xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlueInkAlchemist

Canada Or The Us? Advice for me and my girlfriend.

I live in the United States (near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), and have completed my bachelor's degree (English) and coursework for a master's (Instructional Technology). My girlfriend will soon be attending college and university, possibly pursuing a degree in law or history, and lives in Canada (Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario). We've debated her coming down here to study, possibly at Penn State, as well as me moving north to study an MFA in Creative Writing. Which would be less expensive? It's going to be costly any way we slice it, but we're looking at a long-term relationship and would rather not be broke so we can enjoy it. :lol:Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

It would be more expensive for her because she would have to apply for a student Visa and pay out of state fees for her college tuition as well. Of course, in order to get pass all that she would have to apply for dual citizenship or become nationalize and become an American by either filling out the papers or getting married. Odds are you go through the same process just to go to school in Canada, except for the marriage thing and because the future is still unknown I would suggest staying local untill you are properly informed on what you do would have to do to go up north or go down south for college.

Hello!Well, I live in Canada and comparing university prices, I find Canada's are really CHEAP!!! In US, it can sometimes go over 40 thousands dollars per year. In Canada, it usually takes about 5 thousands with books included. (Depending in which programm you are, but for english, won't go over this I am sure).Saint_Michael got a good point though. If she is not living in Canada, she will be considered like an international student and a ''visa student'' like he said. It might cost over 7-8 thousands per semester which equals to about 16 thousands a year. And you gotta add books to this price.So for you to calculate the difference of prices.In terms of education, I am not really sure. I would tend to say that US would be better maybe and also proximity and so on, but there are some good teachers in Canada too...Well, good luck!Tim.

State colleges are the best for you. If you live off campus, you could pay about 5 grand a year. As for this, it may be easier and less expensive if you guys were to go to college in your own country, because of the fees associated with coming t the US for school. If you go up to Canada, you will be paying a lot in taxes, but you will get health care for free.

Don't start school in one country and finish in another. Half your credits won't do you any good if you decide to do it that way. If you know you will finish a degree, however, it should be good anywhere. In that case, I would recommend Canada.I have lived in Canada and the U.S., and I like both countries. I think Canada is more beautiful, but the cost of living is higher. Moving from Nova Scotia to Missouri was a huge difference in scenery and price. I guess you get what you pay for, even in citizenship! As for education, though, you will get a similar program with similar results for much less in Canada. Actually, Canada is known for a better educational system (before college, granted) than the U.S.A. So is half the world, but at least they speak the same language in Canada. Just remember to "u" your favourite colours and "que" your bank cheques.

May have only visited both countries over the years, but I would suggest starting and finishing your studies and/or course in the one country rather than transfer to the other and have issues with credits because one country doesn't take in particular studies which may or may not be approved/taught in those particular areas.