xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rayzoredge

How Do You Feel About Politics?

I hate talking about politics.I should be paying attention though, especially with the upcoming election of the next U.S. president. But if I go through and do my homework painstakingly on each candidate or each head figure, dig up the dirt, then choose the best person out of the crap pile I have to work with, then realize thousands of other people are going to vote for the other guy anyway because they're single-issue voters, I'm going to be mad. And since I know that will happen, I don't care for politics. :) I could possibly simply just educate myself on the whole realm of politics and know about our candidates for the sake of sharing my knowledge, but why should I do that if I believe that people should have their own, educated opinion? Everyone's voting for their own candidate based not only on what they know, but what they want regarding their perspectives on political issues and whatnot, and who am I to try to convince someone else to try to change their minds on a candidate based on what I "know" about a particular candidate? Who even knows these people? We can only get our information from what the media puts out and what the candidates themselves put out in public, and you know how both are great sources of true information. :) Anyone share my views? Anyone want to put out their perspective?

It is an interesting conundrum that plays out in the political scene the world over. This is not something that is specific to American politics and your upcoming elections there. A few days after the American elections, we here in New Zealand will be going to the polls also for a new government. Yet we face the same challenges that you do, and the same problem that you have outlined above, rayzoredge.

What is politics? Here is one explanation that I have heard. poli = poly (meaning many). tics are blood-sucking insects. So thus poly tics means many blood-sucking insects! :)

Anyway, as to your observation about knowing the candidates, I share your concern. When someone stands for a political office they bring their own perspectives on an issue, such as, say, global warming. But their views must be tempered by the views expressed by the party that they are representing. If their opinions on the issue are opposed to their own party's views then they won't get far. But also, their own background speaks just as loud, if not louder, than their expressed opinions. As the saying goes, "actions speak louder than words". If somebody were to stand for a political office and tout a tough line on big business polluters, for example, and yet it comes out in the media that this same person themselves has a huge carbon footprint, then isn't that hypocritical? Aren't we then getting into the "do as I say, and not as I do" realm of fascism?

However, being a politician is just another job. Compare being a politician to being a burgermeister at McDonalds. You could be flipping burgers all day, feeding up the nation on McD's quality, nutritious, healthy potions (yeah right!) and then go home via the gym, get a good workout and eat really healthily at home. You might even be a vegetarian at home in your own private life. But at work you are responsible for feeding that nasty fatty stuff to the citizenship! Shame on you! Bad, bad person! But as you see, we don't have to force our personal lives to conform to our work lives, or the other way around. There is no requirement to be consistent in life. Take the Internet, for example. Do we have to be the same here in cyberspace as we are in real life? No! We can put on any persona that we want to. As long as we are consistent to that persona here, then there is no problem. What I am trying to say is that we can be good at our jobs, whether we flip burgers at McDonalds or whether we run the nation as political leaders, without our personal lives and personal opinions getting in the way. It is just a job!

Take as an example your American politician Sarah Palin and the story of her unmarried teenage daughter being pregnant. Firstly, does that make Sarah Palin a bad mother? No! It happens in America and around the world all the time, teens getting pregnant. It is a situation that may not be ideal in the eyes of certain groups, such as in religious circles, but it has to be remembered that it is something that even affects teens of strongly religious families sometimes too! But you can't blame the parents for the teen's life choices! Whether the parents are religious or not! And secondly, does it really affect Sarah Palin's ability to do her job as Vice-President if the McCain-Palin ticket wins? No! Not at all!

But it does make a good story, and sells newspapers and increases revenue for the media moguls. And that, in my opinion, is what all the dirty politics is really all about. It's just a show, an extravaganza, put on for your entertainment. When they get into the White House and start doing their jobs, none of it will actually affect what they do or how they do it.