xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Please Review My Site

I've had the same layout for ages but I decided that it's time to get a proper review.

My website url is: http://princesstimes.com/

I'd like to know what you think of the layout and navigation.

Content-wise I don't really need reviews because my website has always catered to a specific group of audience so I don't know if everyone here appreciates my content and I wouldn't want half-baked criticisms about things they don't understand. But if you want to comment on my content, I won't stop you, just that I probably won't take your advice if I find that it doesn't apply to me. Also, I've still got some sections not up yet, so you can ignore those first :lol:

Feel free to leave comments in my website itself. Thanks!

First of all, why are you still using WordPress 2.5.1? It has some serious bugs and you are vulnerable if some naughty cracker wants to break your site, believe me he will do that. Here is a great plugin you can install in WordPress (I believe you can do this on your own) for automatical upgrade of WP: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - you'll find more info on the site. It will guide you through the upgrade process and you'll do it extra easily :lol:
The navigation is good, it does the work it's intended for and the style of the page fits with the content you are writing about. You have a portfolio which is great too if someone wants to hire you. Your site/sidebar only lacks a search field, because it's an essential part of a website and you also need to make the posts/pages more interesting, and by that I mean you need to lose the "?p=192" from your posts' permalinks and replace it with something more interesting, like the date/month when it came out and the name of the post after that, you can change how it looks like in here: http://princesstimes.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fprincesstimes.com%2Fwp-admin%2Foptions-permalink.php&reauth=1 Read more about it here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

Other than that, your site looks great and the content is great too.

P.S. I think I fell in love. ^_^

Thanks for the compliments and the suggestions! The links will be handy, I'm always putting off what I need to do because I have no time or am simply too lazy to find out how to do the various work that should be done. lol Thanks again for taking the time to post your review. It's much appreciated :lol:

I have to compliment the really good design. But some improvements could be made. I suggest getting a real gallery for your site, you shld be able to get that on Wordpress plugins site. Also, maybe you would want to add in social bookmarking to make your blog much more popular, like Digg and Delicious. Google them to know more. Enjoy.Maybe I could get it done for you if you are "simply too lazy", haha. Cheers.

I have to compliment the really good design. But some improvements could be made. I suggest getting a real gallery for your site, you shld be able to get that on Wordpress plugins site. Also, maybe you would want to add in social bookmarking to make your blog much more popular, like Digg and Delicious. Google them to know more. Enjoy.
Maybe I could get it done for you if you are "simply too lazy", haha. Cheers.

I have to agree with the above. also, myself I am not too keen with the colors. Myself I would have gone with something in the line of a solid, or even a gradient.

other than that it's great.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! The social bookmarking is a good idea. I'll look into that! Hehe actually yes I'm kinda in a lazy mood but I think I should take more responsibility for my own site XDI used to have real galleries for my website in the past. I've used 4images and coppermine. But my bandwidth gets used up super fast cos' of the number of visitors and the number of pics I have. So I decided to switch to external galleries instead.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! The social bookmarking is a good idea. I'll look into that! Hehe actually yes I'm kinda in a lazy mood but I think I should take more responsibility for my own site XDI used to have real galleries for my website in the past. I've used 4images and coppermine. But my bandwidth gets used up super fast cos' of the number of visitors and the number of pics I have. So I decided to switch to external galleries instead.

wow your site is nice. its like a blog site. the design is good and the best view resolution is 800x600. the only weird thing i found is the bottom, there is no horizontal brown color to close the vertical line, i just think its a bit of weird. the menu font is nice, wonder what font is that

I would have to agree on some of the suggestions about helping your site be more search engine friendly by getting rid of those php like links and using better ones, like what was mention about the photo dates and what not. Also another suggestion I have and just because it rather annoys me for some reason, don't ask me why, but I suggest that you start using lightbox or one of its many variations, because it adds a bit more professionalism to the the website and it get rid of all that extra click as well in order to go back to the website. Only downfall to that is you won't be able to use those ads you have on the other way.

As for the pictures **wipes drool away**, also I was thinking when I saw the picture of you with the computer, should have one with Xisto on it :lol:. Also I am shocked :D, I don't see my sig on your site ^_^. Other then that its a picture perfect portfolio website.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Your website is really good! i really like all the pictures!! not alot of text :lol: And as saint micheal said you should use Lightbox it is really good instead of opening a new window or tab it can be really useful and not be annoying!

Hello Bishoujo,I think you have got lots of suggestions regarding your site. As you know because it is because of your art which you used to make your site very colorful. I am newbie to this world. But I would really like to see what else you can add to make your site from good to best as you are an artist you will make it best. I wish you Best Of Luck.

Hi Gingko!

I saw your site before, about 3 months ago, I think. I was a newly hosted member of Xisto, and you welcomed me on my Introduction post.
So, as a comparison, it looks nicer than 3 months ago :lol:

Some suggestions (if you didn't receive too many already):
1. You should remove the calendar on right, under the menu. It has no use and takes space without purpose. Instead, you could put there a list of the entries in this month, or a list of the most viewed entries.

2. I don't know how much disk space / badwidth you can use, but if it fits your hosting account, you should try to put all the pictures on your website, without the external links to other websites. I don't think you need a gallery, you don't have so many photos, but for the photos you have, if you have them on your website it's better. Imagine for example I send a friend a link with a photo of yours (full size). If the photo is hosted on your website, he might go to the home page, read more things about you and more entries in your blog.
Or at least try to use only one external gallery, like the Google Picasa, and have all the photos there on your customized account, pointing back to your blog.

As an overall view, you have a nice website. And this is my favourite photo of you: http://5921028109267.usercash.com/
See you around!

Edited by bittr (see edit history)