xisto Community
EinReaper

Registry Tweaks tips and trick for regedit

Warning: You should not use the Windows Registry Editor if you have no idea what you are doing.

It is recommended that you make a backup of your registry before using any of these tweaks:

Start > Run > type regedit > Ok > select Computer.

File > Export > type a File name > Save

Disable auto lock (when your computer goes into suspend / hibernate mode)

Start > Run > type regedit > Ok.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Power

Set the value of PromptPasswordOnResume to 0.

Use this if you do not have an administrator account. Otherwise just disable the Prompt for password[...] Desktop Proprieties > S.creen Saver > Power > Advanced

Disable Windows Update

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Create a new REG_DWORD, set its name to NoWindowsUpdate and its value to 1.

Because some people just don't want to be bothered by that Windows Genuine Advantage.

Enable Change Password

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Set the value of DisableChangePassword to 0.

Use this if your administrator has disabled the Change Password feature.

Enable Lock Computer

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Set the value of DisableLockWorkstation to 0.

Use this if your administrator has disabled the Lock Computer feature and you don't want people snooping around your personal files while you are away from your computer.

Enable LogOff

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Set the value of NoLogoff to 0.

LogOff may get disabled by some viruses. You may use this to re-enable it.

Enable Task Manager

Set the value of DisableTaskMgr to 0.

Like LogOff, the Task Manager may also be disabled by some viruses.

Unblock a restricted application

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun

Delete the string value for the application you want to use.

If your administrator has disabled an application you may get this error: 'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator'. Use the tweak above to remove the restriction.

Unblock the Command Prompt

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

Set the value of DisableCMD to 0.

If, for some reason, your cmd has been blocked and you get this error: 'The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator' you can use the above tweak to re-enable it.

Unblock a restricted website

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

Scroll down, find the restricted website and delete its folder.

This only works if the website has been blocked on your computer not on the proxy server.

There are virtually unlimited things you can accomplish by editing your registry.

I did not know how to do this tweaks by editing the windows registry, but now i know, thanks for that, some are usefull to me, sometimes i do find those specific tweaks useful.If you know more useful tweaks, please be so kind to share the codes here, at least i, will apreciate it.Those tweaks for network admins are very useful indeed, and if you know resources too, share them too please.

Edited by Lyon2 (see edit history)

Add things to the startup list

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Click Edit>New>String Value and give it any name. Press enter.

Right click it and choose "modify". Enter the file path of the thing that you want to launch every time you boot. I did that and added my favourite .m3u

Hello, first of all please excuse my english, then, i will try and resume my problem, i work in an offshore company, and they have some polices for using the network, internet, and many other things, 1st of all, few days ago they dissabled my option af changeing my screen saver and the posibility of changeing the time i wait untill screen saver pops up, so they set one of theyr own screen saver and set it to 5 mins, the problem is, the program keeps asking me for password, after each screen saver, so, they also enabled autolock in registrys, thanks to one of the tweak upper, i managed to modify the time before screen saver apears, and set values to 0 to "ScreenSaveTimeOut", "ScreenSaverIsSecure" and "ScreenSaveActive", and worked just fine, but, after restart...the values goes back to how they(network admin) set it, how can i dissable this option(rolling back registrys)?Or u guys tell me how to undo all changes they made to my screen saver :)Thank u in advance!Kind regards!Dan