xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jesseruu

Using Grub To Dual Boot With Opensuse And Dsl

Hey,I am running opensuse 10.2 using its the opensuse grub boot loader.Now I want to dual boot with DSL running off my SD card in my laptops inbouilt cardreader.I know all I most probably have to do is add a few lines to some file. But since I don't want to spend days trying to figure out how to add a OS to grub.DSL says the SD card is 'sda1'.My computer is an EeePc. :) Thanks

In OpenSuSE, go to the directory where GRUB is installed, probably /boot/grub. In that directory open the file device.map to see where GRUB considers your current hardware set-up. Check what HD number is given to /dev/sda and remember it. If you do not see it in the device.map file, then you'll have to tell GRUB to regenerate the device.map file (see below). Open up /boot/grub/grub.conf for editing, as root. We'll just add three new lines for DSL (you can remove the comments):

title DSL# replace "hd0,0" with the location of the SD card# View http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Quick_GRUB#Step_2:_The_GRUB_Prompt for more info concerning HD numbering# Also, replace "/boot/kernel" with the actual path to the DSL Kernelkernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1# replace "/boot/initrd" with the actual path to the DSL initramfs fileinitrd /boot/initrd
Save, restart and see if it boots DSL. If it doesn't, then double check all paths.

[hr=noshade] [/hr]

If device.map does not show your SD card position, then do the following:

In order to invoke GRUB, you have to be in a chroot environment:

CONSOLE
sudo chroot /

You need to remove the current device.map file, but we'll back it up instead, just in case (assuming it's located at /boot/grub/device.map):

CONSOLE
mv /boot/grub/device.map /boot/grub/device.map.backup

Now make sure your SD card is plugged in. Then we tell GRUB to regenerate the device map (assuming device.map was located at /boot/grub/device.map):

CONSOLE
grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map

Then exit completely.

In OpenSuSE, go to the directory where GRUB is installed, probably /boot/grub. In that directory open the file device.map to see where GRUB considers your current hardware set-up. Check what HD number is given to /dev/sda and remember it. If you do not see it in the device.map file, then you'll have to tell GRUB to regenerate the device.map file (see below). Open up /boot/grub/grub.conf for editing, as root. We'll just add three new lines for DSL (you can remove the comments):

title DSL# replace "hd0,0" with the location of the SD card# View http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Quick_GRUB#Step_2:_The_GRUB_Prompt for more info concerning HD numbering# Also, replace "/boot/kernel" with the actual path to the DSL Kernelkernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel root=/dev/sda1# replace "/boot/initrd" with the actual path to the DSL initramfs fileinitrd /boot/initrd
Save, restart and see if it boots DSL. If it doesn't, then double check all paths.

[hr=noshade] [/hr]

If device.map does not show your SD card position, then do the following:

In order to invoke GRUB, you have to be in a chroot environment:

CONSOLE
sudo chroot /

You need to remove the current device.map file, but we'll back it up instead, just in case (assuming it's located at /boot/grub/device.map):

CONSOLE
mv /boot/grub/device.map /boot/grub/device.map.backup

Now make sure your SD card is plugged in. Then we tell GRUB to regenerate the device map (assuming device.map was located at /boot/grub/device.map):

CONSOLE
grub --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map

Then exit completely.

Hey,

What is 'kernal' and 'initrd'? I don't know which file is which. :)

According to device.map my sd card is 'hd0'.

I am really confused...

Hey,
What is 'kernal' and 'initrd'? I don't know which file is which. :)

According to device.map my sd card is 'hd0'.

I am really confused...

Can you provide me with a list of the files located in your /boot directory in the DSL partition? I may then be able to help point out which is your kernel for DSL and which is the initramfs file for your DSL set-up. These two parts are very important. Without them you will not be able to boot into your DSL set-up.