xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Password Protecting My Webpage Help Needed Can any one assist me ?

Hello friends , i have been hosting a website which has a phpBB2 forum and i have a lot of spam accounts inspite of the captcha which is present in the registration form . So i had already posted that matter and all the solutions did not stop spammers from creating a account . All that i could do was just stop them from posting in the forum, still spammers account ID are visible in the members List So now i thought of protecting the webpage itself with a password . Let me explain it to you clearly , my phpBB2 forum is intalled in a directory by name "phpBB2" So i tried to protect this "Password Protect Directories" option in the cpanel . I selected this directory and i applied a username and a password so that when people try to access my forum they will be prompted as we are prompted when we try to login to our cpanel. But unfortunately this did not work for me , So please kindly help me regarding this .Still if i can get the above thing to work , i will not be in a position to advertise my site because of the password protection. Its ok provided doing so i can avoid spammers.Adding on is it possible for me to protect the REGISTRATION form page alone in my phpBB2 forum with a password ? So that when they click register in the forum they will be prompted for the same as we are prompted for the cpanel password, so that i can give the username and password to all the people who i want them to join the community , on the other hand i can display a message in the registration page , "If you dont know the password contact me through mail and get it inorder to register in this board" . So is there any possiblity for that .All this i do just to keep away spammers from joining my forum. So do Consider my case and help me out .Thanks a Lot in Advance ...

It seems if they get past the captcha and other methods they are human spammers, not bots, so keep that in mind.Is there not an option in your forum to approve all accounts before they become active? That way you can manually go through and approve those you know and recognize and reject the rest.

Just make a new usergroup called "banned" and move all the spammers accounts to that group. Or create aswell as "banned", a "Duplicate Account" group. I don't know what you mean by the Password protect the Directories sorry. I don't use this at the moment. :)

ahh friends , so now what i decided is to get rid of even human bots , so the only way is that to protect my webpage , i mean if there is a way out to protect the Registration page in my phpBB2 forum with my user name and password and share the same with my friends whom i wanna have in my forum then i can be totally free from spammers , i mean both human spammers and BOTS , so please let me know is this method possible .Thanks in Advance ..