xisto Community
shddgfgc

Indian Food savouries

hello pplone questionHow many of u have been to India?when u were at India what food have u been eating?well there are a few dishes which u can get anywhere of course but in their true tastes u'll find them only in indiaThere has been one post already on idlisLets talk bout dosasDosas are the most closest compatriots to pancakesthey are made up of cooked flour of rice and dhal..there are varieties of dosasplain dosamasala dosaonion dosaset dosapaper dosarava dosa well i dont remember all but there are many moreguys contribute with other food items.....

To be fair, I'd have to say I have never been to India, so I don't know exactly how food there tastes like.My mom does make curry, though, and so does my sister. My mom has a tendency to put plenty of coconut milk while my sister goes wild with the curry powder. In any case, I like chicken curry ^_^I once read a book, The Conch Bearer, and its setting is in India. My mouth watered in the same way the main character's mouth watered over onion pakoras and spinach dal. I tried wiki-ing it, discovering that pakoras are very much like tempuras.I once saw something on the grocery shelf called chiken kolchapuri. It looked really delicious on the box's label so I decided to try it. When I opened it around dinner time, it has a strange smell. It's not an offensive smell, just new, actually. I tasted a bit of the sauce and it was spicy but rather tolerable, methinks. I microwaved it and sat down to dinner with rice. The first spoonful was hot, both temperature-wise and taste-wise. I could smell a bit of some spices although, for the life of me, I could not identify what those were. The second and third spoonfuls saw me halving my glass of iced tea. Somehow, it didn't even work; my tongue is burning and beads of sweat formed on my forehead.After dinner, with a burning mouth, I had the vague notion of drinking milk. It did work somehow as the burning subsided. I felt hot and warm and exhausted so I laid down to rest a while. I do remember that I will only rest awhile because I needed to do something online. I woke up, however, and discovered I was out for four hours! So, I resolved, that's it for Indian food. No more Indian food for me, aside from Mama's curry.And lassi, too. I've read about it; something yogurt-like and fruity, I suppose. It sounds safe enough :lol:

Sambar is a vegetable stew or curry based on a broth made with tamarind and toor dal, especially in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.

No food is considered complete without sambhar in a regular meal in south india

Posted Image

To cook it You'll need a recipe. And it will depend on the type of sambar u wanna prepare. What i'm saying is that sambar is dependent on geographical area. still i'll provide a link for that

http://www.south-indian-recipes.com/sambarrecipe.html

So happy eating sambar

South indian dishes are quite common in my country, and also there are restaurants selling north indian food. I don't think some of the south indian dishes are authentic Indian-Indian food though. It could be like a fusion of Indian food and our local flavours. But I LOVE Indian food, especially their curries. I like spicy stuff, and the spices they use smell so lovely. My favorites are thosai and prata, though I think the tastiness is really dependent on the quality and flavor of their curries/gravy. i like mutton and chicken curry personally. I think north indian food is a bit too sweet, at least that's what I perceive of those I've eaten.

hello ppl

one question

How many of u have been to India?

when u were at India what food have u been eating?

well there are a few dishes which u can get anywhere of course but in their true tastes u'll find them only in india

There has been one post already on idlis

Lets talk bout dosas

Dosas are the most closest compatriots to pancakes

they are made up of cooked flour of rice and dhal..

there are varieties of dosas

plain dosa

masala dosa

onion dosa

set dosa

paper dosa

rava dosa

well i dont remember all but there are many more

guys contribute with other food items.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

An Indian restaurant has won a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for making the world's largest dosa measuring 25 feet (8.3 metres) and weighing 7.5 kg (16.5 lb)

Guys post some record breaking pictures.. huh.

Hi, the food items in south India has its own specialty. The picture shown by you is nice and dosa also. I know about pesarat and combination with upma or chutney will be a nice combination. Many are there every individual item is special in South Indian dishes.I really like the dishes there.-----------Ricky Conway

The mere sight of the Sambar has me salivating! Alas, it's near midnight and too late to eat without suffering reprocutions of some sort or the other. And so I satisfy my hunger with single-malt scotch and ale of an American persuasion. I have often tried my hand at Indian savories with poor results. Although, my Indian Chole isn't too awful. Living in a rural area, I don't have the luxury of hitting the nearest Indian buffet whenever the mood hits. Such are my torments. I do, however, have a standing offer to visit a friend in Egypt...a wee bit closer to the source of cuisine I love so dearly. And I hear Taj Majal beer is more affordable there!

Dear friends talking about India dishes.Don’t say that my mouth started watering. I should say they are really delicious and healthy to eat too.?Dear friend the dishes which you are mentioning here is from southern part of India. There are more dishes out their in South India. And they are as follows.?1. UZUNDA VADA:- It is a dishes which is made up of a cereal known as black matpe bean the dish looks like a circle with a hole in between. This is a dish which is made by deep frying in oil or ghee. It is served with a mixed vegetable dish called SAMBHAR and CHATNI.?? ?post-73445-1229341722_thumb.jpeg2. PARIPPA VADA:- Its another dish of South India which is very delicious and made up of grams. Its prepared by half ground grams. Again its prepared by deep frying in Oil. And served with CHATNI.?post-73445-1229341692_thumb.jpeg3. PUTTU:- Its again a delicious Dish of South India and made up of rice powder and cooked in steam. And due to which it is very healthy as no oil is used for cooking this dish. It is also made up of RAGGI powder. Normally it is served with gram curry or bananas.??post-73445-1229341702_thumb.jpeg4. UNNI APPAM:- Its again a delicious sweet dish of South India specially of KERALA. Its made up of rice powder and JAGERY for making it sweet. It is fried in oil.??post-73445-1229341713_thumb.jpegHope all of you liked this information on Indian dishes if you want more then I will post it again later. Bye for now dear friends. ?