xisto Community
xpress

Installing Joomla On Local Computer(localhost) installing and managing joomla on your local host

Installing Joomla on local computer (localhost)

First to install joomla you need a webserver, php and mysql installed on your computer. If you don't have these installed..download WAMP (Windows Apache MySql PHP) server and install it. I am writing this tutorial using WAMP
as my server. But these steps are almost same in all other servers.

Follow the steps below

1. First you need joomla package. Goto joomla website and download the latest version of joomla.
Follow this link download joomla. This tutorial is based on Joomla 1.5.x

2. unzip(extract) the file and rename it to joomla.

3. Then place it on www directory of the WAMP server.(or htdocs directory if you are using XAMPP server)

4. Now type localhost/joomla on your browser address bar. You'll see the installation page of joomla...

5. select your language and Click on next.

6. you'll see a pre-installation check page. Click Next.

7. You'll see the licence page. Click Next.

8. Database(MySQL) configuration page.

Database type: leave it mysql

hostname: type localhost

username: type root (or your mysql username)

password: type password of your mysql account (the default is empty for root)

Database name: type joomla (or anything you wish)

(Now the database joomla will be automatically created in your mysql.)

Click Next

9. Ftp configuration page. Leave it and click Next.

10.Main configuraion page.

Site Name: anything you like

Your email: type your email address.

Admin password:type any password you like (this will be the password for the admin account)

confirm password: type the above password again.

Next, click on Install Sample Data. You'll see Sample data installed successfully.

Click Next.

11. Finish.... Now go to "joomla" folder in www directory and delete the "installation" folder. This is for security reasons.

Note: If you don't delete the installation folder, you can't access joomla home page.

Success...Now type localhost/joomla in your browser and you'll see the joomla home page.

Editing the content..
Login as the administrator.
To login as administrator go to localhost/joomla/administrator.

You'll see a login page. Type "admin" as username and type in your admin password you used at registration. Now you will see administrator page. Now you can edit cms, install templates and extesnions etc...

Installing Templates and extensions:
In the administrators page, move your mouse over exentsions link, you'll see a drop down menu. Select "install/uninstall". Extension manager will open. You can upload templates and extensions from this page.

After installing a template....go to Extensions at the top....and click on Template Manager from the drop down menu. Now select the template you install and click on "default" to make it the default template.

I'm getting this error during the database creationphase of the install.

Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled. Alternatively, there could also be a problem with the server's session.save_path. If this is the case, please consult your hosting provider if you don't know how to check or fix this yourself.

Do you have any ideas?

I'm using WampServer Version 2.0. Also the Wamp icon in the task bar says that Wamp is offline, even though I;ve restarted all services. and turned off Avast(my anti virus software)

opps.....Posted Image

Sorry to bother you express. I didn't follow your instructions to the tee. I put a password for "root" while creating the data base. I'm used to doing this online and creating the data base(using cpanel mysql). This is my first time using wamp and I'm sure I'll be back later with more blunders. Have a great day. And thanks again.

I'm using WampServer Version 2.0. Also the Wamp icon in the task bar says that Wamp is offline, even though I;ve restarted all services. and turned off Avast(my anti virus software)

No need to worry about that offline mode in WAMP server. Offline mode means only you can access your web server. While online mode means any one in the internet can access your server(means working as a real webserver).

Any way did your problem solved? or do you need any further assistance?

I'm getting this error during the database creationphase of the install.

Cookies do not appear to be enabled on your browser client. You will not be able to install the application with this feature disabled. Alternatively, there could also be a problem with the server's session.save_path. If this is the case, please consult your hosting provider if you don't know how to check or fix this yourself.

Do you have any ideas?

go to php.ini and edit :
session.save_path =
to
session.save_path = /tmp

Dear i install joomla from my wamp (localhost), it install without error. and work fine as i see.but i have problem with how we use all feature of joomla.because i dont have idea of joomla could anybody guide me. by reading help . i create one article and published it but what i see that the header and footer and powered by is not change what i saw in template it was as it is. could it possible. that header and footer and powered by statement changed.

Dear i install joomla from my wamp (localhost), it install without error. and work fine as i see.but i have problem with how we use all feature of joomla.because i dont have idea of joomla could anybody guide me. by reading help . i create one article and published it but what i see that the header and footer and powered by is not change what i saw in template it was as it is. could it possible. that header and footer and powered by statement changed.

you have joomla 1.5.x ? go to Extensions / Template manager / choose u template, press edit, after press botton edit HTML

Hi, I am using xampp 1.6.1 as localhost.I was following your instruction but I got problem at step 8: Database(MySQL) configration page.

I did exactly what you wrote and also name joomla for database name but when I click next it say ERROR:

Unable to connect to the database: could not connect to MySQL.

I did check MySQL and apache still running so I go to myphpadmin and create joomla database and come back to step 8 but still the same problem.

I import joomla.Sql from instalation directory but nothing change, still cannot connect to database..

Can you help me please?

Thanks for your time.

-reply by Mike

Hi, I am using xampp 1.6.1 as localhost.

I was following your instruction but I got problem at step 8: Database(MySQL) configration page.

<p>I did exactly what you wrote and also name joomla for database name but when I click next it say ERROR:</p>

<p>Unable to connect to the database: could not connect to MySQL.</p>

-reply by Mike

Well...What is your mysql username? Is it root? or something else? If you are using a different user account for MySQL then you have to enter that username instead of root in step 8. And also check your password to connect your database.. you have to enter the exact username and password you are using to connect mysql... use root and root account's password, only if you are using root as your defalut account....still having problem? post the exact error here :)

I haven't used Joomla in a while and wanted a test run to brush up on some stuff before creating a website. Thanks for this tutorial, exactly what I was looking for.

Yaar dude you are awsome this tutorial is the best way to have a virtual server environment on your home computer....

I would like to tell you that not only JOOMLA you can test any php script you like on the software :WAMP: ..... :P

I am using this software since 1 year and am very happy with it i have tested almost all the bulletin boards available free or money oriented and it worked like charm this saves the bandwidth of the internet connection as you can make changes on the computer files first and then update the file to the server

Because when you edit the file directly from server it first gets downloaded and then it again gets uploaded(waste of bandwidth).....

Every try different php scripts available on internet have a virtual network on your computer tooo......

thanks very much for taking the time to write this.
it was really helpful

Installing Joomla on local computer (localhost)

First to install joomla you need a webserver, php and mysql installed on your computer. If you don't have these installed..download WAMP (Windows Apache MySql PHP) server and install it. I am writing this tutorial using WAMP
as my server. But these steps are almost same in all other servers.

Follow the steps below

1. First you need joomla package. Goto joomla website and download the latest version of joomla.
Follow this link download joomla. This tutorial is based on Joomla 1.5.x

2. unzip(extract) the file and rename it to joomla.

3. Then place it on www directory of the WAMP server.(or htdocs directory if you are using XAMPP server)

4. Now type localhost/joomla/ on your browser address bar. You'll see the installation page of joomla...

5. select your language and Click on next.

6. you'll see a pre-installation check page. Click Next.

7. You'll see the licence page. Click Next.

8. Database(MySQL) configuration page.

Database type: leave it mysql

hostname: type localhost

username: type root (or your mysql username)

password: type password of your mysql account (the default is empty for root)

Database name: type joomla (or anything you wish)

(Now the database joomla will be automatically created in your mysql.)

Click Next

9. Ftp configuration page. Leave it and click Next.

10.Main configuraion page.

Site Name: anything you like

Your email: type your email address.

Admin password:type any password you like (this will be the password for the admin account)

confirm password: type the above password again.

Next, click on Install Sample Data. You'll see Sample data installed successfully.

Click Next.

11. Finish.... Now go to "joomla" folder in www directory and delete the "installation" folder. This is for security reasons.

Note: If you don't delete the installation folder, you can't access joomla home page.

Success...Now type localhost/joomla/ in your browser and you'll see the joomla home page.

Editing the content..
Login as the administrator.
To login as administrator go to localhost/joomla/administrator/.

You'll see a login page. Type "admin" as username and type in your admin password you used at registration. Now you will see administrator page. Now you can edit cms, install templates and extesnions etc...

Installing Templates and extensions:
In the administrators page, move your mouse over exentsions link, you'll see a drop down menu. Select "install/uninstall". Extension manager will open. You can upload templates and extensions from this page.

After installing a template....go to Extensions at the top....and click on Template Manager from the drop down menu. Now select the template you install and click on "default" to make it the default template.

nothing on local hostInstalling Joomla On Local Computer(localhost)I placed joomla folder in www directory folder. Typed LOCALHOST/joomla into my web browser and all I see is a blank page. Any ideas?-reply by chase

ThanksInstalling Joomla On Local Computer(localhost)

Hi

I am a complete nuff nuff when it comes to computers but your step by step routine helped me install Joomla.  I have since installed a second site on the same machine and am administering two sites at the same time!

This is the sort of information the internet should have (for me anyway!)

Thanks for taking the trouble to provide it.!

-reply by Coastalbloke

we have the same problem, it says that could not connect to mysql database.. i think this problem occur because i installed msyql in my computer, and the password that i put is wrong during isntallation.. am i correct??