xisto Community
dropout21

Norton Anti Virus - Overprotective? Your view on it

i find norton anti virus to be more of a hassle than anything on my system. i currently have it disabled because of the constant warnings and 'tips' it 'provides'. i have talked with other people about this, and have set up someones new computer that they have little knowledge about and the responses i get are the same, people are annoyd with it.do you find it protects well? do you find it too intrusive? any other anti virus programs you prefer over norton?

Maybe you really DO have a virus on your system...I have norton antivirus installed, and it has NEVER harrassed me with useless information. However it did warn me about a couple of viruses, which eventually I got rid of! If you have Norton Antivirus 2005, it also has spyware features! (and might bother you with it, because spyware is more common! (Although I don't recommend it because it's not reliable... After all, they still make antivirus systems... I recommend Microsoft AntiSpyware or Ad-Adware or Spybot search and destroy...)~Dooga

Agree with Doga.Actually, i only have my norton to stop it tips. But keep the virus and script scanner active. You may be really have virus in ur computer. May be u insert diskette or your folder.htt has infected. You should do virus scan thorugh all of your folders and files... surely you will found a lot of virus... the most popular on i think is HTMLRedLof.A.... when the first i install norton antivirus... scan for viruses and found more than 100 of HTMLRedLof virus.... it's not dangerous anyway...

I think so... It also eats sooo much resources! I sugest using EZ Antivirus, AVG, or search on download.com or betanews.com for the best antivirus available.

I agree with Dooga, i use AVG and nothing else. when i tried norton is actually made my computer worse and on my parent scomputers i scanned with norton and it picked up 2 virus', where as avg found 147 :P so i totally recommend avg over everything plus its free for life B) and updated almost every day. http://www.avg.com/de-de/homepage goodl uck with it and i hope it shows you the same results it did me :D

I really like Norton AntiVirus 2005. I never had any problem with a Norton Antivirus. It doesn't seem over protective to me. Some say it eats to much memory but it doesn't seem to slow down my PC too much.

Well you can actually disable all the tips and all that, but yeah what I find kind of annoying on Norton (SystemWorks 2005) is that scanns everything and when it does that like a little pop up thing says 'Scanning blah blah blah' and then you have 2 options Stop or Continue but well when it is scanning it slows the computer down or for example I go to yahoo and scanns something from the website and until is not done the website won't load that kind of annoys me it doesn't take very long just a few seconds but well I can't disable it and I would reccomend disabling Norton if that is the only Anti Virus software installed on the computer, viruses are worse than the few little annoying things that anti virus porgrams do...

Yea. I think Norton is to overprotected. It does so much and all it does is slow down your start time and you loading. Its just stupid how it makes it do so much. I mean if it was fast and simple then it would be great but its not/.

i wasnt reffering to a computer with a virus, my friend had just purchased a brand new computer and there were warning and stuff so, i guess it depends on what the antivirus program defines as a virus. i dont like norton becase of the slow scanning i get with it and the memory it takes. avg i recommend over norton