xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
2dope

I Want To Make An Mmorpg

But not sure were to start, have some knowledge about C++ and VB but have read that there are programs out there which make making a MMO easier.What are good programs? Any free ones? Are their any that cost?Thanks

First of all, ask yourself on how well verse are you in programming? Good knowledge in DirectX Libraries? Have solid knowledge in network programming?Or you can try to make simple multiplaying games as a start with applications like BLitzBasic, DarkBasic, etc.. A good friend of mine, software engineer started to pick up his gaming programing interest through darkbasic and right now he is working with EA dealing with C++ environment.To make my advice simple, learn to walk before you run :)

First of all, ask yourself on how well verse are you in programming? Good knowledge in DirectX Libraries? Have solid knowledge in network programming?
Or you can try to make simple multiplaying games as a start with applications like BLitzBasic, DarkBasic, etc.. A good friend of mine, software engineer started to pick up his gaming programing interest through darkbasic and right now he is working with EA dealing with C++ environment.

To make my advice simple, learn to walk before you run :)

Hey onscreen, thanks for taking the time to reply. DirectX libraries not a clue to be fair, have faily limited knowledge on VB and C/C++ so I would like to walk before I can run.

Thanks for your recommendations and I will have a look at darkbasic defo :)

Thanks mate.

I would like to walk before I can run.

That's what I like to hear! Too many people want to make an MMORPG before they even know how to program a simple thing. If you have some knowledge of C++ here is what I recommend you do. Go look for the Irrlicht High Perfomrance 3D Engine and start following their tutorials. Then start mixing their tutorials to get, say, Dynamic Lighting and Walking (Which are in 2 separate Tutorials) And then look in the manual to find out how to add things for yourself (Such as Jumping and Crouching, which are not in any of their tutorials)

Taking this route will be a slow route to an MMORPG, but you can start with making an FPS, then learn how to make a Third Person Camera, then learn how to do peer-to-peer networking, then learn Server-Client networking. It will be slow, but it will be so worth it. It will be so much fun and you'll learn some great stuff!

The thing is... An MMORPG can mean a LOT of things... Take SGW (Stargate Wars) as an example... Even though it IS browser based, it is still classified as an MMORPG...But considering you want to make an MMORPG out of C++/C etc then... Get a Game Engine first unless you want to program your own engine. Start with something simple first. i.e. Greyish blobs of un-textured objects having basic controls on a flat map.And then move on to like textured blobs having more advanced controls on a terrain, and vice versa.First, aim for something REALLY high. Make that your goal and slowly build up towards it. If you can just have greyish objects that can be controlled from each different computer over an online network with a sufficient GUI and that. Just texture the grey objects and voilah... A MMORPG with *not so good* graphics...Start off with a basic principle. It can easily be compared to making a web page. You don't just star at the top and make your way down designing all the graphics as you go. You would star with a basic layout first and then add the graphics, etc...Also consider getting sponsorships if you are really serious about making an MMORPG. Consider making it open-source as then you would probably benefit from a volunteer "Development Team"...Good luck, :)

Well...start off small, dont be like: OMG IM GONNA MAKE A NEW MMORPG THAT WILL MAKE ME MILLIONS!Start of with a private server, coded in C++ or VB, like a TitanMS (which is the C++ source of Maplestory) Maplestory Private server. Code NPCs, Quests, etc, etc...And Im pretty sure that there are more than just Maple private servers coded in C++.BUT personally, I reccomend learning Java, which is almost like an advanced version of C++ and will get you WAYYY farther than C++ and VB. Because more things and games are coded in Java, and I can go on and on about how much farther u will get with Java.Hope this helps!