xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Posterchild

4th Edition Dungeons And Dragons Believe it or not, RPGs are still about dice and paper.

Interesting that on the RPG board on the forum, the majority of posts are about computer games. Thats all good, the computer market is where its at these days, but believe it or not, the games that the computer RPGs are based on are still alive and well.Dungeons and Dragons recently entered a new era with the release of the Fourth Edition of the game. The reworked and revamped core rules sets, comprising the Dungeon Master's guide, Players Handbook and Monster Manual are now complimented by online resources which Wizards of the Coast are still developing as I write this. DnD Insider is the online resource that currently boasts two free access digital magazines (Dungeon magazine features more adventure based articles, while Dragon magazine is broader in scope, introducing beta versions of new game content, such as new character options, world elements, races and creatures), as well as a game Compendium, which allows anyone to search for specific powers, abilities and other data found in any of the core books. The Insider will soon release an online Character Visualizer, as well as an online Gaming Table, complete with map, miniatures, and dice, which will allow people to play the traditional game online, just as they would play it on the tabletop at home.As for the redesigned rules and themes of the new edition, I can say from my experience that the changes are great. I've been playing in and running games since the eighties, and the game as it is today is just as good as when I first started. The advantage of a tabletop RPG over an online multiplayer/computer game is that you are largely without restrictions in a tabletop game. Even the most free form online game is limited in what you can do or where you can go, the best example of this is interaction with other characters in the game that are not run by other people (Non Player Characters, or NPCs), the computer games can only be programmed to respond in a set way, and you just can't have an unlimited interaction with computer generated or programmed NPCs... in a tabletop RPG, the Dungeon Master is playing the role of all NPCs, so anything can happen.Another important aspect of Tabletop games is that you are actually interacting with real people, in a real environment.. it's hard to flame a guy who is sitting across the table from you, armed with dice.It is a social activity, first and foremost.No matter what sort of voice chat you have, an online MMORPG is less socially interactive than a traditional RPG.But this is not a criticism, it is just a comparison.4th Edition features more dynamic play, less oriented around acquiring magical items, more focused on cinematic and fantastical play. Characters can now adventure up to 30th level, they are armed with different powers which they can use a set amount of times per day or per encounter, as well as 'at will' powers that they can use all the time. The roles within the character adventuring group are more defined, so you can play a cleric or warlord (both leader roles), a fighter or palladin (defenders), warlocks, rogues or rangers (strikers) and the wizard (controller).. races are the Human, Halfling, Elf, Eladrin, Tiefling Dwarf, Half Elf and Dragonborn.Every class is equiped with special abilities, powers and class specific feat options.. you don't have to worry about lists of spells any more, or memorize the entire combat system just to be a fighter.. game play is smoother, faster, and more intuitive.If you used to play Dungeons and Dragons, I suggest you check out the Wizards of the Coast web site and take a look at the new game system.Meanwhile, for those of you who do play, what do you think of the new game?

Very true on your topic. Though i am still trying to get the 4th edition at local game shop but still not available. Also, Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k is still occupying me. Worse still, Warhammer Online is my new addition.The 4th edition as claim by testers, its new system is now inspired by the system of MMORPG. Dynamic and less complicating now. I did manage to get a glimpse of a couple of pages on the character introductions and statistic, i would have to say, its a new wave of pen and paper D&D :). Also, it is predicted that 4th edition will bring in new players and old players too since it have "simplified" many things in it :)

Yes I think it will draw in more people as well. The regular playing group I am a part of has a good mix of different player stereotypes.. we have our good natured rules lawyers, or combat junkies, our real role players and our lurker types.. of them all, our combat junkie (with a bit of munchkin) was the least enthusiastic about the new edition and was not interested in playing.. until he tried it, and about fifteen minutes into character creation, he was exclaiming the new 4th ed mantra "Oh they finally fixed it!"... followed almost inevitably by "You can move and charge now? Oh yeah baby!"... I think he was sold on that point alone.I converted my existing campaign to 4th ed as soon as I got the books (and if your local store is not stocking them yet, remember, there is always Amazon), but had not had a chance to participate as a player until last week, and I must say, I am enjoying it a lot.Talking of borrowing elements from online multiplayers to build the new D&D, it is fun to play up on this while we sit around the table.. because we all play MMORPGs and enjoy them, so it doesn't bother us that D&D is following design themes and play mechanics that are proven and effective, tested out by millions of World of Warcraft, Diablo and Starcraft players... lets face it, Wizards of the Coast has some big creative firepower in it's arsenal. Sure, they are a profit generating machine and there is going to be a near endless stream of source books being churned out.. but I'm a mid thirties male with a steady paycheck and no mouths to feed.. buying hobby stuff is what I do.. I look at my library of 3.5 books and only shrug wistfully.. I know I am only going to be referencing them for 4th edition inspiration from now on... I better buy another book shelf.

Since 4e came out my desire to play anything 3.x (including Pathfinder) has waned more and more.Some time soon I might even pack the majority of my 3.x stuff to make room for the GREAT 4e books.They offer just enough for a creative DM to get inspired but don't smother him in useless details

I'm still wating for a oportunity to test the new system, I'm a dungeon master of the 3.5 edition, and get good and bad information of the 4th edition, because the need of the internet and computer in some rules. But I'm still waiting to tes the system.

I have never played D&D, >.> Well the site im on basically takes a piece of the system as their battle system so maybe I have in some sense. But I always been interested to learn but don't have the time. There must be an easy way for me to learn without having to read tons of information at a time.

D&D 4E 4th Edition Dungeons And Dragons

I had read of some pnp 3.0 and 3.5 but only experiences with DMs that were jerks to say the least. That kind of spoiled it for me as it did many.Come out with M:tG [essentially d&d with cards] and I was interested, add pc games that had pc as dm and we no longer had those jerks. It wasn't perfect but 4th edition came and yes they changed a few things. Among them was a brief mention in the dmg of automating the dm job [that's right d&d without a dm!].The dmg also mentioned other possibilities such as alternating dm or even splitting up duties of DM. This increases people participating. 

gone were many spells I had played with, many were altered. Although combat is streamlined non combat is available in skill checks. It makes the actions less ambiguous. It happens this way because of these numbers. 

I'd love to see the virtual table top, dungeon maker, but don't need a visualizer. I can make do with pc generated 'minis' it could run just like a table top with my friends albeit over the internet with friends in far reaches.  just MHO

-reply by Stanley Rexwinkle

I feel a bit old-fashioned here. Our RPG-group still plays with AD&D 2nd Edition rules. Hope to convince our DM to convert to 4th Edition rules sometime soon. I play-tested some simple combat using the demo-adventure in the DM Guide 1 and I liked it. The role-playing aspect is pretty much untouched it seems, and I find the 2nd Ed. combat tedious and limited...