xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
radames

Mac To Read Microsoft Word

openoffice needs X11. Try NeoOffice, it's open office that runs natively (as in not with x11)If you wanted to pay you could get iWork. Pages for word files (it does use its own format) numbers for excel (I haven't used it but i've tried it and its useable unless you want special formulas) and keynote for powerpoint (great presentation program)

There are plenty of options available. One of course would be to get Microsoft Office for mac. If you go with this one I recommend the student/teacher edition ($149.95) instead of the full program ($399.95). Unless you are going to be using it for business, or you plan on writing a novel the student and teacher version is sufficient. However, you may not feel like dropping $149.95 to be able to read word files, and there are many other options that might not be quite as compatible but still sufficient for normal use. One would be to get iWork, ($79.00), another would be to use Open Office, which is free. As saitunes mentioned Open Office does use X11, however if you are running leopard, X11 is already pre-installed. All right lets see what other solutions are there? You didn't mention anything about opening word and excel files, you just said "reading" them. If viewing the files is all you are trying to do, and you are running leopard you can always quicklook them. Quicklook supports microsoft word and excel files even if you don't have an application installed that can open them, however I doubt that you only want to read them, you probably want to be able to open and save to them. Another option would be to use google docs. Sign up for a google account and upload all of your word and excel files to docs and read and edit them there. If you want some more free solutions I'd try searching version tracker for any word and spreadsheet applications that support the word format.