xisto Community
CyrusX

Firefox And Ie: Table Layouts Look Different In Us! A Discussion on Why These Major Browsers Display Different Table Layou

Hi again!Recently I noticed that IE and FireFox display table layouts in different ways. It is a headache for web designer to add some compatibility for the issue. Currently I have some problems using tables in my website. For example FireFox adds 3-4 pixels to my table width where IE display is clean.I use some CSS mixed with HTML normal tables and want to customize my PmWiki theme to integrate it with the rest of my website.I appreciate any help.Thank you.

Firefox has default settings for tables, like border, padding, etc, that other browsers don't or may not have. You can see the same thing when comparing Opera and Firefox concerning tables. If you want them removed, then use the border, cellpadding and cellspacing attributes.

Well, for one, you shouldn't be using table layouts at all. Sure it's easy, but in the end it makes your code very very messy.

Thank you for your kind guidelines.

Yes, the code with tables looks indeed messy! But as I described in my earlier posts - hiding somewhere in this major trap! - I use Qupis and to install a CMS by hand is a total torture there so I had no chance to test another possibility at all. Besides I am a newbie in web design and I appreciate everybody who teaches something to me!!

With that out of the way, finally I could fix the tables using margins and cell paddings, even I could define opacity in my menues in both FF and IE, by manipulating the CSS main files. :lol:

Thank you all for taking care of my question.

Regards,

Cyrus

firefox making me crazy

Firefox And Ie: Table Layouts Look Different In Us!

Hi

My web page look different on IE from firefox and its also different from one page to another in the same website

The link is http://www.alexexpressco.com/

Thanks for your help

-question by mohamed

Don't go around telling other people what code they should use.  You just can't render code useless year after year.  It effects a lot of websites.  MANY people still use tables and the most popular browsers should take that into consideration -- for business reasons -- instead of taking a condescending elitist view.

What POINT would someone have to post something like "you shouldn't be using tables"?  How does that help this questioner?

IE(pre8.0)/AOL Browsers DonFirefox And Ie: Table Layouts Look Different In Us!My site looks fine in Safari, Firefox, Opera, and even IE 8.0, but looks like the dog's breakfast in I.E. 6 and 7 and on the AOL Browser, which I understand is IE-based. Basically what's happening is that the content/story sections of the site are riding UP in IE, covering portions of the masthead and most of the navigation bar. 

I've filled with the padding and margins to no avail. I really need help (in the "for dummies" mode -- I'm pretty new to all this!) because much as I'd like to tell everyone to just use Firefox or upgrade their IE, as a practical matter, most folks use the browser in which this is not working, rather than the ones that do.

Thanks.

Graphic bump in IE 8. Any help?Firefox And Ie: Table Layouts Look Different In Us!

I'm a novice web developer using tabled layouts and CSS.

See this page: http://www.caramelicious.net/

In IE 8 there are some weird miss-alignment of the rollover graphics in the main navigation which makes the inside border and graphics look missaligned verically. This page looks fine in Firefox, etc.

There is a form on the 'view cart' button that I thought was causing the bumping, so I created a class for 'form' with 0 padding, 0 border, 0 margin. This fixed the bump in Firefox, but not in IE. Any ideas?

Thanks.

-reply by Wade

Displaying problems with IEFirefox And Ie: Table Layouts Look Different In Us!

I don't know what to do.I've created web site for Firefox, but when I see it in IE it's really messy.The problem is  that the table from template has totally different W-sizes for cells.And cells are justified from bottom to top and it shouldn't be like that:(.  The rows should  be concentrated at the top of left column...It has to present some kind of meny .

Does anybody know how to fix it? Please...:)))) 

-question by jelica

All web browsers display things differentlythat's why when your a coder you should have multiple browsers installed on your systemso that you can check your work for compatibility.like. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, Oprabut you should focus on Internet Explorer and Firefox as their the most popular browsersCheers :)

To resolve your issue is to delete all whitespaces (tested in my copy of your site).

The only ything You need to do is to make sure that 2 input fileds (image type for submit and the next one for hidden) are on the same line without spaces ont ends and nest opens  like <tag1><tag2>In your case on my copy the bottom white bar has disappered.Regards from Poland,

YatZeckP.S. If it work, let me know via "gwintol" at "tlen" dot "pl".

-reply by Jacek