xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keego

Mac G5 Monitor Goes Black I need help. My monitor for my g5 went black all of a sudden. everythi

HeyI have a g5 Mac.. the Monitor is the one with the clear plastic and white frame . THe monitor is actually on but the screen is totally blackIm not sure if I hit anything .. It makes all the sounds. like if i turn up or down the volume it'll work. but I can't see anything.What should I doIve searched in google but a few of the problems. the questions were never answered properly. So does anyone have a clue about this?

It almost sounds like a loose connection somewhere and of course it being a G5 odds are you don't have a spare computer somewhere to check to make sure its not your computer or the monitor. Of course, since I lack Mac Knowledge it is hard to say what the problem is and so I would suggest taking it to a computer shop that deals with Mac computers only and if you don't have one of those then a regular computer shop and have them poke around and see what is wrong with the computer. Just make sure to tell them not to touch the hard drive if they have to repair something because they will try and reinstall the operating system for the the heck of it.As for what I can think of, do you smell anything funny like a weird burning smell? Also ask them to check the video hardware because most likely that could be the problem as well.

Connecter issue? Have you tried connecting the monitor to another computer? May it be PC or MAC, you can try it on both of them.Have you done the basic troubleshooting? Shutoff the Mac, and restart, if your monitor is still black even on restart, then it is most likely the screen panel is spoiled.Keep me posted on anything you have done.

It sounds like you have an acrylic apple cinema display. Is the power button light on the monitor? (the white light in the lower right hand corner), and when you press it do you hear your computer go to sleep? If the light is not on and computer is on then it is a connection issue, if it is light, then it could be a problem with the backlight in your monitor, or it could be a problem with the graphics card in the computer.

Umm yea. the only thing I've done was restart the computer. and also disconnected and reconnected the monitor. The monitor works and all, only the screen is just plain black. I was watching something and then I'm not sure what happened after that and it just went black. The monitor light is still on. And you can turn it on and off as well . You can even click on the brightness adjuster button. So yeah the monitor is connected properly. everything works ! its jst that it won't show anything but a black screen. I did assume it was something to do with the graphics card. But this is the first mac I got . Usually I use PC so I had no clue what happened.

Ok,Turn off computer unplug power supply then check the vga cable usually blue.unplug the vga completly out of the monitor and the computer next, plug in the power supply start up computer without the monitor on and plugged in the computershould recognise the monitor is not plugged in and try to debug the problem (in my experience)Leave the computer on for about 5-10 mins then turn it off using power button.plug everything back in and it should work.If you find there is no problem with monitor and you can plug it into other computers and it works,tht means you have a problem with your graphics card maybe needs replaced or it has unpluged it selfsomehow.I hope this helps you. good luck

Nah, odds are you burned out the graphics card/vga portion of the motherboard, since it is obvious that the monitor itself works, but you should check the hardware itself and see if anything is loose and if nothing looks loose or anything. Then go get a second opinion on what could be wrong and it comes to no idea, just replace the motherboard unless you have a graphics card then just replace that.

Ok,
Turn off computer unplug power supply then check the vga cable usually blue.
unplug the vga completly out of the monitor and the computer next, plug in the
power supply start up computer without the monitor on and plugged in the computer
should recognise the monitor is not plugged in and try to debug the problem (in my experience)

Leave the computer on for about 5-10 mins then turn it off using power button.
plug everything back in and it should work.

If you find there is no problem with monitor and you can plug it into other computers and it works,
tht means you have a problem with your graphics card maybe needs replaced or it has unpluged it self
somehow.

I hope this helps you. good luck

We are talking abt a apple mac right? Cause it has no blue VGA cable! I think thats only Pc
And yer i tried unpluggin the monitor and all that. but it doesnt work

thanks for the help anyways.

arrg im so screwed.
yer i think ill burrow a friends monitor and see if it works.

Same Problem but slightly different.

Mac G5 Monitor Goes Black

Except my monitor stays on for about one second when I turn on the computer. Then it becomes dim by half for one second. Then it goes black forever. Everytime I restart my computer, this happens. So the monitor obviously works. There's a pop in the monitor right before it goes out, so it's like maybe the backlight just won't stay on? Really really strange.

-reply by kevin

I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but for the record I have this problem on a regular basis. I often use a widescreen 16:9 display for my mac, but when I've set up a different configuration of monitors, it's just black. I know the computer's booted up properly because it responds, and thanks to Leopard, I can screen share from another computer and see its screen. I can even adjust display settings, but it doesn't make any difference. I haven't found a perfect fix, but the booting-with-no-cables-in idea sounds promising. In the past, I just toy with it and reboot a lot and eventually it works.

- Reply by Dillingham

iMac G5 display problemMac G5 Monitor Goes Black

Same exact issue. Unplugging all cable and restarting computer usually brings the display on. Perhaps there is cross-over between cables and video out on the iMac that causes USB or FireWire cables to be mis-represented as video out and the signal goes to video out??

I have had this problem for one year and just restart restart until it comes back on. I have checked capacitors for leakage, video settings, reinstalled OS's and updated to Leopard now. Still the problem of waking from sleep and restarting/turning on computer will still give me black display (as in off). 

-reply by Neverhadapc

Same problem on MacBook Mac G5 Monitor Goes Black

I have the same issue.  My laptop was fine, I turned it off to use another computer, and when I tried to turn it on again half an hour later, the screen was black.  Everything other than the screen seemed to be functioning, I was able to increase the volume, eject my discs etc.  but I even checked the screen brightener to see if that was the problem.  Even after restarting the computer it still had the same problem.  So if anyone fixed theirs please let me know.

-reply by Valerie M.

The Answer to these Problems...Mac G5 Monitor Goes Black

Every one running an All in one Mac power on your mac and emediately hold down these buttons (Control, Apple, P, R... it resets your display settings).. Thats often the problem...  it worked for me...  and is what they taught me to do at the Apple Store.. . YOU WANT TO HOLD THOSE BUTTONS DOWN UNTIL YOU HEAR THE START UP CHIME SEVERAL TIMES AND EVENTUALLY THE SCREEN COMES ON.  Thankz...

D. 

-reply by DaRius Jones

My computer was doing this and I tried everything to fix it, eventually it just fixed itself and my monitor began working again.  Then last night, the same thing happened, but this morning I just turned my computer over and rubbed the back for a few seconds, turned it on, and presto it was working.  I have a feeling it has something to do with a connection or ... God knows what.  I honestly have no idea if this trick will work for anyone else, but I think just moving the mac around winds up reconnecting something and then the monitor works again.  

I've just experienced something similar. My G5 is the variety just prior to the built-in case, making it 5 yrs old. This past weekend, I was away from it for a couple of days to discover it yesterday with a black screen with green & yellow 'candy-canes' running diagonal across the screen, a screaming HD and fans. It's acting as a print and back-up drive server on my home system, which is still fine after a hard reboot. Unfortunately, the screen is totally black now. However, when I share screen through my MacBook, I can see the image I'd expect to see just fine. Since that's true, it would seem the video card is still working but perhaps the screen itself failed? Thoughts?