xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jesseruu

Mobile Phone Operating Systems? Is it possible to modify the firmware of your mobile phone?

Hmm, I haven't tried this myself yet, but I have an HTC Apache (which is the same as the Sprint PPC 6700) and I have heard that the default Windows Mobile 5 operating system can be replaced with a version of Linux. I have upgraded the firmware ROM on my smartphone once already, upgrading to AKU2.2, and it wasn't that difficult. It is advisable to back up your existing ROM information first before you try performing an upgrade, and as always, make sure that the upgrade procedure is not interrupted. I'm planning to get the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade at some time, which will probably be my next ROM upgrade on my smartphone.

Edited by travstatesmen (see edit history)

to change OS or firmware of a phone depends upon the mobileFor ex..Nokia s60 can be updated if u have nokia pc suite and relevant upgrade software which can be downloadedApple can be upgraded at apple storesHtc mobiles can be upgraded at htc stores.. they charge u for that...

Upgrading is a different thing. I guess you can install linux on some mobiles and ipods. Or you can change software of sony ericsson mobiles like k800 to w850(if both have the same screen reso) but its too risky. Your mobile can turn into a brick, you need professional help for that.

Changing firmwire is a risk, on any device!Like while uploading it, then the electric is down, or run out of battery, then your device can't be run anymorethis is what I have read from. I have intended in changing my sony ericson k750i firmwire since it is already out of warranty (been many years), hopes that it can work better with new OS, but I just choose not to do it since knowing that it will break when not properly handledAlso Ipod, I heard some people out there has software that crack ipod, but the risk is the device will breakIssues like not matching firmwire, different version, or the software does not compatible with your device, can cause the problem arise upon uploading

Only do it if you know what you are doing. Changing firmware isnt risky to be honest if you backup the original one. In case of any errors, just upload the backup one and it is ready to go.I will like the risk factor for each phone as i have tried many phone modification and not to be boastful, very well verse on it.Most risky one is Samsung. As it set all system files as read only and if you do a force rewrite, it will corrupt the files.The most friendly one is Nokia and Motorola as the firmware itself can be accessed, written and rewritten. As long as you back up according and sync it to your computer, nothing will happen.Depends on your knowledge in phone "reformatting", Sony Ericsson is neutral and depends on the user skills. If the phone is spoiled due to corrupted firmware, you have to send to the service center for a major "reformatting".Currently i am still having my soon to dispose Motorola E398 that has been hacked and firmware upgraded. My next aim is on the new generation of SonyEriccson phone which i might "reformat" and to install Symbian OS into it.

Only do it if you know what you are doing. Changing firmware isnt risky to be honest if you backup the original one. In case of any errors, just upload the backup one and it is ready to go.
I will like the risk factor for each phone as i have tried many phone modification and not to be boastful, very well verse on it.

Most risky one is Samsung. As it set all system files as read only and if you do a force rewrite, it will corrupt the files.

The most friendly one is Nokia and Motorola as the firmware itself can be accessed, written and rewritten. As long as you back up according and sync it to your computer, nothing will happen.

Depends on your knowledge in phone "reformatting", Sony Ericsson is neutral and depends on the user skills. If the phone is spoiled due to corrupted firmware, you have to send to the service center for a major "reformatting".

Currently i am still having my soon to dispose Motorola E398 that has been hacked and firmware upgraded. My next aim is on the new generation of SonyEriccson phone which i might "reformat" and to install Symbian OS into it.

wow you have great knowledge in phone upgrading
I have sony ericson k750i, and the firmwire is the original one, do you know how to upgrade it, any tools? because hacking tool is prevented in forum any idea can help me? via pm is okay.

Which Mobile you are using? If it is Nokia, and within warranty period you can goto localNokia service center, they will upgrade it for free. If the warranty expired they will charge yousome money. If you want to install it yourself, Its not that much easy. Not all phones supportit. Some latest mobiles support installing firmware through PC Suite. You can get that informationon Nokia website. Installing firmware in those mobiles is easy and less risky. For other modelsits somewhat risky and you'll need to buy some tools. And last my small suggestion, If you aren't sure what you are doing, stop doing it.

It depends on the phone model you use. Normal medium-end phones provide firmware updates which can be updated using their PC suite applications like Nokia PC suite for Nokia, ActiveSync for Windows Mobile phones.But very few high end PDA phones have the option of installing your own OS. There are also some distributions of embedded linux specially for Mobile phones like HP iPaq and HTC touch mobile phones.

I'm not too sure if they can be changed, but if it can, it could be risky because what if your phone doesn't support the operating system you want? Or why not try getting a new phone with that operating system installed on it.

to change OS or firmware of a phone depends upon the mobile
For ex..
Nokia s60 can be updated if u have nokia pc suite and relevant upgrade software which can be downloaded
Apple can be upgraded at apple stores
Htc mobiles can be upgraded at htc stores.. they charge u for that...

I called HTC tech line and they said they don't support changing OS system from windows to Android. Do you know how else I can change my HTC HD2 6.5 wondows to Android 2.2???

my friend has changed it's htc from single boot to dual boot meaning that he has both winmo and android. the android image which is available for hd2 has many bugs, some of them are really annoying so changing the entire os is not recommended. you can change to dual boot which is safer and you can switch between android and winmo. i don't know how exactly this can be done but you can search the xda-developers website for more instructions. anyway i don't think there will be any update for hd2 including changing the os. i should say that the latest available android image needs very much of works to do before it can be completely like the android on htc desire.

Hi!In many smart phones, the manufacturer provides a means of upgrading the operating system. Apple provides new features in its phone operating system, the iOS, which is probably a way for the folks from Apple to come up with an operating system that just runs the phone at first, and to add on the features if the phone is a success. Besides, it also provides a means of obtaining funding for the software development activity. The upgrade of the operating system is typically performed using the iTunes software. It informs you about an update that is available, you have the option to download it and install it by simply hooking your phone up to your computer through USB.HTC phones typically ran some version of Microsoft Windows Mobile and it was possible to upgrade the version of the operating system. There were some attempts at getting Linux onto the HTC devices, but such attempts were experimental, at best, and did not take advantage of all of the capabilities of the phones.Whenever you do upgrade your operating system, all of the software programs that you have installed and the data you have stored on the phone are typically wiped out, unless you have them stored on a memory card or similar storage device.If you do have a jail-broken phone, an operating system upgrade of the phone typically restores the carrier lock and you have to go through the jail-breaking process all over again. There are some shady phone-selling stores that typically do the phone operating system upgrade for you while providing the jail-breaking/carrier-unlocking.

I have unlocked at&t f160 mobile which i was unable to update the software. And have many problems with this software. Is there any chance for me to change this operating system to Android. If so how can i change it. Plzzzz help me.......