xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Peta Urges Ben & Jerry's To Use Human Milk

Original Source

http://www.mynbc5.com/article/peta-urges-ben-jerry-s-to-use-human-milk/3287822

First off I do not think PETA knows how much milk would be needed to produce millions of gallons of ice cream and I don't think PETA realizes that human can be easily tainted if under the right conditions such as drug use. I don't know what the average mother produces until her child is weened off the breast milk, but I know this their is not enough women in this world who could produce the amount of milk needed by natural means. So drugs would be produce in order to even produce this the amount of milk needed for ice cream production.

Of course I haven't heard the other side of story but regardless, I think PETA needs to realize that would be a stupid move to make and odds are would collapse the ice cream industry because of it and besides what inhumane treat would be done ot those women who do nothing but produce milk for ice cream, I would think it would be emotional and physical torture to them as well.

Yeh its an absolutely stupid idea. They take an example from a presumably fairly small restaurant and try to scale it up to one of the major ice cream producers... Its like a plan concocted by a 7 year old. Now im all for ethical treatment of animals. So why didnt they just write and ask B&Js to use free range dairy farmers or something? Thats much more reasonable and probably cheaper than using human milk.What a stupid letter to send...

I thought that this was an awesome idea when my co-worker told me about this article just today. :lol: Right off the back, I thought that this was a laughable idea. To request something like this just seems like an asinine proposal... logistically improbable, really. Breast milk is intended to be weaned by infants to help them develop... it is not a continuously-available source of food, which kind of hints that we as humans needed to grow up, so to speak, to find other sources of food by foraging, hunting, and walking our lazy butts down to the supermarket. The breast may be best, but to an extent.I'm glad to know that the vice president of PETA made a request as opposed to a demand, but for them to even think about asking Ben and Jerry's to do an entire turnaround of how they do things is rather bold. I am against unnecessary animal cruelty, and if it goes to benefit the quality of life of animals, I can see why they would make such claims to make sure that cows are treated as humanely as possible. However, if they really want to make a difference, I would attack the caregivers of the animals themselves and to revolutionize how we treat our livestock as opposed to trying to destroy the demand for the resource, since milk is going to be an omnipresent item in most lives, whether it comes from cows, goats, or what-have-you.SM is absolute in his argument with tainted breast milk. Of course there will be screenings, but has anyone actually done research on how breast milk may be linked to possible transmissions of diseases, genetic or hereditary issues, or anything of that sort? Nothing is safe anymore with our advents in science and research. Heck, when we can actually say that milk can be possibly BAD for you, not to mention that nutrition is becoming a refined science in itself down to the last milligram of iron or zinc that you need, you can't help but wonder if we should even worry about nutrition as far as the human race goes, since everything we put into our bodies has that trace of an idea that it could be bad for you.Health issues are attributed to a combination of things. I thought it was funny how the letter insisted that it would be beneficial that we abandoned the use of cow's milk to help fight current issues like heart disease and obesity. I'm guessing that people that make such arguments fail to realize that obesity is also caused by a lack of motivation to exercise, flawed medical practice, current medical issues like diabetes or a "faulty" thyroid gland, and/or genetics.This reminds me of how a lot of PETA supporters at one point actually left the organization and abandoned their support because the head of the operation seemed to make requests and conjure up ideas like this.It might be interesting if Ben and Jerry's - and any other vendors of diary products, rather - take up the idea as a side project to see if it makes any actual difference as far as nutritional benefit. In all reality, I don't think it makes a difference... and I think that we should look more towards the treatment of animals at the sites where they are housed as opposed to attacking business that kind of sort of thrive on these resources... ^_^ Note: This is coming from the point-of-view of a person who loves his steak and his seafood. I also hate the idea of animal cruelty... and I'm all up for supporting the improvement of the quality of life for animals alike, but I, like most of the animal kingdom, can't just drop the meat and go vegan. (If you can sit down with a 200+ lb. Bengal tiger and convince him/her to eat just carrots for the rest of his/her life, please get back to me.) :D

Thats just stupid, as well as there just wouldnt be enough, it would most likely reduce sales, it wouldnt be nice, wondering where and who it came from... And what about infections, they can be carried in milk, you could end up giving people aids ect.of course, yes, it would be monitored for everything like that, but mistakes happen.

Yeah it's ridiculous. I wonder what's happening with PETA supporters and that restaurant... not all publicity is good publicity ^_^

So why didnt they just write and ask B&Js to use free range dairy farmers or something?

Not enough of them :lol: (ambiguity.. unless it was meant to be a pun? ;p)

Whoa

Ami dreaming, or imagining things or is this true....

I started to laugh when i read this topic thinking its another comic forum but after going thro' the link i realised its definitely concocted by 7, no probably an insane person....

Cruelty meted towards animals is definitely bad but cruelty towards any living organism is definitely bad.

For the record no organism can live without eating or stealing anything that belongs to other living organisms.

Even if u are a vegetarian you eat food and to prepare this meal innumerable grains(seeds) areused, which are potential children of the plants.... Isn't this a cruelty towards plants.

And in fact plants also have feelings and they also do feel pain and cry, but we can't hear that as the frequency of the cry is very low... below even seismic levels.

Coming to the breast milk....

late Dr. Benjamin Spock, America's leading authority on child care, spoke out against feeding cow's milk to children, saying it may play a role in anemia, allergies, and juvenile diabetes and in the long term, will set kids up for obesity and heart disease-America's number one cause of death.

Let me clarify this here.... Pediatricians say things like these so that infants are not fed cow's milk for the simple reason that cow's milk is for the calf and human milk is for the infant. Breast milk contains necessary nutrients like lactulose which is essential for brain development as the brain development occurs mainly in the first 2 years of life..

The beauty of the nature is, composition of milk automatically changes from time to time depending upon the child's requirements.... Further if you analyse 2 samples, one that of a mother of a preterm baby, and another of the mother of a normal baby, you'll find that there is a lot of difference.

Now I'll ask you all which mother will be willing to share her milk for preparing ice crems?

And how do they intend to milk the mothers??

All these things apart, there is one more point that the breast milk has lot of lactulose which is digested with ease by infants and not by adults so even this would result in intolerance if they go ahead with this plan...

Regarding the quantity of milk, it actually is secreted to the quantity the child can consume in a day. And it slowly increases day by day til about 6 months... At 6 months, it is roughly about 1000 ml per day...

I don't know how they intend to satisfy the requirements by Ben & Jerry's

Well finally, I'd say it is a thought with a good intention but as we say it can only be imagined by a Tughlaq

Wait...is this serious? Like, I don't hate animals or anything, but that's like the point of having cows is to milk them and eat them, etc...as much as I love cows, and milking cows isn't cruel to them in any way... Actually suggesting to use human milk is cruelty to humans... I doubt anyone would want to be treated like an animal like that and seriously, people aren't animals! What will it be next, Peta wanting us to eat human fetuses instead of chicken eggs because laying eggs isn't something we should have chickens for and it's cruel to chickens? Ludicrous!

LAUGH OUT LOUD! This is funny. How silly can you get, I mean com'on! You want a HUGE ice cream company to use human milk? Why the hell would they? Why the hell would ANY company? Who wants to drink human milk past the age of 5, honestly who? Unless you have some strange fetish, I'd say the majority of us wouldn't. Cows milk is there for a reason, there would be no point to neglect the FACT that there's an open source of FREE milk just out there to get.PTA, you've only shown just how crazy you are.

Good Grief!Will the stupidity of PETA never end??????A good Holstein cow gives 5 or so gallons of milk per day. There is no way any human can even come close to that. And can you imagine the cost of a dipper of rocky road if the value of the humans time was factored into the cost of the milk? Dairy farmers get mere pennies for a gallon of milk, even if you paid a human minimum wage for the time in the milking parlor, how would you find enough humans willing to waste their time for what they would get paid, or if you had to pay them wages on an equal basis for their time, milk would cost a small fortune. The handling of milk is a very delicate thing to prevent it from contamination, in order to be safe practicly every sample would have to be tested, and that would add a trememdous amount to the costs, considering you are only going to be getting a few ounces of milk per milking, as opposed to testing a bulk milk tank that holds several hundred gallons. There are dozens of dairy farms here in the Ozarks. I even worked on one as a kid. The cows have it made for crying out loud! They stand around all day eating grass, when it gets hot they go lay under the shade trees or stand in the pond, and twice a day they get to come in the barn and eat yummy grain that they just love, and then it's back out to loafing around again. Sheesh, we should all have it that easy. The only animal that has it better is the bulls and broncs in the rodeo circut, they only have to work 8 seconds about 3 times per week.

If you honestly have to show the bad side to the situation, then ya your guna get people to take action for this. However, I think this corp. Is only good for one thing, and that is pet abuse, but you also have to show the good things. You show cows that are in tight places but what the viewers don't no is that their milking or eating in stalls. Also if u think people in my county will drink breast milk then your even more stupid than I thought. If it isnt ok to give cows drugs for things then why would it be ok to give it to humans. This idea was stupid from the begining.

-reply by John