xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
csp4.0

We're Not Going To Die Today! LHC is NOT going to doom us ALL

So today at school... Everybody shouts "We're all going to DIE!!! AHH!!!" That annoys me so much.They have absolutely NO idea what the LHC actually does, and most of the peers just say that it is trying to re-create a black hole. The LHC CANNOT create a black hole. It doesn't have the mass to create it. Even if it does it would take a long time to consume all of the Earth (And a theory brought up by a friend suggested that it wouldn't even consume the Earth, and because of its gravitational potential, would disrupt the Earth's rotation around the sun and the black hole would be pulled towards the Sun instead of staying right inside CERN...)But even IF a black hole IS created, Hawking Radiation (If it exists, which I REALLY hope does) would render the black hole non-existent before it even showed up on Atlas' scanners (might be an exaggeration though... :?)But there are things worse than a black hole (metaphorically) and that is strangelets. They are called strangelets because they are strange and do not behave in any way that is stated by the laws of physics meaning they could be anything and could do anything... But the main theory suggests that they cause fusion reactions on whatever they touch and as a result turns whatever they touch into more strangelets.But LHC won't go wrong. This is like the time 11:59 59 Dec 31st 1999 again.There is like a 0.02% (or something) percent chance that LHC will malfunction. Even if it does, its probably an overheat in one of its magnets or a mouse chews though a technician's mouse cable (which if this were Final Destination would of course lead off in a much worse direction). LHC will NOT go wrong! Tell this to everyone! Even if it does we will NOT die today because of the LHC! Spread the word! Just because someone that looks like Gordan Freeman is in charge of the LHC's project does NOT mean that something will go wrong. We might as well expect LHC to go wrong on [somedate] in 2012.LHC will probably not succeed... The 12 million Gigabytes of data will probably just be a bunch of information that we already know. I say, abandon the LHC and make a VLHC! (Very Large Hadron Collider)

You should've done something random a second before the LHC started up. If school was during that period of time, I would've done something spontaneous. And then blame it on the LHC :)

This is like the time 11:59 59 Dec 31st 1999 again.

The one to worry about is 11:59:59 Dec 31st 2027...

Just because someone that looks like Gordan Freeman is in charge of the LHC's project does NOT mean that something will go wrong.

That picture was awesome :)
Anyways, isn't it that the LHC isn't at full power for a couple of weeks? So we should worry that we could die in any time in the next couple of weeks?

Oh and a question: LHC = Large Hadron Collider. This term is ambiguous. Is it a collider for large hadrons, or a large collider of hadrons? I mean the collider is large, but is it colliding large hadrons also? Which would make it a pun!?

edit) There's a SUPER LARGE HADRON COLLIDER!? This changes things... I thought you were predicting that the LHC would work until 2012!
Edited by Nabb (see edit history)

I suddenly am very confused... I feel like I missed the boat, and have no idea just what is going on. I suppose it's time for me to google this mysterious thing that is supposed to be ending the world, because I have no idea what you all are even talking about XD I'm so out of the loop, it's not even funny anymore lol...

Of-course we're not...this happened in Switzerland, I doubt it would affect us in the UK and the other countries. But yeah. I'm very surprised the earth didn't blow up, especially with two Atomic bombs. :) Those evil Scientists are so evil. :)

Why would they try re-creating the "black hole" earth? Or something similar to that. Posted Image

Of-course we're not...this happened in Switzerland, I doubt it would affect us in the UK and the other countries. But yeah. I'm very surprised the earth didn't blow up, especially with two Atomic bombs. :) Those evil Scientists are so evil. :)

Why would they try re-creating the "black hole" earth? Or something similar to that. Posted Image

Human is a curious being, maybe they want to know everything in this universe, but however something cannot be learned by mind but only with heart.

Since they are creating black holes, they must want to know if their theory about black hole is correct, and is there someway to bend dimension using black hole, maybe they are going to learn about this dimension thing just like the Philadelphia experiment, or they have acquired some new knowledge and currently moving forward the newer knowledge so that they can conquer the god? Or at least become god of the world?

I can't say too much more that what has already been said, however I can add an image. Occasionally there is a perfect xkcd comic strip to match a topic here on Xisto, and on those times I like to share them with you. So without further adieu:

Posted Image

Well, "Doomsday" passed and to give a tribute to "Doomsday" I watched the Doctor Who episode "Doomsday"...Anywhom...We haven't died yet. We will eventually die. But the thing is... LHC was only testing if it was working and if the magnets and such were all aligned probably and the helium cooling system XD (Helium>Nitrogen)... But it should start doing the REAL experiments very soon...And it is scheduled to be upgraded into a SLHC (Super Large Hadron Collider) during 2012 (Which is the year the mayan calendar stops)...Meh, we are still alive... LHC is like when cars were just made. People thought travelling at 50km/h was a health risk... In like 50 years time (if we live that long) humanity will be saying similar things to the LHC test...

just a note: when cars are invented, they are slower than the main transportation of that time which is horses.and a theory car crash is not worse than a possible end of the world. just hope they won't do the test with dark matter

:) jopak134. They've already done that atomic bomb test. Now we just wait to see what happens.I doubt they'd let two more off. The earth might not be able to take it. :) As for the earth is going "die" as people keep saying, well congratulations for watching the News! :D But we will not die. That would take more then five atomic bombs to destroy Planet Earth, don't you think?

yeah, some freaking lunatics were running up and down the dorm yesterday screaming how were all gonna die, they started peeling off their clothes and yodeling,O_o i feel bad for them today, they looked sooo very dumb.

Well a fusion reaction is uncontrollable, and they are doing a fusion reaction, if it starts then it may get worse and maybe it will be impossible to stop. Forget blackholes but what about the uncontrollable fusion reactions, they can destroy the whole earth. Who the hell gave them permission to do such experiments in which they have a risk to destroy the whole mankind?? This is just insane, if it gets worse, we're all doomed.

Well, I doubt people in the UK will get harmed by it. And this happened in Switzerland, so UK won't be affected. :) I hope we won't anyway, that would be a nightmare.

The LHC created a black hole even before it was switched on!

How many billions of dollars have disappeared into it since they started building it? And what benefit is it going to be on a global scale? Is it going to feed the starving millions in Africa? Is it going to bring peace to the Middle East? It seems to be that it is just a black hole, sucking up money for the sake of it. If they spent as much money on figuring out the problems on our own planet as they do on figuring out the problems of the universe, then we would all be better off!