xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lightning73

How Flexible Have You Become?

I've trained wadoryu karate for almost 7 years now and I've noticed that I'm the most flexible guy in the class(school), though I'm also the largest..Now I'm not nearly the most flexible in my karate class, since there are people that actually do the split and such. But I am easily able to touch the floor with my fists while my feet are paired together and my legs are straight.So I'd like to know how flexible other people have become doing martial arts.Please also write what kind of martial arts you have done/are doing, and how long you have been doing it.

Well done you must be quite skilled by now. The mental and physical discipline required and achieved through martial arts is impressive.I did Judo for 6 years from 10-16. We spent a good part of the class in stretches, warm ups, strength exercises etc. I got to the stage when I would sometimes lead the warm ups. Legs, back, neck, hamstrings.... everything was covered. Sitting on mat drawing the bottom of the feet together and toward the body I was able to press both legs down so they touched the ground. Also I was able to easily kneel down then go backwards till my back was touching the ground and hold. If you don't stretch or do a amrtial art these descriptions are hard to imagine.So yes I was very flexible and I have started some of those same exercises as I age and have a few aches and pains. I was also able to use my skill when the school bully decided to pick on me. I out wrestled him, go on top of him then let him go. Then as a large crowd gathered I out wrestled him again and this time put enough pressure on his arm to let him know I could easily hurt him. I once again let him go and he got up and patted me on the back like it was just a big joke and we just playing. We both knew I beat him but I let him maintain his image otherwise I suspected he would find another way to get me...I was not that good at boxing :)The main stretches I do know are neck stretches, side stretches, front stretches hads to ground etc. I went to a few Balance classes (yoga) with my wife and found them to be good value.Thanks for sharing and I hope you continue in your art. I small tip from and old friend of mine who's sister was an Australian Champion-simple yet effective frontal attacks win competitions :)KJ

Although I have been out for about a year with a stubborn knee injury, I can still comment.My style is Shotokan Karate. In that style punches, kicks, blocks and walking forward and backward occur, you need to do certain exercises to learn to punch harder (like punching pads and punch bags) and exercises not only to learn to kick harder, but also higher (achieved by kicking pads, punch bags and stretching).I bought myself a leg stretcher and with this, combined with going to the gym regularly and losing weight, I have noticed my flexibility has benefited a great deal.(Obviously, this also includes my karate practice sessions themselves).I have now noticed that my kicks are going much higher than they used to, I can also stretch my legs much further than before (no stretches yet, though), and the warm-up, where you have to do certain warm-up exercises with crossed legs and reaching over to handle your feet, is now much smoother and easier than ever before.However, having said all the above, you can also benefit from your karate practice alobe, provided you get rid of any excess weight and you do all the exercises truthfully and intensively.

That's cool! i 've always wanted to know how to do martial arts but that's probably gonna be a long way off. So in case i do, i just want to dom some flexibility exercises. I haven't improved that much mainly because i don't stretch that often! i also want to learn how to punch and kick harder!

I did Kung_fu (wushu nothern style) for 5 years During this period i became very flxible and was able to do things liek the splitz.We did continous exrecise and stretches for hours. UNfortunately once i left ( earning a balck sash =]) I did not keep up with the exerise. Now ll my flexibility is gone.I wish I had carried on :P

Honestly, I am not flexible AT ALL. What things seem to be for me is that I am flexible when I need to be. When i take tests like physical fitness tests, I perform at the standard (or higher) for flexibility, but when I do it on my own time, i pretty much fail..It is odd... haha