xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

An Interesting Story About A Double Sided 8" Floppy Disk

I had came across this story by accident and when I started reading this story about this programmer storing data on both sides of one of those old school floppy disks.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

I couldn't believe it was even possible to store data on both sides of one of those bad boys let alone program a game to work on two different disk drives, I think, but still to pull something off like is pretty ingenious. Especially if whoever did this, maybe the guy who the author purchased, did this in the 1980; think about it like this, I think in the late 90s is when cd manufacturers started to begin producing double layer CD's in order to store more data. I am not aware of an of the 3.5" floppies that might have done but even then the 3.5" floppies had more space then the 8" floppies.

OK, it had to happen sooner or later i guess, time to shed some light on just how long I've been in the IT / Comms arena.... On these ;bad guys' as you call them was Autocad for instance and the office solution comprise of Wordstar, Dbase and Supercalc which could integrate for the likes of mail merge etc.... These three sat quite happily on the boot disk and you still had plenty of room for data storage..... If you were super rich you also had colour monitor, external hard drive and 3D graphics card...

And just so can really call me Grandpa (I am anyway, twice over) this thing you call VoIp was working perfectly well in 1973 on Arpanet with toll quality in 3.5k of bandwidth..... Oh how our siblings just love to re-invent the wheel; What was wrong with the round one anyway????

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png