xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Hurricane Ike Hurricane Ike and Dump people

Well Hurricane Ike has hit the Texas Coast in Galviston, as a Cat 2. What get's me is the Fools that stayed there on Galviston. They had warnings of Certin death, issused by the national hurricane center plus the state of Texas, yet they remaind there. I have beed hearing reports all day of people trapped on the south end of Galviston Island. Why did they not heed the warnings? Could it be that Gustav was not as bad as was first reported? Or are all these people just so head strong that they just did not care, only the man above knows. But It makes me so very upset and mad that they had been told GET OUT OR FACE CERTIN DEATH Quote unquote. Myself growing up in the state of Mississippi and knowing the power of a hurricane, I know what a storm surge and hurricane force winds can do, Not to even talk of the tornados these storms can and offen make. I feel as if your told to leave. LEAVE! No if's and's or buts. Who cares about your stuff. It can be replaced. But you can not replace a life. Never is a long time. and you Never can replace that. All I can really say is my thoughts are with all there in Texas. But if you stayed and was told to leave? You have nobody to blame but yourself.

Edited by Echo_of_thunder (see edit history)

I agree, if they choose to stay, then let them be. I don't understand why they would want to stay while the only thing facing them is a freaking hurricane.. What do they think they can accomplish by staying? Getting in the media: 'Another family dead'? It's absolutely pointless, even if you have to leave your house behind, it's still better than losing your life right?

I'm really sad about this storm, most of my favorite places in galveston are either completely gone (like merdocks and millers) or severly damaged (like the Tremont, the Galvez, and the salt water grill.) It's sad because I love galveston even though the beach is a dump. Anyway, I live four hours away from galveston and Ike was still lower hurricane/upper tropical storm when it got here. Most of my friends houses are flooded. Tree limbs are everywhere. The creeks are over flowing. Roofs are leeking. Car windows are busted. Lots of people lost power. Churches and gyms are filled with evacuees.Anyway yes people should have gotten out of the way, but the same thing goes for that guy who stayed in his house when Mount St. Helen exploded, some people are just so rooted in they wouldn't leave for anything.I'm really worried though, I have a cousin down in Chorpus Christy and I haven't heard from him in a long time. . . oh well we'll just see what happens.

When do you think the storm and hurricane will begin Echo? You must have bad weather in Texas then. :) Does Texas get any sun or any hot days as such? Curious. :)

The earth seems to be really dieing, with so many natural disasters on following another. Storms and hurricanes come so frequently these days. I feel really safe in a country that is not as prone to these, in Singapore.

I think Singapore like Australia is safe from a lot of natural disasters and civil unrest. Although in Australia where I currently live in Darwin there was a bad cyclone Tracey on Christmas day in 1975. They had to rebuild the whole city google it :) We do have some pretty bad floods and bushfires though. Staying at your property at a bushfire is at least survivable if you prepare well. I agree with the above comments that if you face certain death...and it a hurricane you should probably get the heck outta there!In Darwin we have cyclone shelters to go in case of a big one and the building standards were changed after 1975. But still if there was a big one I wouldn't really want to be around! I live right near the sea. I would be outta here!KJ

I do believe the people who stayed are dumb, as like 4-5 have died in Texas/Louisiana already. Looking at the news, the effects look devastating.We, here in Michigan, should get the effects of Ike at around 2AM this morning. They say we get the least of it, 20 mph winds. I still don't see why people don't evacuate during the "mandatory" evacuation. It seems so dumb.

Ike was a bad one, no doubt about that. We are all the way up in Missouri and felt it's effects here. We had a lot of tree damage, and our eletricity was off for nearly 24 hours. We had just fired up the generator and ran it for a few hours so we could chill down the refrigerator and the freezer and run us some water. Shortly after shutting it down again the power came back on. Our whole town was without power, we had gone in to buy gas for the generater and there wasn't a single gas station open that day. While in town the hubby talked to some folks that said it took 4 hours to drive here from Branson, which is normally a 45 minute drive because of trees down accross the roads. I had some friends just south of Houston who decided not to evacuate. They boarded up their windows and prepared as best they could. With modern radar and other weather forcasting tools, in this day and age you get plenty of warning time, and also a good idea of exactly where it is going to hit. Generally you have plenty of time to prepare. Fill up water jugs, get gas for the generator, make sure you are stocked up on batteries, and candles, and easy to prepare foods. They lost a lot of trees in their yard, and some water blew in the house and the carpet was soaked, but other than that they did ok. I am not sure how I would feel about mandatory evacuations. I think if I knew my home wasn't going to take a direct hit, I'd probably try to ride it out too. So many times after you evacuate, you are not allowed to go back how until the "authorities" allow you too. Look at all those people in New Orleans that were forced to stay in that arena even after it was damaged, and out of water, and people were being raped and assulted and it was a total disaster. I do not believe I would want to put myself in that sort of predicament. And if you stay, you can pretect your property from looters and you have several days head start on getting things back together.

One more note of Hurricane Ike and Evacuations

Here is a Patitions that really needs to be signed. It is open To United States Residents only sorry.

I feel as this really needs to be signed. It could and will save a life. As of this writting there still 339 missing thanks to Hurricane Ike, most likely washed out to sea, where this would have kept them alive today

Please sign

Mandatory Evacuation Enforcement for Hurricanes

Yall can gripe all yall want about what you think should be done, but you don't live here like I do. I'm from Johnson Bayou, Louisiana. And we were hit and destroyed by hurricane rita. Only to rebuild and loose it all to hurricane ike.  you whine about generators and having no electricity?? we came back to no community! No churches, stores, or school left. You want a generator, people here need a whole new house. We have to rebuild twice in a three year time.. You want to complaine?? you want to decide what to try to make people do? somewhere you don't even live.? we are not stupid people, we know when to leave and when to stay, its the peoples individual decision, they know what they're up against, but you don't. I'm just saying, you should be grateful for what you have and not complaine.  This is where our lively hood is, where we grew up, where we will always come back to... This is our home. 

-reply by robin