xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adriantc

Open Air Fitness Or Training In The Gym? Which one is better?

Recently I began jogging in the park just as one of my friends started going to the gym in order to get larger arm muscles. For some reason he believes it is the only sure path to... Girls :-D. He may be right :-) , although I couldn't get him to test the theory ... In that field we both lack some much needed experience :-P ... but thats not why i decide to open this topic.Now we began argueing about which activity is better. It all began once he jogged with me. I noticed that he has absolutly no stamina whatsoever. I know his exercises at the gym aren't designed for stamina, but I didn't expect it to make no difference, at best. So he keeps telling me his arms muscles grew x centimeters and I reply that it is of little use since he looses all that energy in a matter of seconds. His muscles are only for display rather than much use. I also tell him it better to breath fresh air (or at least as fresh as city air could be) then the closed air at the gym.So rather them going on and on with our arguing I decided to ask somebody with more experience which activity is better? Don't forget to mention why you think so...Thank you!

It seems one of you guys are into fitness only for appearances :)Personally, though, I don't think any of the two is better. Your friend is building up body mass and, in the process, gains larger arm muscles. Yes, girls (and some guys) find it hawt but that's not all to it. Your friend will be able to lift heavy weights for a limited amount of time. His arms can generate a higher force for a few instants. In close combat, this will allow one to deal injury or, in a pacifist manner, disable or subdue the attacker. These are, to me, advantages to be considered.On the other hand, you have trained endurance (or stamina) If your friend scores girls with his looks, you, on the other hand, will be able to last longer, if you know what I mean :D It's probably not something that people will talk about openly, though :( You won't be lifting objects as heavy as your friend can, however, you can perform the same task more times before tiring. You may not have much by way of close combat, however, you will be able to maintain running away from danger.In my opinion, though, I never cared much for upper body strength and, instead, focus on endurance and flexibility. It is my belief that any sufficiently agile person can easily beat a strong fighter, not that I'd like to test it out :( The only downside is that endurance or stamina is not something that is easily visible. If, or when, you do get a girl (or a partner, whichever) you can, at least, rest assured it's not solely based on how big your biceps are :)

Basically you're asking whether cardio activity or strength training is better. It's like saying which is better, fat or carbs. Neither one is better; they're both different, and you need both. Cardio will give you the endurance you described, keeping your heart in shape and burning excess calories which will keep you nice and lean. Strength training, on the other hand, will build muscle and raise your metabolism, allowing you to burn more calories while at rest and making you stronger. If you do both, you'll get the benefits of both. So that would be the ultimate way to triumph over your friend :)

Dear friend I will prefer Open air fitness to gym as if you go for it that is gym then you should be regular to it. Other wise it will give you with body pains etc in the older age when it is difficult for you to continue the same. But on the other hand jogging and walking etc can be easily be continued to the older age also.?

It really depends on the type of training you're going for and what you want to achieve. It sounds like your friend has been doing weights and only weights at the gym to make his muscles grow 'X cm' and so on whereas you've been doing good Cardio workouts in the park.It is possible to get good endurance by going to the gym but obviously that would involve either treadmills or bikes to get a Cardio workout.Personally I much prefer jogging outdoors. Jogging continuously (basically in one spot) at the gym on a treadmill is soo mundane and boring whereas exercise outdoors gives you fresh air 'scenery' in a sense.Although in the Gym there is sort of a 'guilt' factor for me. I feel compelled to continue just because everyone else around me is working out so hard whereas in the park when I feel tired, I would just stop.In terms of which is better for fitness, weights and muscle building exercises are good for only that (big muscles and strength), whereas Cardio workouts have a better effect on your whole body making you fitter and leaner and more toned.I would go for the Cardio workout (jogging outdoors or swimming) rather than Gym weights workouts :)

Edited by y4nzi (see edit history)

Being outside, in the fresh air and sunshine is ALWAYS better and more healthy than being inside. The body requires sunshine to make vitamin D, a very important vitamin for general health and well being, and while it can be suplemented, there's nothing like the real thing if you have it available. As far as the workouts, you are both working on 2 completely different things. But you could always carry some weights in your hands while you jog, to work on your strength training too, and still be outside getting the benefits of the sun and air.

Walking is by far the most popular form of exercise. That's lucky, because it's also one of the healthiest, especially as you get older. And where better to do it than in one of our many green spaces? Walking on grass or earth, with its natural variations, gives your legs more of a workout than pavements. And you're also subtly challenging your balance, which tends to deteriorate with age.Walking keeps your brain in shape, too. Researchers have found that a gentle stroll was enough to improve volunteers' scores in tests, as well as reducing their blood pressure. But the benefits were greater if the route went through greenery. In fact, parks are a life-saver for urban dwellers: the nearer you live to one, the longer you are likely to live.Unless you're very old or unfit, though, the real health benefits come from working up a sweat. Just walk at different speeds, including a brisk stride for a few minutes at a time, and don't take detours to miss the hilly bits.

open air vs a gym, well that would really have to depend on where you live, wouldnt it? I mean if you lived in say NYC with all the traffic and smog you really couldnt do anything outside. so there I would have to go to the Gym. But if you lived say in the country with clean fresh air, then I would say outside. it's a toss up really. both are good for you. You can do more in a Gym than say outdoors though, so over all I would have to go there.

I do my workout at home mostly due to limited time to go to gym.You see, open air workout and gym workout have its benefits and disadvantages. Being in a gym, you have access to all equipments which you couldnt afford or have limited place in your house / apartment. Partly in gym, its all about social. The advantages is that you are required to schedule your gym visit and the monthly fees isnt cheap.Open air workout, well, its about flexibility and doing your workout at your own pace. Air pollution isnt the issue and going out for sunshine isnt the right thing about open air workout. The ozone layer is broken now and the UV from the sun will only give you more skin problems than Vitamin D. Its conservative too if you are tight in budget, you can just invest in some dumbbells and a bench and you can start doing those alternative workouts the need not require gym class equipments.Still, that is personal preference when it comes to where to workout. IMHO, i prefer open air since i already have a set of dumbbells and why require more equipments if you just do more reps of your each workout.I will leave the build muscle for girls since i am 200% disagree on those.

I suggest open-air definitely, going to the gym is for lammies and it's not as healthy as running or doing gymnastic at the open air. That way you can get swate naturally and you'll bread some fresh air. I suggest to run a few hundred meters every morning and doing some push-ups in the evenings. That way you will get strong legs, arms and body. Also, search for some exercises at the Internet, and do them while it's fresh outside(I suggest some secret place where not everybody can see you). One hour a day and you'll stay active and healthy. Also, take some vitamins. That way, if you are a teenager you will grow properly, and if you are older it'll keep you fresh and with energy.

THE FOLLOWING IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR LONG DISTANCE RUNNERS IE. CROSS COUNTRY OR MARATHONYour looking for a training to boost your health, which you then hope will increase your looks?I am a sprinter and I train about 3times a week. I have been complemented on my body many times. My training outdoors is far more progressive then both your trainings.Cardio (running for long lenghts of time) will increase your stamina. This is a good form of exercise but too much of it can harm your body.Gym (weights) more then twice a week will seriously harm your body.I recommend you change your eating habits first which I will brief you on and then try my workout.Firsty, it depends on what time of the day you are training. You should eat about, one and half, to, two hours, before your training (if your training in the morning have brown bread toast with honey and a banana 20 minutes before you start). This gives your body the time to process the food and produce the energy your going to use in your training. Carbs are a must here.Now your training prep. Most important thing is your warm up. Start with a jog. No more then a half mile. Then you need stretches which are most important to get that blood flowing to all parts of your body. If you need help with proper stretching, let me know and Ill post them.Your starting to use your muscles now so keep your body hydrated with water or better still energy drinks. I recommend poweraid type drinks.Main Training. Mark out Ten meters with two cones (or jumpers). This is the only space you will need for this training so you can do in in your back garden. I recommend on grass as it is easier on your joints.From cone one to two, on each drill, you are using 90% effort. 100% is ONLY used in competition, 90% helps prevent injury.After each drill (from cone one to cone two) walk back to the start. Do each drill at least two times, when you get fitter, do it three times.In between each numberd drill take 60 seconds rest.1) While walking - Raise up on your left toe, lifting your right knee to your stomach, hold for split second stretching your akilies. Lower your right leg to the ground and raise on its toe, taking your left knee to your stomach. Remember to use your arms ie. When your left leg is up, so is your right arm, when your right leg is down so is your left arm, and vise versa.2) While bouncing - Up the tempo with drill 1. Except more speed in lifting your legs and arms. Not to fast, this will be drill 3. Remember to keep good balance and concentrate on your posture. Back should be straight (Bumb sticking up not out).3) With speed - Same a previous drills but much more power in arms and legs. You should still be moving small amounts for each step taken. About one foot per step.4) Copying the same drills as above (walking, bouncing, then speed) do the exact same as above but sideways. So your going to your left side first, and then the next time to the right. Its important to keep you head straight to prevent neck injury.The following are good for stomach muscles and leg muscles.5) Facing backwards - Stand with straight posture, raise knee to your stomach then while keeping leg bent bring heal to your butt and raise leg up with a stretch backwards to take a step. Leading into the opposite foot coming up to your knee starting the next cycle.6) With bouncing - The exact same as above but quicker making sure your getting a good leg stretch and coming off your toe (not your heal, that will hurt). Dont forget those arms in relation to your feet.7) Now with speed.When you have done this take 3minutes rest. Get fluids into you, remember your muscles need them.Your going to do some fast running now. So mark out 250 meters.Do this three times.First time go with speed of 70%, second go 80%, and third, 90%.Note: The drills you did above were for a reason, Use them in these sprints.When you run power off your toes. Stretch your leg back for longer strides, pull your knee to your stomach, and finaly back down to your toes.Water is needed between each sprint.Cooldown.Take 3minutes to get fluids and do a VERY relaxed warm down (swing your arms, rotate yor hips, then swing your legs back and forth)Complete your session with a very slow half mile jog, taking baby steps. AND YOUR DONE!!!I know this is kind of intence but when you do it for a few weeks you will see wonders. It is great for anykind of fitnessMOST IMPORTANT PART:Now you must eat. Your muscles have been working hard so you need to vitilise them. If this training was done in the morning then soup, brown bread and even a coffee would be suitable afterwards. If done in the evening you should have your normall tea eating unttill your full, not busting.I recommend to all people that tinned and frozen foods are the worst for your body. Home cooking has ten times more benifits for your body and health. Also make sure you get your 8hours sleep as your muscles now need rest.So do I as it took so long to write all this!!!Happy training :D