xisto Community
bhavesh

Best Cms And Forum Combination

I want to install a content management system along with a forum. Also I want to show google adsense ads in the site and forum.Please suggest me a combination which is "the best" and at the same time free. :lol:Can I try Joomla along with phpBB3

I want to install a content management system along with a forum. Also I want to show google adsense ads in the site and forum.
Please suggest me a combination which is "the best" and at the same time free. ^_^
Can I try Joomla along with phpBB3

Joomla and phpbb3 are the best among thier respective categories. Also you can think of adding forum as a component for joomla! There are many I suppose. Just try them, if they doesn't fit your needs then you may choose phpbb3. But just remember that, it is very bloated with features. Are you hosting another Xisto forum? :lol:

Yes. Joomla. One of the best open source CMSs available. Joomla is very powerful.

And many addons and extensions are available for joomla.

Many forum extensions like FireBoard Forum, SMF(Simple Machines Forum) phpBB .

FireBoard is one of the popular one and is free. It can be installed like a regular component

through joomla adminstration. No bridges needed. You can find more about FireBoard at

moredetails and download fireboad from here

Why have phpBB3 + Joomla! When you can have phpBB3 by itself!?phpBB3 has a very customizable "engine" that allows it to be used as a very powerful CMS... You can easily add a portal such as Stargate Portal, or something that will make your forum fully integrated with your portal...I'm not writing this just to advertise phpBB... But it is good software, and with just a few lines of code, you can almost integrate any website into phpBB3...So... Even though Joomla! is pretty powerful, it will still need a bridge so that it can share sessions, etc with phpBB... I have tried many bridges and the only bridge that is quite stable doesn't work very well... And if people have profiles, they would still need to update both sides... :lol:But... If you have the time to mod phpBB, then by all means do it, but if you have no option (or time), go with Joomla! and phpBB... A solution to not use the bridges would simply be to disable registration on the Joomla! board...

I would say the Simple Machines Forum and Mambo combination is most likely the best out there. It is the only CMS that is fully supported by SMF, and is easy to start. Simple Machines Forum is the best forum software that is free, and may be the most secure (I have never seen a forum running the current version that was hacked). As for Mambo, I haven't used it much, but have heard that it and Joomla are the best CMS's out there.SMF is a great forum software if you want to have a lot of MODs or styles. Most MODs install in seconds, and all styles install in seconds.If you need any assistance, feel free to PM me on here or on SMF's support forum (my username is the same there too).

Thank you all of you for youe valuable suggestions. I have installed Joomla and phpBB3. But now I want to know which is a good bridge. If any body has used this combination then please help me with your valuable inputs.

RokBridge is good... I've used it before and the only thing it can't quite "synchronise" with phpBB is the user interests, etc... But otherwise RokBridge is good...

I have tried to use jfusion, but it got somewhere wrong and I was unable to access my admin page. And I have to reinstall everything. Also it is in testing version so I have decided not to use any bridge.If any one has good experience of using a good bridge then do reply.

Why don't you try the FireBoard once, which I mentioned in my above post. No bridge needed for that. Just give it a try. No bridge problems. If you don't like it, then switch to another.

In my opinion it Datalife Engine and DLE Forum it is simple the finest thing, but besides, there is this question, everyone cms and each forum on the are good and have the defects, and it is impossible to choose the best, because made in the world is not present.... To choose for the project cms and a forum, it will be necessary to solve at first under what category the project if it is a news portal is better wordpress and datalife engine for dle it is possible dle forum and for wordpress in my opinion for any of forums IPB vBulletin phpBB it already on the taste and desire, and site and forum integration is very easy for making. It personally my opinion

What a great topic. I have enjoyed all of your posts. And have been looking for a good combination myself. Considering that joomla/Fireboard doesn't need a bridge is impressive. Thanks for all of the great ideas!

I have used Joomla and SMf and wasn't really impressed.

The guys who developed the mod you use to link up the two are out of work and have since stopped developing it.

I agree with csp4.0 phpbb3 rocks! try it mate...

SMF is one of the powerful forum software but in my opinion it still lags behind phpbb3.

IPB is your other option but its quite expensive..if you have the money, its the best around in my opinion.

Edited by africa (see edit history)

I've messed around with some different combinations myself, and came up with a conclusion that attempting to mix the CMS and forums may not be the most efficient method. Instead, I have been finding it easier to just add a normal link to the forums(using html box or just adding a new link "Forums") and putting them in an easy to remember location(such as domain.com/forums). This keeps you from needing a bridge, or any other changes to your forums and/or site.As for the dual login, I have found that a lot of people who visit the site don't use the forums anyways, so it wasn't a big issue.This is just the case for me, and may or may not be a good choice in your situation as well.