xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Banana Recipes

Bananas are rich in B group vitamins, a good source of fibre, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. They also contain plenty of carbohydrates, the body?s main source of energy, and are easy to digest.

Over-ripe bananas are best used for cooking. That?s when their skin turns a duller yellow and becomes covered with brown spots. Such bananas, when mashed, work best for cakes and breads.

If your bananas turn brown (that?s riper than over-ripe), you can place them in the freezer and use them when you need them for baking.

Banana Cake

Ingredients:

130g butter

200g caster sugar

2 eggs

1 cup ripe mashed bananas (about two large bananas)

250g plain flour

1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

? teaspoon ground cinnamon

120ml buttermilk

120g chopped walnuts (optional)

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a 20cm baking tin and line with baking paper.

2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy.

3. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the mashed bananas (add a little flour if the mixture starts to curdle).

4. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together into a bowl, then fold in to the mixture along with the buttermilk and the walnuts if you are using them.

5. Turn the mixture into the baking pan and bake for around 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.

6. Turn out onto a rack and allow to cool.

7. Either dust the top with icing sugar or top with lemon icing.

Lemon Icing for Banana Cake

Ingredients:

1 cup icing sugar

2 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon butter

Boiling water

Instructions:

1. Put icing sugar, lemon juice and butter into a small bowl.

2. Add a tiny amount of boiling water ? just enough to soften the butter.

3. Mix ingredients till smooth and of even consistency for spreading.

4. Add a little more water if mixture is too thick and more icing sugar if too runny.

5. Spread evenly over top of cake.

Baked Bananas

Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 large bananas

4 tablespoon palm sugar, shaved

Cinnamon

Ice cream or cream to serve

Baking paper

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 200 degree Celsius.

2. Cut four 20cm lengths of baking paper ? one for each serving.

3. Cut the bananas in half lengthways and place each, cut side down, on the pieces of baking paper.

4. Sprinkle a tablespoon of palm sugar and a little cinnamon over each banana.

5. Fold the packets up to seal the banana inside. Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for around 10 minutes.

6. Serve with a scoop of ice cream and some toasted coconut.

I also love fried bananas, though the frying partially negates the health effects! If you heat up a little syrup of melted butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over the stove and lightly fry banana slices until they are golden brown, the results are quite delicious :lol:Sometimes I slice bananas lengthwise and put the halves on a Foreman grill until the surface of them is lightly carmalized. Then I sprinkle cinnamon on them. This is a slightly healthier way to eat them and is equally tasty. Unless you decide to put them on ice cream...

Ooh yes fried bananas! In Malay they call it Goreng Pisang. Very crispy and delicious, but extremely unhealthy too ^_^
Bananas really make delicious snacks with various combinations of ingredients!

I also love fried bananas, though the frying partially negates the health effects! If you heat up a little syrup of melted butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over the stove and lightly fry banana slices until they are golden brown, the results are quite delicious :lol:
Sometimes I slice bananas lengthwise and put the halves on a Foreman grill until the surface of them is lightly carmalized. Then I sprinkle cinnamon on them. This is a slightly healthier way to eat them and is equally tasty. Unless you decide to put them on ice cream...

Thanks for the recipes! My favourite breakfast food is toasted banana bread :)Fried bananas sounds awesome, might try it sometime, after a session at the gym perhaps to negate the guilt :)