xisto Community
burgen

Future Os Concept

it is my perception on future OS, just some random thoughtsInternet already is a indispensible part of computer and future OS will be focus on better using and serving Internet.nowadays most PC are clients of the whole network, in the future, one important feature of OS will be making every PC a client as well as server.for example, by default /my documents will be home directory of servers like web server, ftp server or mail server, but by default everything is kept private but you can make anything public by simply right-click the item. you can also encrpyt you public items by assigning passwords or IP restrictions. Thus web publishing and file sharing will be as easy as a few clicks.

While you're building this new OS, can you make it less vulnerable to viruses, adware, spyware, hijacking, and all of the other little things that the internet lets creep into one's home via the phone or cable line? Lots of people like me are not good at knowing what to install or configure. My PC is a mess, because though I use some blockers, I didn't realize that my daughter was using IM without the browser so no protection was in place. Can't seem to clean it all up now.

While you're building this new OS, can you make it less vulnerable to viruses, adware, spyware, hijacking, and all of the other little things that the internet lets creep into one's home via the phone or cable line?  Lots of people like me are not good at knowing what to install or configure.  My PC is a mess, because though I use some blockers, I didn't realize that my daughter was using IM without the browser so no protection was in place.  Can't seem to clean it all up now.

42011[/snapback]

security might be concern, but it is a concept, so let's not think about those things for a second, techniquely it can be solved.

Alright, how many people here have actually attempted to code an OS?
Nadie I'm sure. I hate it when people don't know what they're talking about,
but going on... :rolleyes:

one important feature of OS will be making every PC a client as well as server

Don't think so. What are you going to do? Apache your Win distribution? Ohyeah, and how much does IIS cost? A US thousand right? How much does
that add to the retail price of a computer? Quite a bit. What does that do?
Lower customers. ... = not going to happen.

Besides, which genius decides to build an OS specializing in the internet?
Isn't that what the prgm's are for? After all, an OS is meant to be system
code dealing with hard computations fast. That means x86 asm, C/C++,
PERL even. I can understand an optimization for internet management
routine, but come on, this is not sensible. I understand both of your
web development viewpoints, but practically, not going to happen.

But...

While you're building this new OS, can you make it less vulnerable toviruses, adware, spyware, hijacking...

Yes and no. If it enables a 'ignore network access' then right. If not, then
it's not possible, no matter how hard you try. Here, the Hacker's Manifesto.

Alright, how many people here have actually attempted to code an OS?Nadie I'm sure. I hate it when people don't know what they're talking about,
but going on... :rolleyes:
Don't think so. What are you going to do? Apache your Win distribution? Oh
yeah, and how much does IIS cost? A US thousand right? How much does
that add to the retail price of a computer? Quite a bit. What does that do?
Lower customers. ... = not going to happen.

while 20 years ago i don't know what is PC, 10 years ago I though it is impossible for every family to buy a PC, how much will that cost? so, you never know, the cost thing will not be concern at all. specializtion is very possible, different OS, or same OS with different building blocks may be developed for different users.

one trend of technology is that technolgy becomes more complex itself while simper for users to use. like blogger, you don't need to know anything about html, web hosting, php or sql and yet you can make a blog.

so in the future it may happen that every pc is a server, indeed it expanded the internet infinitly and make publishing, file transfering and sharing much easier.

so in the future it may happen that every pc is a server

You can say that burgen, but what's the point?every transatlantic cable would be overloaded with
communications. In the US that's fine, they made too many,
but for our European friends... sorry guys.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but it's hard to make practical.
In the mean time, stick with the BitTorrent client :P

You can say that burgen, but what's the point?

every transatlantic cable would be overloaded with

communications. In the US that's fine, they made too many,

but for our European friends... sorry guys.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but it's hard to make practical.

In the mean time, stick with the BitTorrent client :P

42120[/snapback]

again, this is assuming that technology also advanced enough that bandwidth may not be a problem.

and that is just a concept, in today's world there are too many concepts, it is a matter of which do you invest time and money in, whatever concept you believe in, with enough time and money throwing in it will happen. And thus the trend of technology is not based one the minds of genius but on the minds of the CEOs of big companies.

like the story of RDRam, great idea, great product, no success.

That would be grate in an ideal world i.e a world without microsoft but aslong as there the main os manufacturer there'll be nothing close to good apart from linux, any way the most important thing is security, like killing viruses.

That would be grate in an ideal world i.e a world without microsoft but aslong as there the main os manufacturer there'll be nothing close to good apart from linux, any way the most important thing is security, like killing viruses.

43598[/snapback]

while I don't think microsoft is that bad, without it probably we will not have the computer world today, without windows probably computers still are only exist in labs or factories.

Talking about security, I don't think viruses are the major problems, it is the spyware and adware and trojen horse that are threats, these things don't break your PC, so normal users don't know whether you have them or not, instead they steal the CPU power, internet bandwidth, the user information (credit card, address, phone, etc). and these things are everywhere today, take 10 computers you will find them from about 7 of them. and since they don't break PC, normal users will not know and try to fix them.

while I don't think microsoft is that bad, without it probably we will not have the computer world today, without windows probably computers still are only exist in labs or factories.

Talking about security, I don't think viruses are the major problems, it is the spyware and adware and trojen horse that are threats, these things don't break your PC, so normal users don't know whether you have them or not, instead they steal the CPU power, internet bandwidth, the user information (credit card, address, phone, etc). and these things are everywhere today, take 10 computers you will find them from about 7 of them. and since they don't break PC, normal users will not know and try to fix them.

43669[/snapback]

yes guys..

market is the most important point that can be make the consumer blind about the product feature/capabilities.

i remember, there was apple in 15 year ago, launching the os with windows basic. fantastic. but they was just very expensive. in another place, microsoft also launch windows ver 1.0... untilt 3.x beside MS-DOS. so the war is begining. i thing now, the stategic of microsoft to dominate the market is make windows-OS become a winner, than macintosh or other else. although we still found many bugs in wondows. linux is new player with another strategic - freeware. we just waiting for see the next OS winner.

I think that it's quite obvious where the future of the OS lies. The OS of the future will consist of one very specialized browser that supports 3d rendering, some very cool networking features, massive security, and MINIMAL core components. Gameplay will be local still, but little other that that will be required on your desktop. Files will be stored securely on your hard drives, but new browser technologies will allow trusted websites to interact directly with the system. Obviously security is the FIRST thing that needs to be addressed in this type of system, but shifting the power to web developers is definitely the right thing to do, since these are the programmers working the hardest for their money. Windows is too secure in their domination, and therefore not concerned about integrating new features or stabilizing old ones. Firefox will power the OS of the future, and maybe a minimal Ubuntu base :) Just my thoughts.-Drew

The future OS will be completely abstract for the end-users. Even today to do some advanced tasks, we require some technical knowldedge to troubleshoot. The future OS must completely encapsulate all the complexities and provide an easy interface to the user. The end-user must completely be unaware what a real computer OS is. It must use very advanced Graphical User Interface and 3D interfaces with very advanced user experience.

The best OS should be easy to use. It should be full of features, also clean of bugs. The translation work must be given out to proffesionalists, so they to make an accurate work. Open-source-ness of the shell will give the advanced users the chance to customise the whole environment.

Probably it could come true in the near future only if we can make better internet conections.
Just like the post 'Download HD movie in 1 sec', if that can come true to an extent that everyone can afford it, probably every PC can be attempted to be made into client as well as a server!!

And please don't rip the poor guy apart, those were just his "Random thoughts". Can't a guy just think out aloud??

Won't like to predict the future. But here's what Microsoft is doing Singularity

Link

Singularity is a research project focused on the construction of dependable systems through innovation in the areas of systems, languages, and tools. We are building a research operating system prototype (called Singularity), extending programming languages, and developing new techniques and tools for specifying and verifying program behavior.

Advances in languages, compilers, and tools open the possibility of significantly improving software. For example, Singularity uses type-safe languages and an abstract instruction set to enable what we call Software Isolated Processes (SIPs). SIPs provide the strong isolation guarantees of OS processes (isolated object space, separate GCs, separate runtimes) without the overhead of hardware-enforced protection domains. In the current Singularity prototype SIPs are extremely cheap; they run in ring 0 in the kernel?s address space.

Singularity uses these advances to build more reliable systems and applications. For example, because SIPs are so cheap to create and enforce, Singularity runs each program, device driver, or system extension in its own SIP. SIPs are not allowed to share memory or modify their own code. As a result, we can make strong reliability guarantees about the code running in a SIP. We can verify much broader properties about a SIP at compile or install time than can be done for code running in traditional OS processes. Broader application of static verification is critical to predicting system behavior and providing users with strong guarantees about reliability.