xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
renalm2

Rambus Memory - Rdram Computer beep 3 times when its turned on

Hello guys!
I am having a little problem here, anyone can help me?
When I turn my computer on, it beeps three times. Then if I press the reset button in the next seconds, the problem repeat and will continue to repeat like ten times. But if a wait as much as five minutes before press the reset button then the computer work well and start the operating system. It is like it has to warm-up to work. Some one know why this occur (the warm-up thing)?

I read the manual of the mother board, it's an Intel D850MD and it says it's something wrong with the starting bytes of memory...
Here is the link: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I have two RDRAM in bank 0 and two CRIMM in bank 1.
This problem could be in another thing?

I am from Brazil and it is hard to find this Rambus memory here. I could find some but they are too expensive, like half the price of a new computer. Is there any compatible memory i could use?

Thank you!

check out an old thread in our forums which deal with the same issue as yours.
http://forums.xisto.com/index.php?shoc=22421=

if you want to learn more about the error BEEPs you're getting, and understand them to help you pinpoint the real culprit in your system, read this.

Yeah, thanks.I'm looking at the post that you indicated.But it seems there is a different problem there. You see, he says the computer beep three times and them turn off. In my case, the computer beep three times and don't show nothing on the monitor, but it doesn't turn off.And then, more interesting, if i wait some minutes and reboot it, it works perfectly.I saw your post of yours in that post, and i'm trying to figure out something. Let me read all that and then i return.Thanks man.

Ok, i saw there that he had writen it wrong, his computer doesn't turn off. But it does not boot :lol: ...I will try to remove the graphic card, clean it and the slot, and put it back to see if it works.Thanks

Hey Buddy, Your SMPS could also be the problem. In one of my friends computer, the SMPS was bad and he was having a similar problem. The motherboard was same as yours and he was using a 6600 GT. Problem was that the card was not getting enough power supply and whenever he started the system the computer used to beep up 3 times. Now, since card didn't have enough power to run the Monitor didn't light up. But in your case its starting after 4-5 min. I am guessing, your motherboard is smart enough to sense that the system is not running and hence turn of many of the things to save power. After five minutes when you reboot, since most of the things were off, your gfxcard gets the power and hence its starts up.Actually, Most of the SMPS degrade with time and after 4-5 yrs they dont supply the rated power. This was just a guess, there's no harm in trying. You can bring in one spare SMPS from a friend and then try. RDRAMs were always expensive , thats why they phased out fast. I remember even I had a system with RDRAM for a few months. I decided to sell it only after the first 3-4 months. Upgrades were quite costly. I'll suggest you think about an upgrade too.Also, I remember RDRAM has to be put in pairs, right ? and that is the most annoying part :) > You always spend double

Different memory types and speeds should NEVER be mixed on the same board.Even if they do both run your data integrity is at serious risk of corruption.The beeps your hearing are BIOS post codes for which you need the relevent reference chart from BIOS manufacturer. You will need the version and revision numbers also which should be displayed at boot. You must, however lissen carefully as there are some which are very hard to tell apart for instance long and short combinations, pauses etc. If the RIMM was the last thing to be added then by default it should be first thing to be removed.