xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlueInkAlchemist

Looking To Move From Office Live Regarding a Domain Name

My domain, http://www.blueinkalchemy.com/, is currently registered with Microsoft Office Live. I want to move to Trap 17 so I can more freely develop content using PhP and MySQL. How complicated is the process to have the URL point to hosting space on Xisto, provided I am approved for that space? Thanks in advance...

Yay! Easy answer! This is something I can actually help you with.First things first... get approved for hosting here. This site will give you the correct "nameservers" to point your domain to. I'll get to the details in a second.If you want to keep your current files, download them from your current host to your computer. You always want a complete backup.Go to the website of the company you bought your domain through (e.g. Godady.com) and follow the directions on their site to change the "nameservers". Type in the addresses supplied by Xisto. The whole process should take 24-48 hours, so be patient.Your website will now not work. Don't panic.Go to yoursite.com/cpanel and login with your Xisto username and password. Have fun configuring stuff. That's pretty complicated, and you may not need to do anything there. Maybe you'll want to add an SQL database. In that case, just reply here again and I can help you with all that jazz.Get an FTP program. I use FireFTP, a plugin for Firefox. Login with your FTP program using what Xisto has provided (or what you chose). Transfer all your site's files to the public_html folder.Personally, I would redo the site completely, no offense. Another suggestion I have is that you NOT put your email address on the site. You're just asking--no, begging--for spammers to start flooding your email. You should put in a "contact me" form with some sort of security picture device (e.g. CAPTCHA).By the way, good choice with Xisto. You say you want freedom, and here it is in a fashion you will find nowhere else. Seriously.

Okay, you have to change the domain pointing from where you BOUGHT the domain, not from your current hosting.

I got the domain for free from Microsoft as part of their Office Live package. That might be why I can't move it easily.