xisto Community
jlhaslip

Domain Registration Question I need an answer to this one urgently

A friend of mine took up an offer from an outfit for FREE HOSTING and a FREE DOMAIN NAME included. That was back in January 2008.
Since then, the account is gone. It appears that the Web Host is collapsed. The Domain name, however, still exists and is registered to her.

The catch is that it is pointed to a nameserver that does not resolve. So, effectively, the Domain name is dead in the water...

Unless someone here can do some sleuthing around to find out how to contact the Domain Registrar and find out the transfer procedure for her. I am at a loss about how to do this.

The Domain Name is mlafever.com and here is the information found via a whois look-up:

Registration Service Provided By: HOST AND SOFTContact: +91.7312572332

Domain Name: MLAFEVER.COM

Registrant:
Purcell Crossing Consultants Group

<< removed personal information >>

Creation Date: 12-Jan-2008
Expiration Date: 12-Jan-2009

Domain servers in listed order:
ns2.hostndomain.org
ns1.hostndomain.org

Administrative Contact:

Technical Contact:

Billing Contact:

The data in this whois database is provided to you for information purposes only,
that is, to assist you in obtaining information about or related
to a domain name registration record. We make this information available "as is",
and do not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a whois query, you agree that you will
use this data only for lawful purposes and that, under no circumstances will you use this data to:
(1) enable high volume, automated, electronic processes that stress
or load this whois database system providing you this information; or
(2) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited,
commercial advertising or solicitations via direct mail, electronic mail, or by telephone.
The compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of this data is expressly prohibited without
prior written consent from us. The Registrar of record is Directi Internet Solutions Pvt. Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com.
We reserve the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by these terms.

*** I have removed the personal information about the account so the botrs do not get it from here. ***
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Actually I would love to hear an answer to that as well, if it is possible to do.The way I see domains, there has to be one central server somewhere, that houses EVERY domain, in a list like...222.222.222.222 http://www.msn.com/de-de?rd=1&ucc=DE&dcc=DE&opt=0222.222.222.223

http://yahoo.com/

and on and onIf this is possible, all you would need is to get that places address...What leads me to this conclusion is that I spent weeks trying to figure out how to set up your own name server but the only things I could find were on how to forward things in your own domain...Like let's say you have http://www.msn.com/de-de, setting http://www.msn.com/ to go over to some other site.Aside from that the amount of information I could find on anything related to this was small.Regardless, I am not having this issue myself but any information would be greatly appreciated, if you do end up running across anything. I love learning and this is something of high interest to me.Thanks!

Domain Name: mlafever.com

Registrar: DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

looks like they are a reseller of hosting and domain services, and they partner with smaller organizations &/or individuals to market their products. where your friend got her domain could be one of them. if you do a whois of their nameservers, you could get the contact email for her "dead" webhost. perhaps that will assist her in finding out what happened to the hosting she registered for (if she's interested), and how to address the issue of modifying the nameservers to which the domain is now currently pointed to.

otherwise, you can just ask her to make a support request regarding her domain here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

let her check if they provide a control panel for her to modify the nameservers, as she wills, at any time. if they don't have a control panel to do that, then maybe they will have to do it on their own, with your friend providing the nameservers of her new host. but if that's the case, and they don't provide a control panel to manage her domains, maybe that's a sign that she needs to move her domain to a new registrar with this feature (maybe check if Xisto - Domains has it, and keep her in the xisto family :)), in cases when she's got to move hosting and change nameservers (like in her situation today).

if she's transferring her domain to a new registrar, the domain needs to be 60 days old and needs to be unlocked -- and mlafever.com appears to meet those two requirements. in addition to that, she'll be needing an EPP key (a transfer authorization key, a security feature implemented October 2006) from her old (current) registrar which generates that and sends it via email to the administrative contact email for that domain name. A transfer is not complete until the new registrar receives the transfer authorization key coming from the previous registrar.

hope you get to sort out your friend's domain. there's still 3 months left before it lapses for renewal (on that point, it would be wise to have her check the renewal process on her current registrar if she's gonna decide to stick with them).

Thanks, serverph. As always, your information has been helpful.Emails sent. Awaiting replies. I'll keep this thread updated.

@jlhaslip: :) i would wish they could help you, having just known after checking now that almost all xisto-related domains are also listed with the publicdomainregistry.com registrar. if that registrar shuts down, xisto domains can be easily wiped off the internet! (not really... am just exaggerating. it would just be harder to transfer them to a new registrar if there is no way they can release an EPP key required. when that happens, i'm stumped. :P)@rpgsearcherz: actually, the registrar information is already mentioned in the domain info provided by jlhaslip above. :P it's near the bottom, maybe that's why he missed it. it does not stand out easily, having been placed among the legal stuff that we just usually read over when scanning a page. i had to countercheck it of course, and any other whois search would give you the registrar information along with other information relavant to a domain (just google "whois").