xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
daedworthy

Hp Ipaq I hate my phone

Does anyone have an HP Ipaq? If you do, what do you think of it?I have an HP Ipaq 614c and its completely useless as a mobile phone. When I make a call and hold the phone against my ear my ear will press things on the touch screen and sometimes drop the call.The camera quality isn't that great. The GPS takes about 5 minutes before it finds my location if it works at all. The clip that holds the stylus in broke and now i've lost my stylus :) It's more of a PDA than a phone. The alarm has never woken me up it only goes into alarm mode when you switch the screen on later that morning. The battery will only last 2 days if I'm lucky.I now have started using my old trusty nokia and my life has become simple and easy once again.

ah, common rants for HP iPaq users. If you get to trade in the iPaq, do it and get a better phone. The newer phones which released recently even have simpler yet functional features that a smart phone have, despite its screen size and touch screen capability. For me, i am going after this phone, sony ericsson G702, comes with 3G, touch screen and all other notes jotting application and time management tools too. What fancy me is the price of the phone.Alternatively, you can try looking for ASUS phone series, over here, many uses that and claim good replacement for the IPaqs and cheap alternative to Apple iPhone.

I also have an HP Ipaq 614c and its awful. I'm thinking of getting an Apple IPhone, do you think it will be worth getting or will I have similar problems.I used to have a Nokia 6600 and it was the best phone I ever had. Maybe I should be looking into getting a Nokia? :) So many phones to choose from?

4rq2dd.jpg

I used to have an iPaq H3760, back in the days before Hewlett Packard gobbled up Compaq. In those days I don't think they had even considered adding voice telephony features to a PDA. I can imagine the trouble you are experiencing, daedworthy, trying to use an iPaq as a phone. If your device has bluetooth functionality, why not try using a bluetooth headset with it for voice calls? Another cool idea is to install Skype on it and use a home wireless LAN or free WiFi hotspot to make voice calls via Skype on the iPaq (again, preferably with the bluetooth headset).

The iPaq that I used to have was quite awesome for its time, and even had a 1GB MicroDrive which was molded into a sleeve for the iPaq, which seemed like a Terrabyte of storage space compared to the measly 64MB of installed RAM in the device. No, I couldn't imagine using something that bulky as a telephone. These days I have an HTC Apache, which has all the features of a Windows Mobile 5 based PDA, far superior to the old iPaq, and much easier to use as a telephone, even without the aid of a bluetooth headset. The iPaq wasn't actually mine, unfortunately, but was one of the perks of my job. The Apache that I own now is mine, and I use it all the time for all sorts of things. When they saw my Apache and the way that it was configured, the local telephone retailer said that it was the first time that they had ever seen someone making full use of all the features of a smartphone before! Yeah, I'm a power user of embedded systems, and I'm always looking for new ways to use my smartphone, either with software or hardware add-ons. I have a bluetooth wireless infra-red keyboard and a bluetooth headset. I'm hoping to get a bluetooth stereo headphone system soon for it, and I've played with a bluetooth mouse on it before. I'd also like to get a GPS connection for it one day too.

The iPaq? It went back to my boss and I've never looked back. There's always something new around the corner!

I tried Skype on my Ipaq and it works well, maybe I should try a bluetooth headset, but I read somewhere that there are voice quality issues using the bluetooth headset and the Ipaq 614c. I think all of this has just put me off the Ipaq completely. I was looking at the HTC's before I got the Ipaq, I almost got one but when I compared it to the features of the Ipaq it didn't have as much. I wish I could go back now and change my mind.I think my Ipaq will find a nice new home the scrap heap. ha ha :)

Edited by EdgabtheGreat (see edit history)

I also have an HP Ipaq 614c and its awful. I'm thinking of getting an Apple IPhone, do you think it will be worth getting or will I have similar problems.I used to have a Nokia 6600 and it was the best phone I ever had. Maybe I should be looking into getting a Nokia? :) So many phones to choose from?

Functions + portability + battery life is what you need to seek. If you need PocketPC features then go for the alternatives, HTC, ASUS, O2..etc. If you want to take a break and having fear of having the same problem, then opt for a slightly smarter phone like the one you mentioned :)