xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
leiaah

Working With Objects In Java searching with objects

our teacher assigned us to do an IS that uses object oriented programming language. i decided to use java but im having a few troubles linking objects with other objects when im searching... can anyone help me? tnx.

our teacher assigned us to do an IS that uses object oriented programming language.  i decided to use java but im having a few troubles linking objects with other objects when im searching... can anyone help me? tnx.

42557[/snapback]

If you could post the problem here that would be great. Like: What you want, what isn't working, relevant code (if any). :P

well i know how to write a file and to read a file but im having trouble searching for one particular object. I put an object ID on each object that I made and I was wondering how to search for it. Should I be using array? thanks.

I hope I've understood it right that you have a number of Objects, and each Object has its own ID. And you have to make something that gets an Object when you search for its ID.

In that case I recommend HashTable.

Something like:

Hashtable objects = new Hashtable();hashtable.put("Object#1", new MyObject());

And this to get an object
MyObject o = (MyObject)objects.get("Object#1");

You can think of a HasTable as a table with two columns. One column hold the identifiers/keys the other the Objects.

So if you have an Object you call "ob" and "ob" has a public method called "getID()" which returns the ID, and a HashTable you call "ht" then you can store the Object in the HashTable by:
ht.put(ob.getID(), ob);

Read more here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/