xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
EdgabtheGreat

Wsus Server Running Slow Managment using web admin is incredibly slow

I have installed WSUS 2.0 on a Windows 2000 Server, I originally wanted to install WSUS 3.0 but it is not supported on Windows 2000 Server and I don't want to buy another Windows 2003 license just for WSUS.My server is a little bit under the recommended specs but I'm sure it wouldn't have that much of an affect. I have 512MB Ram instead of 1024MB. I just want to make sure it's not something else before I go and spend money on memory.When I am checking update status' or filtering the updates by type on the web admin on the server or from another PC it is really unbearably slow, it takes almost 3 minutes to bring up the results.When I log into the server over remote desktop it seems to be running fine and it is really responsive.Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

IIS is VERY sensitive to a server's specs. As an expert in computers, I can tell you with absolute honesty that the amount of RAM your server has is the reason WSUS is so slow. I would consider adding more RAM to the server, and you will see the difference. WSUS has to get the information from the Microsoft server, then parse the information it receives, then package it for distribution to the clients. All of this requires a lot of memory.