xisto Community
FreedomOverdose

How Do Violent Video Games Affect Children?

Do you think violent video games affect our children's actions and personality?

Personal Statement:

Pro:

▪ Alternation for our children to escape from the boring everyday life.

▪ FUN and boost children interest in computers.

▪ Communication with people from other countries.

Contra:

▪ Children could learn how to do atrocity and could think that this is normal and harmless like its displayed in several violent games.

▪ Boosting the increase of violent cogitations.

▪ Waste of money (?)

▪ Possible alienation and addiction to computer games.

I personally think that children should be allowed to play such games as long as they dont sympathize with the thought of preparing or doing a violent action. If a child attracts attention of other people by talking publically about afflicting other people, the child should be watched closely and a counseling session should be considered. A lot of people say such games arent good as they contain so much blood. Listen up... I personally played many shooters like Counter Strike Source for hours and didnt even notice that blood was turned on. If you play the shooter and enjoy it you dont even notice the blood, thats a negligibility. I dont think children become violent because of computer-games. Everyday we see movies containing a lot of violence, they are all over the channels. Who cares? Nobody, indeed. Children watch them, even comics contain violence. What did happen? Nothing, did somebody ever accuse the TV? No, i cant remember off that. But for sure the evil game development companies are responsible. Pfft...

Please take time to write your statement and explain why you are thinking that way.

Great topic!My opinion as a parent, and an avid FPS, "blood and guts or no glory" gamer is this.The reality of it is that games that are violent in nature DO adversly affect children!BUT, they are far from alone and are followers not the leaders in doing so.Movies, television, even cartoons and so-called kiddie-shows are as much if not more to blame than video games.All these things combined have a hand in desensitizing children to blood and violence in any capacity.And this is not new. Since the 50s or maybe even before, movies and such have gotten increasingly bloody and shown more etc than before.Young people these days aren't as turned-off by the sight of blood as my parents were in their day, but the blame is on society, NOT video games!Are kids that play CS going to become terrorists and blow up NY?No.Are they going to play resident evil, then go out zombie hunting?No.But they may not be as bothered by the sight of blood on the street, dead body, or an injured man that they encounter in their life.Leave my video games alone, and dont blame them for what society started long before they were even developed.They aren't going to cause kids to run amuck with hatchets and silenced-deer rifles anymore than anything else will in general!Thats just my 2 cents!Thanks to FreedomOverdose for this topic!!

Hey Freedom:Me and my brothers have grown up from Atari game console-Commodore 64-PC. I first started playing Wolfesnstein #D original then Doom, Duke Nukem (come get some), Rise of the Triad, quake, cs, americas army etc etc etc. We have seen our fair share of games. We also both have kids and they play games. Whilst I would agree that some games are too graphic for smaller children most games are just for fun. If a child is given a balanced view and life they will treat it as FUN.Now my brother and I play games WITH our kids...we enjoy the carnage together! So it can be something which brings families together! Seriously if you leave a kid alone for hours and don't give it a balanced view of the world there could be a problem. If you did the same with Ballet or Chess Playing there could be similar problems.I think the argument is that children will repeat what they see and do. Well me and my best buddy used to get our (toy)rifles and hide in the grass and when the train went by shoot at it. I have not grown up and 'help up' any trains...yet....I think he's an architech and I'm in I.T. so I don't think the hours of holding up trains affected us negatively. We did play cricket at the oval, go swimming and bike riding and make up games as well. I think that is the key-balance.I will admit I can get aggressive when I get shot for the 1600th time playing my favourite shooter but I usually take it out on my desk or kick the computer case. No one is perfect! hehe "Time to kick *bottom* and chew bubble gum.....and I'm all outta gum" KJ

One of the great debates started because of Mortal Kombat or at least this is the game that really got it going, as for the question though yes and now and I tell you why.Yes they do affect children especially if they play them at an early age without adults telling them what is real and what is fantasy, just google search:video games blame for violent attacks and you will see quite a few links. I have seen stories of children accidentally killing friends and relatives because of what they saw on a video, TV or movie. So in some cases video games are to blame in some of the violence related stories that involve games like GTA.No they don't affect children because if a responsible adult tells their children about the difference between reality and fantasy and chopping someone's head off will not get you $500. Of course it is also a parents responsibility to properly exposes children to stuff like this, and the fact that they shouldn't be watching all this violent stuff. However, I also blame the gaming industry, media for forcing all this violence and what not, but of course when your making hundreds of millions of dollars it doesn't cross their mind. Sure the rating system and not allowing kids under 18 to buy violent games was the best thing responsible adults have done, it all falls on morally telling your children about this and making them understand that setting someone on fire for new weapons is not ok.Heck I have played some of the most violent games that have come out, unfortunately for me I never got toss that lesson, but luckily for me I knew that ripping out someone's heart was wrong and on top of that games are the best thing to let out that aggressive without the need to physically beat the crap out of someone.

After reading this article I have to say that, yes, video games do have MINOR side affects on people who play games. I have been playing games since the age of about 4. And I'm not a violent person. I have the entire Mortal Kombat series for a majority of the platform game systems. And I beleive that the games you picked for your studies were bad choices. Capcom vs. SNK is not a violent game. There is no animated blood nor is there any gore in the game. Also the comment you made about GTA 3 was wrong as well. The object of the game is not to kill as many people as possible. The object of the game is to do what you're told and you might have to kill a few people. Also the game is rated M for a reason. If parents buy their children these games then they should not be allowed to file lawsuits against the developers of these games.Yes, video games desensitize people, but so do movies and television shows. Blaming children being violent on games and such isn't right. Parents who are too busy living their own lives to pay attention to their kids are to blame more than games, because that's all they are?games. Soon, someone will say that playing cowboys and Indians, or playing with toy soldiers, is bad for young children.

I don't think movies and video games desensitize people. Yes, they are seeing blood. Yes, they are killing people in games. But it all comes down to this question: do they know that they're not in real life? I've played tons of bloody games, and seen countless movies with death and destruction. I watch it knowing that this is just a movie, it's not real.When I saw a pool of blood for the first time in real life, it was completely different from a being immersed in a made up world. I remember thinking, "Wow. So this is what blood looks like". Violence in games and movies are not the same as violence in real life. It's much more real(for lack of a better word) in real life.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised that video games have an effect on some of the things that people do, but I don't think that it's the gun games that are the problem.The problem is that there are games that involve driving fast or aggressively, coupled with the relative ease of getting access to a vehicle. My personal opinion is that children (anyone under 18) shouldn't be driving, though, since traffic statistics suggest that people who start driving later in life aren't any more dangerous despite less practice than the drivers who started as teenagers.

Edited by Pimento Berry Oil (see edit history)

Ummm, first of all I'm almost 16 years old - I am not a gamer (I hate FPS video games) I only play some games like Wesnoth and some flash games on the internet, but I have friends which are gamers and are really into this gaming thing.

Yes, I do think violent games have at least small impact on every kid that plays that game and I believe that in 99% of the cases they won't imitate the things they see/play on them, but (there always is a but(t)) gaming also makes kids more interested in computers, more communicative with other gamers from around the world (as you said) and it strengthens up the reflexes (at least in my opinion).

I want to talk about the problems in my country (R. of Macedonia) with them. Piracy is very VEERY wide in it and kids can get all the latest games in prices as low as 100 denars (1.80 euros) or if they have the chance/internet - grab it from the web and pirate it.

The parents are really terribly educated about software - "have you said I should buy a program?" - and they can't afford to buy the original games to their kids or control their PCs with technical methods (locking up the internet etc etc) they do that only with physical ones eg locking up the rooms, not letting them in etc... 'cause kids are really smarter than their parents over here. So, my point was, everyone can grab Warcraft, CS and others and play online thus losing valuable time which they could replace by more valuable means - reading books, studying, hanging out, or if they are really that attached to their PCs (like me :) ) they should learn programming languages, study foreign languages, read news, install new programs to expand their knowledge, install other OSs so they won't be computer-stupid for other more savvy users (like I am) and so on...

I never gamed FPSs, I hate them, and I don't believe that I will ever do that in the future.

violent video gamesHow Do Violent Video Games Affect Children?

personally I think kids should be aloud to play any game they want .

I play some video games it doesn't effect me at all  as long as you know whats real and whats not 

I really don't think a kid would start chain sawing people after playing gears of war 2

nick-

I am an extreme hardcore gamer, when I get the chance. [currently in my second last year of schooling] I'm the type of person that would wake up for the day jump on the computer and only get off to go eat some food [which I would bring back to the computer] or to go to the bathroom, and then play game, surf the internet, go back to the games and end up going to bed at 3 in the morning. I now know that is not a healthy lifestyle to live. The longest I can, or could do this for would be about 3-4 days. After that the lack of sleep will make you worry about random things, you may lose your appetite, forget small tasks. Very unhealthy. Now I know people that play the same games as me but they currently have dropped school, go to a part-time job for 2/7 days of the week, have a wealthy family, and they live a hardcore gamer's lifestyle. And the majority of these people have been doing this for 1-2 years now.On the other hand Violent video games vs. Violence in society/real-life. It's all rubbish that games turn people into violent people. Now there is no such proof of this aswell. What games do, apart from increasing sense of ability/improve ability of strategy/ the list goes on, is that they create a feeling of anger [in this case FPS gun games], although this anger is not linked to the doing of violent actions. It only consists of thoughts. Many People would argue that this then links to Fantasy turns into reality scenario. In that case the child has a behavioral problem, then the child needs medical assistance and long term help. My view is that children with mental disadvantages should be monitored with violent games because there is a risk there but with a normal healthy child nothing will change or happen.Also I believe that parents should monitor the ratings in the games that the children are playing. Recently I have seen younger children [9-11 yr olds] playing the popular Counter-Strike Source. They have a certain attitude you wouldn't see in that age. [although this has not been proven just my view.]I believe IT activities and social life need to be maintained, in my case it's goes both ways. Most of my friends use computers and have similar interests as me, we all know the limit of playing games too much and how to balance that with playing Beer Pong [without the beer] and playing cards or something that doesn't or won't involve IT or electronics if possible.

Maybe your wrongHow Do Violent Video Games Affect Children?

Hello friends listen up! Although you may not have been affected by the shooting in the video games of "your time" you have to understand that there's alot of crazy things going on in video games these days that I know I wouldn't want anyone in my family seeing. Have you ever played games like Grand Theft Auto or even simple ones like The Godfather? These games make you the "good guy" although you are killing prostitutes, friends, and at times even strangers! I guess thats why these types of games are restricted to people of a certain age.. OH WAIT!! I'm underaged in somehow I along with many of my friends have played these games! SOMETHINGS GOTTA CHANGE!!

As a 17 year old I have played war based games like call of duty witch is a great group of games. If you don't want your kids to play this games that is fine but if they want to talk to you about it I think that it would be fair. War games or just killing games will most liking not change your kids live or make them want to go buy a gun and kill people. I think that the right time to give your kids those games (if they want it) is about 12 or 13 or when you think that it is right to give it to them. A lot of people think that if you give a kid a game about killing people that they will go out and start killing people. No they wont.  All you have to do is truth your kids with every kid it is different. I have played modern warfare 2 and it is not the bloodest game out there it contains blood but it is not everywhere.-reply by mr.Foxishere

Video gamesHow Do Violent Video Games Affect Children?

Hi my name is justin. I am almost 13. I'm having a huge problem trying to get a video game set/ playstation 3. My mom is very stubborn and I have tried to get one for 1 year. My dad has no problem with it but my mom is crazy. All my friends have game systems and I would really like one. My mom thinks video games rought my brain and make me dumb. I am in 7th grade and an all A student.I really need some advice to make here belive me. Please reply

From, Justin 

-reply by justin 

Hello, I found this information useful. It had helped my understand what positives and negatives games could have on children.I am writing an essay, which is an assignment from our teacher, which has to be about positive and negatives about something.Thanks. :)

games now days are rated if you don't want to let your kid play grand theft auto don't let them if you don't want them seeing saw don't let them im a mature gaming and there are plenty of us so why should I be stopped of playing violent video games because of irresponsible parents and also I don't believe video games and violence on TV affects kids if you teach them correct morals I was allowed to play violent video games when I was 5 i.e street fighter ,streets of rage, alex the kidd , vigilante etc and ive never hurt anyone I think its up to the parents to decide when there child is allowed to play a rated game or not