xisto Community
lucky36

Social Network Code college project

there are many types of social network platforms out there. what do you have in mind? what popular social network/s are you trying to emulate or imitate for your own department's use? something like myspace? digg? friendster?

advise us on what you are trying to achieve and maybe we can help you better.

for starters, you can trawl on these google results for open source social networking scripts. or perhaps this old Xisto topic will help you.

Another Social Network Code Social Network Code

I need a social networking code as well. My needs are quite specific. I am working on a site with flash games therefore the site needs to hold scores of people and so. I need something very simple at first, but should be easy to extend. I should easily be able to add a feature like "user x invites you to play game y " etc. Basically I need something to use as a starting template. I looked at some open source software but there are too many and it is difficult to pick a suitable one. Any help is appriciated. Thanks!

-reply by socialmonkey

dolphin as suggested above is quite cool but is very heavy on the database + it does not work by itself. It continually refers to the owner's website which slows it down a bit.Its a growing community so if you can design your own mods or really customise it..it will be a cool community.Give a shot at Ning.com and see if what they offer does not please you.

Edited by africa (see edit history)

I did a lot of reading up on Dolphin lately, and found that it is not a stable system.Now, it has a lot of features, and will do most things Youtube, Myspace, and others will do, but their whole call-home feature seems to be a big negative. Many sites are claiming that when Boonex's servers go offline, as do their sites. Because of that, it has the possibility of a large downtime. Not to mention, as stated by Africa, it can be slowed by that feature.The free script seems to be bogged down with ads too, with what I was reading from others. To get the ads off everything, it is ~$1,000Now, if you have an awesome community up, and everything is going great for your site, it would be a perfect system to purchase, but with call-home I would not recommend it.