xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
burgen

The Airbus A380

was introduced several days ago, http://www.airbus.com/

The question is, will larger planes bust or profit. Larger planes do have higher running costs and have to have certain numbers of customer to balance the cost, together with its size, only a few airport can afford to run such planes. most likely such planes will be used in international routes, will there be enough customers to fill in?

In a word: YES. I saw the article for that beast the other day, seems wicked cool. And believe me, the reception would be unbelievable. The upper 1% will gladly make their international business trips on this luxury airliner with no regrets. I find it to be a phenomenal craft, and there's not a doubt in my mind that this thing is going to have a HUGE impact on the way we travel.

ya .. i think the airbus a380 will be a success. Sure it will be more profitable that boeing 747 or other similar plane as it can bring more passangers :P

Larger planes do have higher running costs and have to have certain numbers of customer to balance the cost, together with its size, only a few airport can afford to run such planes. most likely such planes will be used in international routes, will there be enough customers to fill in?

I think that it will be more profitable to fly 500 passenger in a plane rather than 250 in 2 planes. There will always be enough customers to fill .. dun worry .. if not y u see an airline flies so often between 2 places ? :D like 3 times in a day ..

I defintely think so too, the intention of Airbus380 desginers was to create a commerical-sized plane and offer it at a low price [$240 million per plane, something i could never afford in my life time :P ]. They want to retake the airplane market, which is curently dominated by Boeing Airplane company, currently, their 747 is the most popular passenger plane in the world

I defintely think so too, the intention of Airbus380 desginers was to create a commerical-sized plane and offer it at a low price [$240 million per plane, something i could never afford in my life time  :P ]. They want to retake the airplane market, which is curently dominated by Boeing Airplane company, currently, their 747 is the most popular passenger plane in the world

42308[/snapback]

plane selling is now strongly associated with politics, at least to China, China has bought a lot of airbus planes not because they good but because they are not produced in USA. boeing planes are a little too old and they definitly need to make new models.

plane selling is now strongly associated with politics, at least to China, China has bought a lot of airbus planes not because they good but because they are not produced in USA. boeing planes are a little too old and they definitly need to make new models.

42351[/snapback]

Defeintelty, China is a fast growing ecnomy with a desperate need in fast and reliable planes, in fact, AirBus is somewhat hoping that a mjority of it's 380 sales will go into the Asian market. A fast gorwing population, along with a high-tech boom occuring in Asia, this defeintly gives Airbus the advantage on dominating the Asain airplane market.

The New A380 is an amazing peice of engineering. The sheer size of it, wand what it offers, as well as its added efficiency make it truely the greatest passanger airliner in the world. it can carry 555 passengers. That is a hell of a lot of people.
Its good to see Airbus doing well. They've already securred many orders for the A380 already. Not surprised really, it is the best out there. The statistics speak for themselves:

The 555-seat A380 passenger aircraft has a range of up to 8,000nm/15,000km, allowing it to fly non-stop between Europe and Asia, while the three-deck long-range freighter version, the A380F, will be able to carry up to 152 tonnes/ 335,000 lbs of cargo on standard pallets over distances of up to 5,600nm/10,400km. Incorporating the most advanced technologies available in this decade, it will be the most fuel efficient and environmentally friendly airliner ever built, while offering unequalled levels of passenger comfort and cargo carrying capability. First passenger operations are scheduled to begin in 2006 when the A380 is due to enter service. In addition, the first A380F, the freighter version of the aircraft, is expected to begin operations in 2008.

Although i heard on the radio that they havent actually flight tested it yet so it might plumi, or not even take off. It should, and most defintely will but theres still the slight chance that someone forgot to "carry the one" :P

HiI think the plane is going to be very cost efficient, flying more passengers for each trip. Tickets will be very affordable as far as I have heard. The bigger the planes the safest they are supposed to be. Fedex and UPS in the states have ordered several as it will cost the same to run as their other planes but will carry a third more in packages.Airlines that will purchase it can have it customized the way they want it with full suites, gym area and all sort of things.Maybe an 18 holes golf course? Ok kidding on that last one :P Patrick

I say yes, but only for high class international flights, and it could possibly be used as a second to air force one, but it does seem quite big to fit in most airports, so either the airports expand, or this plane sees limited usability.and i think my image hosting company went out of buisiness because none of my sigs are showing.

If someone could find a direct comparrison with a Boeing 747 that would be awesome. As far as I saw, it is bigger, lighter and more fuel efficient than the 30 or so year old 747.

I read from the Boeing site, they were going to release a new luxury jet, that may counter the Airbus A380 but to me it seems they are on different markets. One is for luxury, the other one is for commercial and economy styled. I don't think it's going to compete with the Airbus A380 that well...xboxrulz

alperuzi, here's the comparison:

Airbus A380-800Boeing 747-400ER

Dimensions

Length
72.8 m
70.7 m

Height
24.1 m
19.4 m

Wingspan
79.8 m
64.4 m

Wing area
845 m2
541 m2

Cabin width
6.58 m
6.10 m

Weights

Operating empty
277,000 kg
181,755 kg

MTOW
540,000 kg
362,875 kg

Powerplants

No. engines
4 turbofans
4 turbofans

Max engine thrust
374 kN (84,000 lb)
276 kN (62,000 lb)

Performance

Cruising speed
902 km/h
907 km/h

Max speed
945 km/h
939 km/h

Range
14,800 km
14,205 km

Capacity

Flightcrew

Seating (typical)
416 (23/78/315)

Seating (max)

Cargo
N/A
137-158.6 m3

Top is Airbus A 380 and bottom is Boeing 747

For a better look here!

xboxrulz

oohh .. the dimension of airbus a380 is slightly bigger than boeing 747 but the capacity of airbus is better . this may suggest that design of airbus a380 is more space saving :Pand also 2 levels .. but i wonder if there's really that much people want a business class or first class seats. I've seen that airbus has added alot of business class seats in a380. May be im just too poor .. or perhaps people r so rich nowadays :P

I love the idea, yet for normal average working class people it will be pricey. Not everyone will be able to enjoy the full effect of the a380. I saw it a while back on discovery and i was like : "whoa!" - but i or my family can't afford it. If i get a good job after i study, i'll just takea a normal place to thailand (i really want to go again, i went when i was a kid).