xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bittr

How To Transfer Files Directly From My Computer To The Trap17 Account

Hi!I've been hosted in Xisto for almost 4 months now.In the beginning, I tried to setup a WebDisk to directly transfer files from my computer to my hosting account, but I didn't manage to make it work. It might have been from my Vista's weird firewall settings, or my ISP settings, I have no idea.Anyway, I used the File Manager since, as I don't have a lot of files on my site. Needless to say, it is really annoying when I do just some little changes and I have to go again through CPanel, FileManager, UploadFile... pffffSo my question to you... How do you guys transfer your files to your hosting account?I know there are some ways. And there must be some little program you just click a button and your files are sent.So I need some hint on the program you use, and maybe some instructions if there are some weird settings. In general, I am quite computer literate, but there are some types of Internet connection settings that I just don't seem to get them to work.Gracias,Dan

Use FTP client to transfer your files. Download a FTP client like FileZilla. Or if you are using FireFox, install FireFTP extension.It is really nice. After you connect to your Xisto account with FTP, you will see a explorer like interface, your local files in the left side and remote files in the right side. So it very easy to transfer your files and manage your account. Easy easy...

You can choose use 2 ways to transfer files between 2 computers, the 2 ways you can use are 2 protocols, hich are the http and the ftp protocols.

HTTP

You can use this way/protocol to transfer your files to your Xisto account (to your server computer) by log in to your control panel, then click in the file manager icon, then browse to the folder you want to upload your files, then click upload, and that it is. That is an upload limit of 4 or 5 MB at a time.

FTP

You can use this way/protocol to transfer your files to your Xisto account (to your server computer) by using a ftp client to connect to your ftp server (the ftp server is the actual Xisto.com server that that has your ftp account created and configured for you to access your files for you to download, upload, edit, change permissions, whatever).

I use WS-FTP Pro and sometimes i use FLASHFXP Portable with my pen drive in my portable, but you can use the filezilla ftp client or ws-ftp free version as well, the ftp add-on to the firefox browser can not give you much security, i do not trust it much, i must say.

the ftp add-on to the firefox browser can not give you much security, i do not trust it much, i must say.

No need to worry about FireFTP security. It supports SFTP, SSL and more. And it is cross platform. So you can use it on any Operating System. And it is available in more than 20 languages. If you have any doubts go to this link fireftp features. FireFTP has more than 7.4 million downloads. Edited by xpress (see edit history)

True, although effective, uploading through Cpanel's File Manager can be a bit long winded if you have quite a few files to upload, plus there is the restriction you experience during upload.Therefore it is a good idea to start using something like FileZilla (a free but very good program), and there are more free FTP programs around too.However, the way I do it is from my HTML editor itself. I, for example, use Coffeecup HTML editor, which has a feature in which you enter your server details once, and when you have edited a page, or a number of pages, you upload them to your server with just one click of the mouse.However, it is not only Coffeecup which has that feature, Dreamweaver has it too, and, as far as I can remember, practically any HTML editor I have ever seen has that feature, even the most basic one. And, let us not forget, there are also a great number of free HTML editors out there, some of them are very good as a matter of fact. To me that is still the best solution, instead of having to edit your pages, and then switching programs to do the uploading, just do it from the same program. The feature is there, so, why not use it?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!I got FileZilla and it is exactly what I wanted.For other people reading this topic and not having FileZilla yet, I can tell you what settings to use:- the Host: your site's URL (e.g.: sing-along.trap17.com)- User & Password, the same as the ones you log into CPanel.

FileZilla seems popular..... Though I have one question. What is an FTP account and how does having multiple accounts help?

Get Filezilla, it's a FTP client. Which pretty much means you can upload your files from your computer straight to your server.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it now!To get it working you've gotta get your FTP account details, you can find them somewhere on your CPanel. If you still getting problems, pm me your questions and I'll be more then happy to help you.