xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Java Script To Hide The Url In Address Bar Does any one know about this ?

Hello friends , just now i came accross a particular type of script which is capable of masking the URL which is seen in the Address bar of the webpage , that is by implementing the particular Java Script when the user visits a page eg. http://www.mysite.com/ , then it is possible for the admin of http://www.mysite.com/ to mask this site and display some other website in the viewers address bar. I came to know that such a script can be written using Java Scripts , Can any one get me the Script ??

This is not possible because this can cause a huge security risk for users of your website. Someone could easily set up a phishing website for paypal, and modify the url to say paypal.com instead of whatever false url they were using before. Why would you even ask for such a thing to be possible? If any browser were to adopt this ability all users of that browser would be at risk.

Yeah Ive heard about some scripts but those scripts are malicious. they get your info .... from the one who wants tofake a website and get info from others by themselves.Anyhow it would be weard if todays browers would run those scripts I think, then allllll people would fraud anyone and so on.

I gave this some thought, when i was on a free host with a stupidly long free sub-domain. I didnt want to hide the address, just whatever followed ".co.uk" There is no script for this, but, if you jut want to shorten your web address, then make a frameset, whith one two frames where one takes up 100%, the other takes up 0% (i presume you could do make a frameset with one frame, but i have never tried!) Put your websites rename you sites index file, then save the frameset file, as the index file, with the old index file, as the page in the large frame. And as long as there are no links on your site targetted to _top, your URL bar will always show the URL of the frameset file.

Keep in mind when doing something like that that it isn't user friendly.If a user bookmarks a page, they will be lead to the home page when they try and visit the bookmark.Something you do instead is to use something like tinyurl (or tinyurl itself) and have thisisaverylongwebsitenamethatnoonecanremember.com turned into shortis.notlong.com. While the URL will still show thisisavery[...].com, users will be more likely to remember the url.If you're suggesting that you wanted to change a thisisavery[...].com into something shorter merely for the user's viewing pleasure, I'm not sure if that'd work well :lol:

It is not quite for this topic but I had used a "Hyperwords (5.0)" extension written to Firefox and until having disabled it my address bar completely disappeared - so prompt your users/clients to use Hyperwords with Firefox :lol:

Edited by knowlet (see edit history)

@NirmalDaniel - Even if it is possible to show a different address in the address bar, if the user clicks on go or hits enter in the Address bar, he will be taken to that address, which will not benifit you. And also if the user bookmarks the page he'll be visiting the other address you give, which is not your's and you'll again lose.Get yourself a domain name :lol:

[ Try at your own Risk ]

here are some codes to try out. Just put in adress bar and click enter...

javascript:are=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.Images; DIL=DI.Length; function A(){for(I=0; I-DIL; I++){DIS=DI[ I ].Style; DIS.Position='absolute'; DIS.Left=Math.Sin(are*x1+I*x2+x3)*x4+x5; DIS.Top=Math.Cos(are*y1+I*y2+y3)*y4+y5}are++}setInterval('A()',5); void(0);

javascript:are=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.Images; DIL=DI.Length; function A(){for(I=0; I-DIL; I++){DIS=DI[ I ].Style; DIS.Position='absolute'; DIS.Left=Math.Cos(are*x1+I*x1+x2)*x4+x5; DIS.Top=Math.Cos(are*y1+I*y2+y3)*y4+y5}are++}setInterval('A()',5); void(0);

javascript:document.Body.ContentEditable='true';document.DesignMode='on';void0

javascript:alert("this computer will self destruct in 5.."); alert("4.."); alert("3.."); alert("2.."); alert("1.."); alert("boom! hahahaha have fun =P");

window.Open ('Userdetails.Aspx','Login','top=0,left=0,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,menubar=?no,location=yes,fullscreen=true, scrollbars=yes, location=no');

Yogesh Dige : )

just answer the question

Java Script To Hide The Url In Address Barwell, anyway, I tried to do this with a frameset with 2 frames and IT WORKS !  One frame with size zero and no source (src=''), and the other one with size=* and source pointing to your real URL. �I use to point 3 customer support system URL's to a single url.

Thanks a lot !!

-reply by Mario Restrepo

This is not possible because this can cause a huge security risk for users of your website. Someone could easily set up a phishing website for paypal, and modify the url to say paypal.com instead of whatever false url they were using before. Why would you even ask for such a thing to be possible? If any browser were to adopt this ability all users of that browser would be at risk.

sorry newb. i had a situation where this would be helpful and not in a malicious way. i have a client with a wordpress site that wants to have a url http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
offer go to a page i created with asp. so i got the redirect to go to my page which i simply located in a subdirectory of an existing site. therein the problem, the address window gives them the url, and its not the clients preferred one, it is obviously coming from somewhere else. so i have my tech guy creating another website on my server. what a pain. it would have been much easier to be able to mask the url. just sayin