crunchy.

Sprinkle it onto the top wiof Macoroni.

Whack it in the oven and cook until it is golden and the cheese has melted. (10-20minutes)A larger cooking dish will take longer so think about the size of your dish.

Server nice and hot.

Its unbelieveably tasty!

Enjoy! :)

oooh this must taste sooo good. I never tried it with bread crumbs before, will do!
i never succeed making this sauce lump-free

# Cheese Sauce: Melt ~60g Butter in the saucepan over low heat.# Take off the heat and add flour.
# Stir to a paste like texture. Mix until there are no lumps.
# Very slowly add the milk stirring continuously.
# Turn up heat to medium and return pan to hot plate and continue stirring until it thickens. It can take up to 10 minutes.
# Once its thick, remove from heat and sprinkle in Nutmeg and Pepper (for taste) add cheese and gently stir through.

I haven't actually tried Pizza Huts Bacon and Macroni Cheese Running With Scissors because Im vegetarian. But I'll take your word on it :)

i never succeed making this sauce lump-free

I know! Getting the Cheese sauce lump free is the hardest part- thats why I get my mum to make it :P

Hi Evolke :lol:Thanks again for posting this recipe.I've given another try to the bechamel sauce yesterday, i removed it from the heat just as you told, and it was great! not lumpy at all! But only when I put it in the oven I remembered about the bread crumb thing... but there will be other occasions to try ^_^

I love cheese harrison858, so I always put plenty in. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too cheesey.. :P

Hi Evolke :PThanks again for posting this recipe.
I've given another try to the bechamel sauce yesterday, i removed it from the heat just as you told, and it was great! not lumpy at all! But only when I put it in the oven I remembered about the bread crumb thing... but there will be other occasions to try :P

Its my pleasure! Im thrilled to hear that it worked out for you! :D

mmmm I love mine with diced red and green bell peppers. yummy for your tummy for sure. Even better when you use a very sharp chedder.

Its really unbelievably tasty..It is my favourate dish and I always thought that only great cooks can make it...And now its the best dish I ever made...Great  receipe from you .and thanks.. 

-reply by Ronnie