xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Myths And Facts About Acne

Here are some common perceptions about acne that I've heard. Some are true to a certain extent but some are completely false.Myth: Blotting frequently aggravates acne and encourages oil production in skin.Fact: Whether you blot away your oil or not, the body still produces oil in the skin at a regular rate, unless affected by other factors like hormone production or the environment. Therefore, it's all right (and more aesthetically pleasing) to blot.Myth: Facials target acne and remove acne scars.Fact: For mild acne, regular salon treatments does help to control sebum production, heal existing acne scars and minimise pores. Some more in-depth treatments like microdermabrasion and mild chemical peels help to unclog pores. But depressed scars are harder to improve and only strong lasers by doctors from skin clinics can help to solve the problem. Blackheads and whiteheads should be removed via extraction. Moderate to severe acne, especially involving inflamed pimples that contain pus, should be treated by doctors, where medication may be provided. Myth: Pimples, blackheads and whiteheads can be extracted.Fact: Do not ever extract pimples. The pressure applied on your skin may extend the inflammation to other areas of the skin, resulting in even more pimples and redness. You can extract blackheads and whiteheads with an extractor meant for the purpose, but do ensure that the extractor is places at an angle 90 degrees to the surface of the skin.Myth: Washing my face more often helps to get rid of acne.Fact: It depends on the facial foam you use. For example, if you have many whiteheads and blackheads, choose something containing AHA (alpha hydroxy acid). If you have inflamed acne, pimples and bumpy skin, use a cleanser that kills bacteria. Also, you do not have to wash your face more than twice a day. Over-washing may even worsen acne.Myth: Tanning helps eliminate acne.Fact: Tanning only helps to even out skin colouration, thus masking your acne. It does not get rid of acne. After a tan, skin may become dry and irrirated, prompting a breakout. If you are exposed to the sun often, do use a sunscreen with spf of at least 15, and which does not clog up pores.Myth: Eating 'heaty' foods like chocolate and peanuts cause acne outbreak.Fact: There is no medical proof for this. Personally, this doesn't affect me, but I've seen some friends get breakouts after eating heaty foods. So test yourself. If you have a high tendency of getting acne outbreak after eating such foods, cut down on the intake, or at least drink more water to reduce the heatiness.Myth: Stress causes acneFact: Yes it does, because stress leads to the release of increased levels of hormones that form the adrenal glands, which subsequently stimulate the oil glands, causing the formation of pimples.Myth: I can't wear make-up if I have acneFact: Actually you can, but use make-up that does not clog up your pores, and practise good hygiene. Thoroughly remove your make-up immediately when you are no longer in need of it. And don't wear make-up for long periods of time.Myth: Large pores means greater likelihood of acne. Fact: Larger pores generally imply that the person is more susceptible to oily skin conditions, and is thus more likely to have acne outbreaks. Myth: Sex or masturbation causes acne?Fact: There is no scientific evidence for this.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

The best way to treat acne is by a good Low Gi diet and lots of waterKJ

Yes, that's very likely (although I haven't tried it myself). Mouthwash contains a phenol-based antiseptic; that would kill germs that cause acne. It might cause a temporary irritation on your skin, making it redder and smart for a while, but this will pass. It wouldn't do much harm if used externally.This phenol-based antiseptic, incidentally, is very similar to that in Lysol/Dettol (common disinfectants for the floors in hospitals or bathrooms). And that is why I don't use mouthwash!