xisto Community
mm22

Print Server Help problems with router/print server

Hi,wondering if someone can help me out with this...I'm trying to set up a router with print server capabilities in my office. The router/switch has four LAN ports and a WAN port to connect it to the modem/gateway (sorry if using wrong terms...). It also has a USB port where a printer can be hooked up.Now, if I connect the WAN port to the corporate LAN network and a PC to one of its LAN ports the router will assign a "subnet IP address" (e.g. 192.168.0.x) to the PC and the PC will thus be able to access the internet and also to print, so far so good :)The thing is, we don't want to have computers attached to the router this way as their IP addresses would be hidden behind that of the router, thus we would like to use the router uniquely as print server, thus using only its WAN port to connect to the corporate LAN and its USB port to the printer... will that work?Here is what I did:1. went on the router management page in the browser and found out the IP address the router had been assigned on the WAN side (e.g. in the corporate subnet)2. on another computer attached to the corporate network set up a port [winXP>Add printer>Local printer>Create a new port] with the above IP address of the router and all other parameters same as before, when I was using instead the subnet address 192.168.0.1 (the address of the router with pc attached to it)3. result --> FAILEDany help with that would be appreciated, maybe I'm just trying to do something that cannot work because of my limited knowledge of networking :)thanks!ps the router model is DI-524UP from D-Link

What you need to do is try this:-Check the manual for your router (probably in PDF format on the disc supplied)Find the default IP address of the box and the default username and passwordNote these down and in your browser address tab type the IP address example 192.168.0.xLog into the unit and switch off the DHCP server somtimes will be 'automacally assign IP addresses' or variations of that natureIf your printer is not equiped with a network port and needs the USB connection, assign an IP address this port on the switch in line with other computers on your networkSave the changes and log outSwitch the unit off and and on just to make sure it updates itself correctly, then you can assign the printer on your computers to a network printer which (if its behaving itself) windows will be able to locate automatically.Best of luck.